Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
THYRANE - HYPNOTIC
Century Media - 2003

By Rodrigo Escandon

thyrane_hypnotic_naula039%20copy.jpg

Hmm…

So here we have another black metal band that decides to move into the more avant-garde side of music, basically stripping their music out of their roots, injecting industrial sounding synthesizers, simplifying the music and you get Hypnotic. It is not like it should have been a surprise, in their previous album Thyrane had already started incorporating keyboards into the music but here they have an industrial sound to it and the guitar riffs have been simplified to the point that they sound utterly boring.

It almost sounds like a bad imitation of Rammstein and I would dare say that the Germans are better at pulling this sort of music off than these Finns. The songs are stuck in mid-tempo hell, with no hooks, no riffs, and no melodies that sound memorable or remotely catchy. As soon as the next song starts playing, I seriously forget what the last song was like. The raspy, talkative vocals are also an annoyance. It feels like Blastmor could not decide whether he should sing clean or harsh and he decided to do something in the middle and it just does not work at all. About the only good thing is the short Middle Eastern influenced instrumental “Armaya” because it is fast, catchy and thankfully no singing. Unfortunately 1:39 is not enough to save an album that is over 50 minutes.

Listening to this album was seriously a lot of cruel torture and I could not wait until it was over. I seriously suggest listening to some song samples before even thinking about getting this one and even then I still would tell you to get something else, even St. Anger.

Century Media Website
Thyrane Official Website

I'd say this review is overly harsh, it's certainly not for everyone but to say it's not catchy is untrue, it just sounds a little poorly thought out overall, with some riffs that work and others that simply repeat too much. It's also a bit underproduced. Sounds more influenced by ...And Oceans than Rammstein, but doesn't really touch either. Still, worth having if you're really into this type of music, which I can be at times.