Three Death Metal Albums for the road...

JayKeeley said:
There's an element of truth to that to be fair, how couldn't it be? Writing from real experience surely has to be more motivating than writing lyrics from a book that someone else wrote.

Yet you love Summoning, eh?

I like themes in a band, if it works. Slough Feg sounds Irish, and they are from San Francisco. Who cares, because they rock! Same with Nile, they could base their music on the merits of handblown cotton candy (old school), as long as they keep kicking ass, they'll keep... kicking ass! YEAH! :kickass:

Demilich said:
So take Ressurection Through Carnage instead and enjoy a GOOD back to basics DM album!
Blech, I sold that crap long ago. :tickled:

One Inch Man said:
JayK, I gave you a copy of The Final Chapter didn't I? Get to that one ever?

Didn't I do a summary write up or thread about it where we all discussed it? Unless you gave me more than one Hypocrisy....hmmm. Sorry, can't remember if it was TFC specifically, but at least one Hypocrisy CD-R you gave me totally owned me. I remember I was working in Florida at the time...

JayKeeley said:
Hypocrisy > Edge of Sanity

It's true and you all know it.
Well DUH. :tickled:

Hypocrisy is the only group I've discovered over the past many years that is up there with Carcass and Morbid Angel. Maybe Nile, but only because of In Their Darkened Shrines.

Demilich said:
Yet you love Summoning, eh?

Yeah, I like Nile too. What's your point?

I'm not saying that writing from other people's perspectives automatically qualifies you to be shit, I'm just saying that it can't be as honest. It's all fiction at the end of the day.

But get this....."if it's good, it's good enough". Period.

JayKeeley said:
Didn't I do a summary write up or thread about it where we all discussed it? Unless you gave me more than one Hypocrisy....hmmm. Sorry, can't remember if it was TFC specifically, but at least one Hypocrisy CD-R you gave me totally owned me. I remember I was working in Florida at the time...
Probably, I'll have to search for it then. Too many CD-Rs flying around everywhere.

lurch70 said:
exactly ... :loco:

this is why a band like Mellechesh does not bother me ... or Orpahend Land

it's like me starting a band and basing my career about Belgium ... WTF?

or a band called Morbid Angel basing their entire catalogue on Mesopatamia :Spin:

or bands from France singing about war and pagan hymns, because we all know the French are pansies.

funny ... I have to laugh at it, but I don't think I ever had it out for a band as bad as Nile. They just fucking irk me :D

J. said:
or a band called Morbid Angel basing their entire catalogue on Mesopatamia :Spin:

or bands from France singing about war and pagan hymns, because we all know the French are pansies.

MA can be forgiven as they are the originators of it all .. and their themes are more universal :loco:

So does this mean Absu is full of shit since their music is based on occultism and Celtic mythology, and they are from Texas?

Also, since Proscriptor is from Texas and in Melechesh, does this mean Melechesh are only 75% honest?

Lurch knows where it's at. BRT destroys everything in its sight. And, to the damn sceptics in the house - if BRT's so damn generic and all that, why do they write riffs that are better than 98% of all other DM riffs?

Melechesh is one of the most overrated bands on this board, by the way. I like two of their songs, both are from Sphynx. Djinn just plain blows.

Henrik Main said:
Lurch knows where it's at. BRT destroys everything in its sight. And, to the damn sceptics in the house - if BRT's so damn generic and all that, why do they write riffs that are better than 98% of all other DM riffs?

Because 99% of all death metal sucks ass. And no, BRT is not in the 1%.

Melechesh is one of the most overrated bands on this board, by the way. I like two of their songs, both are from Sphynx. Djinn just plain blows.

I'm not gonna say they have released any masterpieces, but I enjoy 'em. At least they offer something different.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I love death metal, but just the good shit. And 99% of any music genre sucks.

Henrik Main said:
Melechesh is one of the most overrated bands on this board, by the way.
Agreed. I don't know them really well but what I've heard was way boring.

What is a death metal masterpiece? Altars of Madness? Heartwork? Effigy of the Forgotten? Crimson? Left Hand Path?

Does anything from Melechesh rank among those? Probably not. Are they better than most DM bands out there TODAY? Yep. Certainly the most original - name one band that sounds like Melechesh.

And if it's not Melechesh that are the most important DM band today, it's possibly Nile. But I give Melechesh a bonus point for being the genuine article, plus having improved with every release. You could say that about Nile, but I bet if you asked, the vast majority of people would say Black Seeds is their magnum opus.

J. said:
Also, since Proscriptor is from Texas and in Melechesh, does this mean Melechesh are only 75% honest?

Honesty is in the lyrics and theme. Proscriptor just bangs a drum after the music's been written and sent to him via e-mail, he doesn't write the music. It only takes one person to be genuine. Karl Sanders is not a fucking Egyptian, nor is he a Nubian. You can't get more cracker than blue eyes Sanders. :tickled: