To all you guys in Chicago

Oded

Jan 26, 2003
Boston, U.S.
Visit site
I'm headed out to Chicago for a little business, and thought I'd spend a few days there to check the city out.
So, if you could tell me a few places worth seeing or doing there, I'd be grateful. Could be anything, clubs, sites, restaurants, neighborhoods etc., metal-related or not.

Shame that a Bruins-Blackhawks game's out of the question. :erk: :bah:

Specifically what days/dates are you going to be here? I can give you as detailed a listing of events as I can if I know when you're looking to be here. Certain clubs are better than others on certain nights, etc.

Thanks for helping out. I'll be in Chicago from Wednesday April 27th to Sunday the 1st.
The last and only time I was in Chicago, all the drug dealers at Union Station were asking ME for drugs. :tickled:

I'll definitely check out Metal Haven too :headbang:

A ladyfriend of mine from Lebanon is now currently living in Chicago. She used to live and work in Amsterdam but got a better joboffer with a designer's office in Chicago. I think she must be overthere for a month or maybe even less now. I guess she's too busy arranging things concerning her job and her new appartment to go out to clubs and stuff. And she doesn't know a soul overthere, I reccon it's no fun going out alone.

Maybe some tips can help her find her way around some cool places to go.

Okay, there's several things specifically happening during your time here.....on the evening of the 27th, King Diamond-Nile-Behemoth-Black Dalia Murder are performing at the House of Blues, which is near downtown Chicago. On Friday the 29th, we are performing a show as well, though it is all ages and it's slightly outside of Chicago (not extremely far though). But in case you have any interest, here's the details-

CRY FOR DAWN
NOVEMBERS DOOM
DIGITAL MINDY

Friday Apr 29, 2005 - at 5:00 PM
ALL AGES - $5

RLSC
1102 cedar Lake Rd
Round Lake, IL 60073

Later that same night, there's a show that's located in the actual city, that features Origin, Rellik, Gorgasm and some other DM bands, at a place called Cafe Lura.

April, 29 2005 at Cafe Lura
3184 N. Milwaukee, Chicago, IL 60411
Cost: $10

As for specific restraunts and places to go, your best bet is to head up to Chicago's North Side. It's only minutes from the downtown area, and it's where the aforementioned Metal Haven store is located as well. The area is basically the "happening" part of town where there are many many cool stores, bars, restraunts and other things going on, and all within a reasonable walking distance (or short bus or cab ride) from one another. It's also a fairly safe area to walk around at night and stuff, lotsa interesting characters walking about but they're harmless usually and it's regularly patrolled by police. Belmont Avenue, Clark street, Halstead ave, Broadway ave are some of the main streets that go through there. For example, the address of Metal Haven is--

METAL HAVEN
604 W. Belmont Ave.
Chicago, IL 60657
USA Phone: (773) 755 9202 Email: metalhavenstore@yahoo.com
Tues-Thurs 1-9pm | Fri-Sat 12-9pm | Sun 1-6pm | Central US time
Closed Mondays except holidays.

This is basically right near the corner of Belmont and Broadway avenues, which is a pretty good place in terms of where to start on the North Side. There's alot of different restraunts and clubs and stores within a several block radius of there. Wrigley Field (where the Chicago Cubs play) is within a few blocks from there as well. Well known clubs such as The Metro, Cubby Bear and others are located on or near Clark and Addison ave., right across the street from Wrigley Field. In fact, the North Side area is also known by some as "Wrigleyville". Anyhow, in terms of stuff to do in the evenings and nightlife, this area is your best bet. If you're looking for clubs to have a drink in that are more for the metal-punk-goth sort of vibe, places like The Exit Nightclub (located at 1315 W. North Ave. in Chicago , about a 5 min. cab ride from Metal Haven) is a good bet.
For daytime more tourist-y type of things, there's many museums and places to see, that pretty much all are located along Lake Shore Drive, such as the Field Museum, Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium, and Navy Pier. They're cool places to go but they all tend to be closed relatively early (by around 6 p.m. usually) so it's best to get up early to do that stuff.

If you want any more specifics, like addresses or specific names of any kinds of restraunts you're interested in, I can try to look them up for you, just drop me a PM.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Hey, thanks a lot for the info, man. It really is a help. There's nothing worse than going to a city and having no idea where to go or what to do.
I had no idea about the ND show- I think I'll be there!
Chicago, the O-Man cometh... :headbang:

You can go to chireader.com for a complete listing of clubs and restaurant reviews. I should point out that finding parking at night in the areas that Larry mentioned is a total bitch, i would strongly recommend public transportation.

Boy's Town is something every young man should experience once in his life. Like an male initiation rite. :D

Anyway I don't mean to force my way into a thread, but do you know what time you guys are going to go on stage at the Round Lake Social Club this Friday? I think it would be great to finally see Novembers Doom live. :worship:

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
Later that same night, there's a show that's located in the actual city, that features Origin, Rellik, Gorgasm and some other DM bands, at a place called Cafe Lura.
I just got back from seeing Origin and damn do I have to say that James Lee and the guys impressed the shit outta me. Not only that but they were cool as well. That would be a great show to catch. Dysrhythmia was another band that played that were very talented as well.

Dysrhythmia is an interesting band, I've caught them at fests we've appeared at in the past. They are talented.

Billy you need to come hang out in Chicago some time! Maybe when we have a gig happening or something. I think we'd have a good time, you'd definitely get along with myself and Nunez and Brian in terms of musical tastes and shit! Maybe someday (filming of the dvd, perhaps??) we can persuade a bunch of you guys from the forum to make the trek to Chicago and all meet and hang out?

Yeah bro, it would be a blast to gather my guys to hang out with you all. Some time back I gave Vito the address (I think I passed it to you too) to a decent club about an hour from where I'm at, so hopefully you'll have another place in PA to play besides Philly and Pittsburgh. Now, if you guys were to film something and need fans like Moonspell did for the zombie roles in their "I'll See You in My Dreams" video, I think I could manage a 9 hour car ride. :D

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
For daytime more tourist-y type of things, there's many museums and places to see, that pretty much all are located along Lake Shore Drive, such as the Field Museum, Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium, and Navy Pier. They're cool places to go but they all tend to be closed relatively early (by around 6 p.m. usually) so it's best to get up early to do that stuff.

If you want any more specifics, like addresses or specific names of any kinds of restraunts you're interested in, I can try to look them up for you, just drop me a PM.

Hope this helps somewhat.

I just saw the Body Worlds exhibit at the museum of Science and Industry.

It's extremely fucking cool. Here's a description from the museum's site :

"BODY WORLDS features more than 200 authentic human specimens, including entire bodies as well as individual organs and transparent body slices. Using the revolutionary process of plastination invented by Dr. Gunther von Hagens, the body specimens are preserved with special plastics that enable us to view the many layers and systems under our skin. BODY WORLDS offers a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see and understand our own physiology and health and to gain new appreciation and respect for what it means to be human."

It's really interesting stuff. Sometimes a bit sad, seeing some of the things that happened to some of the donors. Like an enlarged heart is not a pretty thing, neither is an aorta that has suffered an aneurism. The plastination technique really keeps things intact, and what not. Looks like the stuff came straight out of a horrom film.

Here's an example
photo_chessplayer_front.jpg

Too bad I got to this thread late, but hey for you guys that are in Chicago I'd recommend going to see it.