Tips?

Ok, one of my classes this semester is a poetry workshop. It's about 12 people in the class. The professor is Stephen Dobyns (if any of you have heard of him, I hadn't but researched and he's written quite a bunch of stuff). He's nice, but sort of...dry. And I am so nervous, I literally feel nauseous just thinking about reading my poem out loud, and having it critiqued by him and the class. I know that sounds ridiculous. But...I have never had to read my stuff out loud, and it's true a poem isn't a poem without an audience, but I am SO nervous. Last week I wasn't chosen, but we each have to read each other's poem, so the poet reads, then someone else reads, and I was chosen to read someone else's, and my cheeks even flushed! I was...yeah. I don't know why I get so uptight about it.

Beside imagining everyone else in their underwear, does anyone else have any tips for...remaining calm while "public speaking"? Sorry to be such a turd, thanks everyone! :loco: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I don't know why I get all shy and shit :-/ ::sniffies::

Just think of the wonderful job a poetry class will prepare you for.

i dont show up.... i have to put up witha few fone calls after... but i usualy dont put my self in a position to get asked to do much public speaking but you got to its .... for class
but yeah im sure that didnt help sorry ... so i guess this a spam now

Well, I think everyone who is even a bit self-conscious will be intimidated by the thought of having to recite their own poetry. After all, good poetry is emotional, it leaves you vulnerable, and it's, dare I say it, a bit arrogant and pretentious. The reason I say that last thing is because poetry, when recited, is something which requires a certain amount of arrogance. Some call if confidence, but I think it's "more" than that. It's believing your own work is good, and will impress listeners. Meaning that if you fail, you fall even more flat on your ass.

The solution therefore, is being a bit arrogant. Telling yourself that what you've made is good (unless it's bad of course) and knowing that if you deliver it that way, the rest will see it the same way. Just hope they don't despise poetry like I do.

Good luck!

Well, I think everyone who is even a bit self-conscious will be intimidated by the thought of having to recite their own poetry. After all, good poetry is emotional, it leaves you vulnerable, and it's, dare I say it, a bit arrogant and pretentious. The reason I say that last thing is because poetry, when recited, is something which requires a certain amount of arrogance. Some call if confidence, but I think it's "more" than that. It's believing your own work is good, and will impress listeners. Meaning that if you fail, you fall even more flat on your ass.

The solution therefore, is being a bit arrogant. Telling yourself that what you've made is good (unless it's bad of course) and knowing that if you deliver it that way, the rest will see it the same way. Just hope they don't despise poetry like I do.

Good luck!

Haha thanks :) I guess you're right. I think part of the problem is that my poetry isn't pretentious, and I find it hard to present it that way, and lack that...quality that everyone else in the class seemed to have, where they were almost performing their poems dramatically. I just want to...share them and get some feedback. Not impress anyone. Haha. But thanks for the advice, I will try to be cocky :)

Yeah I actually agree. I mean, anyone whose read my poetry likes it, and it leaves an impression. But I meant, the people reading their poetry it seems are almost doing it to impress others with their...dramatic reading, rather than letting the poem speak for itself. I don't know. ::sigh::

My voice teacher gave me a cool little trick back in the day, for use when performing in public.

You need to give the impression that your speaking/looking " at the audience ", her trick was basically to be looking " beyond them ".
Rather than looking at one person in the eye , your looking, for the most part right over thier heads. From thier vantage point your looking right at them, but your not. I've used it for years, always helps me.

Plus, I just don't care enough about anyone to let them bother me. :lol:

Yeah I actually agree. I mean, anyone whose read my poetry likes it, and it leaves an impression. But I meant, the people reading their poetry it seems are almost doing it to impress others with their...dramatic reading, rather than letting the poem speak for itself. I don't know. ::sigh::

Ah, yes. That way. I see what you mean. Well, I suppose there's two parts to poetry, the writing and the delivery. Your job to be good at both :)

Practice reciting it alone or in a mirror. If you do this over and over it can become almost mechanical, so that its like getting in front of the class and just flipping a switch, and it goes. The only drawback to this detachment is that your delivery will probably lose a lot of emotion or enthusiasm with this approach.

If I were you (and it wouldn't be breaking some kind of school rule), I'd bring in the music playing device of your choice and listen to your favorite song, or at least a really good relaxing one. That worked really well for me last year when I had to take a speech class. I'm not deathly afraid of speeches or anything, but I was surprised at how much tension could be eased if you just take a moment or two beforehand to shut out everything else and calm yourself.

Hun you will do fine. This is whats called an imagined risk, you are assuming the worst. Besides out of the 12 in the class the chances of yours being the worst are pretty slim.

What russell said is very true. My LA teacher last year told me to do that before acting othello on stage for a project. I listened to ...Born before hand worked, cause it pumped up for it. I was Iago. This year I had to do another shitty acting for LA and i listened to a short but furious playlist before hand including hammer smashed face, poe title track and arise title track. Worked for me!

Just pretend they're retarded. It shouldn't be too much of a stretch considering if you're at Sarah Lawrence, you're probably retarded.

The real secret is in realizing that you are superior to everyone, that they are effectively meaningless, that everything is meaningless, and how someone reacts to a poem is insignificant...

Shit, I need to go drink now

Haha yes. Well, I actually did a lot of thinking since I posted, and realized eh what does it really matter? I like my poems, I think they're well written, they are what they are, whatever. I have a problem controlling the flushing of my cheeks. I am probably never going to see anyone in this class around campus seeing as it's a graduate class. Don't ask me why or how I am in it haha.