Timbus declared dead...

Corrupted Innocence

Sentenced To Dusk drummer
Apr 28, 2007
Montana, USA
www.trevordelay.com
Yeah, he went off and slaughtered the people who made his guitar because it finally hit him how long they took to make the sick thing... and then he took his guitar and beheaded himself.

Sympathies.

Actually, we just need something to talk about...

How about Black Metal?

His absence is starting to scare me, this forum will surely parish!
lol not really.
Who wants to talk about black metal?
Death metal is 100 times better.

" True fucking metal " sentence don't impress me at all.

But black is sometime better than death, depends of the band.

Hmm... Black Metal totally owns Death Metal, because it takes more talent to write Black Metal songs than Death Metal songs. Black Metal is well written, because it takes more time and effort to make it happen. Death metal is all pretty much the same stuff, while Black Metal goes in depth with creativity, intricacy, emotions, nature, and lots of other stuff. Death Metal just screams a lot of gore and hatred most of the time...

lol... Cameron... you wrote parish. You think this forum will become catholic, eh? Well, I think it might perish away...

First off - I'm not dead. Also, CI - what bands do you consider black metal? I don't get most of the original black metal bands (ex: Mayhem, Immortal, Emperor, Bathory, etc...) because they tend to be fairly simple, repetitive music recorded really badly. I understand people that like it for atmosphere, but to me, the throwbacks to paganism, deifying (not defying, but deifying) evil, and image (corpse paint, weapons, leather) are just silliness. Like, if you want to make your band really dark, that's fantastic, I really like shit like that. When I want to hear something genuinely dark, I'd put on some Opeth, Vital Remains or fucking Meshuggah. Those dudes set the mood better than any face paint or shitty production.

As far as black metal VS death metal, both genres are full of generic bands. There's a billion bands that sound like Emperor, just like there are a billion bands that sound like Cannibal Corpse. If you're talking about the cream of the crop, there's more variety in death metal, because black metal is a narrower genre. That doesn't mean one's better or worse, there's just more to compare. I, for one, can't fucking stand old school sounding death metal bands. However, I can't even tell old black metal apart from new black metal. So I guess... fuck black metal. It's as stale as country music. Abigail Williams tried and still sounded tired and old. My opinion only, obviously. Most of what I listen to is metalcore anyway, and you guys don't even think it's "real metal", whatever that means.

<3
-Timbus

P.S. We're currently practicing the 6th new song, halfway through the new album, still aiming for studio time in late July/early August. New Nekrogob shreds. Latest song list: No One Survives, Return To The Sky, The Bog, Bears, Nekropolis, Prince Of The Land Of Stench, Legion[working], Doom[working], Destiny[working], Claws[working], Forests[working], Oblivion[working]

Tim, I sent you a pm, did you receive it?

Btw, I want to aclare first that I prefer black metal.
Hmm... Black Metal totally owns Death Metal, because it takes more talent to write Black Metal songs than Death Metal songs. Black Metal is well written, because it takes more time and effort to make it happen. Death metal is all pretty much the same stuff, while Black Metal goes in depth with creativity, intricacy, emotions, nature, and lots of other stuff.
Wrong. The talent depends on the artists, there are a lot of bands of black metal that suck, just like it happens in death metal, and in every other genre too. A lot of times black metal is a piece of shit (mostly thanks to the whole new wave of "tr00 kiddies"), badly written, with shitty production made on purpose (becase remember, if you can have a bad production that helps to cover how much you suck, it's because you're getting "truer"), completely idiotic lyrics, and a sense of the word "emotion" that is nearer to a 15 year old gothic feelings than with real hate, sadness, darkness or whatever you want.

Death Metal just screams a lot of gore and hatred most of the time...
Yeah, specially bands like Amon Amarth or Nekrogoblikon, right?

