TLM103 VS. SM7

coldthrn

Chris Cauthen
Jul 9, 2007
soundcloud.com
Ok so I did a shoot out between these mics. Its been awhile since I have recorded this. Sorry it has taken me this long to put up the results. If you notice at the end of the video you will see the micing positions. The mic pre was a motu896hd. Gain and pads on both mics were identically set. Phantom power was supplied to the TLM103 and none to the SM7. I did not however remove the SM7 foam guard so that could account for the difference in sound, wish I would have taken it off.

The aiff files have no compression or eq at all. I ended up using the TLM103 for the final product and that is what you are hearing in the video.

Shure SM7
Neumann TLM103

Last edited by a moderator:
The two files are quite different in volume, the TLM103 is a couple of db louder.

Anyway after I made them closer in level I'd say for me the TLM is a LOT better in this particular shootout. I don't know if it's because of the pop screen but the SM7 sounds really lifeless and subdued, whereas the TLM sounds like the guy is screaming right in front of you.

Are the mic tracks you posted just a single vocal take? On the tlm version, it sounds like there is a lower pitched voice or something underneath the scream...Could just be his voice, but sounds crazy!

There are a total of 4 vocal takes together. 2 for main vocals paned center 2 left and right for accent phrases. Yea I agree the guys vocal sounds nuts.

haven't lstened to the clips yet....but my coparisons with sm7 vs. good LDCs usually show:

The LDC (for example my 414) sounds bigger, fuller and more 3d than the sm7..., the sm7 sounds kinda flat, boring and lifeless in comparison...

UNTIL you smash it with compression and perhaps even put some EQ and distortion on it (which we're often doing in metal)...then the sm7 comes out on top, it just handles post-processing much better IMO(for rough vox!).
was like that every time..in the dry shootout the 414 was better, in the mix and with post-processing the sm7 was...
it's a fucking amazing workhorse for metal vox

haven't lstened to the clips yet....but my coparisons with sm7 vs. good LDCs usually show:

The LDC (for example my 414) sounds bigger, fuller and more 3d than the sm7..., the sm7 sounds kinda flat, boring and lifeless in comparison...

UNTIL you smash it with compression and perhaps even put some EQ and distortion on it (which we're often doing in metal)...then the sm7 comes out on top, it just handles post-processing much better IMO(for rough vox!).
was like that every time..in the dry shootout the 414 was better, in the mix and with post-processing the sm7 was...
it's a fucking amazing workhorse for metal vox

Yea once treated with compression and eq, I couldn't tell the difference. But I have smashed the hell out of these vox.

Thanks for moving this post.

Hospice! I definitely editted these drums LOL.

I think the benefit of the SM7, as Lasse mentioned, is mostly in post processing, but also in that it allows the dude to hold the mic and really go for it if he needs to.

The SM7 usually wins over the TLM103 in my studio, but it needs brightning in the 8-10khz area. More meat and body in the SM7

Are the mic tracks you posted just a single vocal take? On the tlm version, it sounds like there is a lower pitched voice or something underneath the scream...Could just be his voice, but sounds crazy!

he does this weird ass tibet monk undertone thing. its creepy