First off - I'm not dead. Also, CI - what bands do you consider black metal? I don't get most of the original black metal bands (ex: Mayhem, Immortal, Emperor, Bathory, etc...) because they tend to be fairly simple, repetitive music recorded really badly. I understand people that like it for atmosphere, but to me, the throwbacks to paganism, deifying (not defying, but deifying) evil, and image (corpse paint, weapons, leather) are just silliness. Like, if you want to make your band really dark, that's fantastic, I really like shit like that. When I want to hear something genuinely dark, I'd put on some Opeth, Vital Remains or fucking Meshuggah. Those dudes set the mood better than any face paint or shitty production.
Well, like always, thats subjetive, I don't think black metal is dark because of the shitty production (like many morons do) but because of the atmosphere and feeling some bands can put in their music.
As far as black metal VS death metal, both genres are full of generic bands.
Sad but true.
If you're talking about the cream of the crop, there's more variety in death metal, because black metal is a narrower genre.
That's something really hard to determine, I listen to both genres and I can tell you that both of them are very ramified, with lots of subgenres, and different ways to play it (even in the black metal himself, not just in the sub-)
That doesn't mean one's better or worse, there's just more to compare.
Or even better, there's just no need to compare them, because they are two things completely different, it's senseless. If you like one, then listen to it and don't bother the others.
I, for one, can't fucking stand old school sounding death metal bands. However, I can't even tell old black metal apart from new black metal. So I guess... fuck black metal. It's as stale as country music. Abigail Williams tried and still sounded tired and old. My opinion only, obviously. Most of what I listen to is metalcore anyway, and you guys don't even think it's "real metal", whatever that means.
Well, that's because, since you're nmot a bm fan, you're not very deep into the genre, but look at it this way, it's just like when someone tells you he can't difference between old school, new, and melodic death metal. You can do it because that's something you like and therefore, you know about it, but if you don't even listen to it, of course you wont be able to do that.
I think most people says that because metalcore is more -core than metal-, personally I can't difference very well between a hardcore and a metalcore band, but I admit it's metal.

black metal is ripe with talent, but so is death emtal (i guess), i like both, and both are full of bad generic bands, but i love black metal a lot more, and btw, i love opeth too, favorite band

anyone like tsjuder? desert nothern hell is their best album

I won't add any more argument to this but I'd have to nicely disagree with you timbus,Old School Death Metal has much more to it than New Wave Death Metal bands like
Job For A Cowboy, The Red Chord, Blood Red Throne, and a lot of bands Metalblade Records seems to be signing lately...

Vs. Older Style Death Metal Bands Like:Amagortis, Kataklysm, Bloodbath, Hate Eternal, Cryptopsy, Grotesque, Hypocrisy and so fourth.

I prefer old school death metal over any genre, I don't think any genre of metal is truly the "Superior" of metal. I just particularly enjoy certain genres more than other. Most Black Metal, puts me to sleep in seconds. It's rather dull. I'm just more of a death metal dude, than anything else.

and to isolation_years:
You guess? wlel laern 2 tpye d00d.

CI:
I told you off earlier.

Death metal has constant change tempos, tremolo picking, palm muting, and down-tuned guitars, with (in most Old School DM Cases) a bassist who is (with exceptions) skilled and the lead rather than just a simplified guitar, who is put in the background.

While as....Timbus covered black metal for me well enough,

and It's not that I don't consider metalcore, well....metal. It's just I don't like the punk influence in it, That's where the "Core" comes from. There are a few Metalcore bands that I can listen to, Like August Burns Red, Caliban, Haste The Day, The Black Dahlia Murder(Preferably also Called 'DeathCore'), and a few others. I just don't like the majority of the bands in the genre or the "Core" Area. I think Grindcore kinda fucked it up for Death Metal, one of the reasons I don't like most New Wave Death Metal bands.

Enough Ranting.
Oh,
Welcome Back Timbus. Or Itleast, Nice to see that you're still alive.

I know grindcore isn't a subgenre of death metal.
I know, I didn't say that it was a sub-genre. But It has influenced a lot New Wave Death Metal bands.

Actually, it's the same for the both sides, grindcore has been going down in the last years (right now, at least a 95% of the grindcore bands in the world are a piece of shit), and a part of that has to do with the fact that lots of deathgrind bands were born in the last years.

I'd put black metal before death metal. I mean, I can dig stuff like Nile, but Cannibal Corpse and even Between The Buried And Me tend to bore the shit out of me. There's definitely awful black metal that puts me to sleep - *cough* Burzum *cough* - but if I can listen to a 12 minute black metal song and not be able to get through a 4 minute death metal song, then I guess it speaks volumes about my tastes. Also, folk metal seems to be the black metal spawn, while viking metal is death metal, and I'd take Summoning over Amon Amarth any day. Both good bands, but Summoning is just too fucking rad.

PS: Grind sucks.

PPS: Tim's quitting Nekrogoblikon to join Paramore.

Yeah, I know that it comes from black metal, but I can hear a lot of death metal in there as well. I still like it regardless.