Who Wants Circle II Circle / Circus Maximus / Manticora in Chicago?

metalprof

Ken Luther
Mar 11, 2005
Valparaiso, IN
faculty.valpo.edu
I talked to Hoyt, the guy trying to book this tour for Intromental, and he's striking out lining up a club in Chicago. Even The Pearl Room turned it down, and it seems like *I* could get a show there playing a harmonica. Hoyt will go back to TPR with a reduced downside guarantee and see if that helps, but if not here's how anyone interested can help:

- provide suggestions for other places he could try (Durty Nellies came up several times in Atlanta); he has tried a few other places, but I didn't get a list from him.

- would you be willing to pay more than what would be the usual for a ticket, almost in a sponsorship kind of way? Can a small group of dedicated folks help close the gap between asking guarantee and what the clubs are willing to work with?

I'll try to compile things that get said and forward it all to him soon.

Diabolik, let's pretend you already chimed in with, "This tour is stupid, it won't draw", so it's not necessary for you to post that now :)

Ken

No, I am a power metal fan, try Legend's, The Note, that place in Aurora that Cage just played. Even Subterranean in Chicago might be a good place for it. See no negativity there. I am surprised the Pearl Room turned it down, like you said...they book anything there.

Go for Legends.
This show would do much better in the burbs than the city, IMHO.

Everyone I know who has been to Legends ,including myself, has liked the venue.

It is intimate, but not dumpy looking. Good parking lot too.

I am not familiar with any of those three bands, nor can I speak to how much of a draw. This tour's success would definitely be riding on having a local band who draws as support.

Ken, one more thing on this.
Keep in mind, there are a LOT of bands that are popular in the Prog Power USA circle of fans which may not be so much outside of Atlanta.

You are a Prog Power veteran.
You know how it goes.
Glen books band, and the inner circle of attendees become instant fans of the band.
(Case in point - Freak Kitchen).

The Prog Power faithful are VERY loyal.

This is a good thing indeed, but this tour's promoter needs to be realistic. These three bands are not very well known.

I think booking the Pearl Room would be a mistake. This tour needs to start small.

I am sure it is a great and solid package.

Has any thought gone into calling the tour something along the lines of "Prog Power on the Road" or something like that? Maybe somehow attaching it to the fest would be the marketing it needs to gain more attention.

Durty Nellies would be cool. Legends used to be Rory's right? That was just a small sports bar ala Chicago City Limits, though I haven't been there since the renovation - has it really increased in size?

I'd love to see this show in the NW burbs.

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but what if the Circle II Circle, Circus Maximus, and Manticora tour was included as part of Powerfest? Perhaps that would help draw some of the loyal Prog Power folks in .. maybe a win win situation for all included .. I dunno .. just a thought.

Britt

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but what if the Circle II Circle, Circus Maximus, and Manticora tour was included as part of Powerfest? Perhaps that would help draw some of the loyal Prog Power folks in .. maybe a win win situation for all included .. I dunno .. just a thought.

Britt

Definitely an interesting concept.
Only issue I could see is the fact that the fest's promoters fought hard last year to shake the whole "power metal" tag that was previously placed on "Powerfest" (Though I don't believe power metal is ruled out by any means).

Glen books band, and the inner circle of attendees become instant fans of the band.

Tell that to Secret Sphere or Virgin Steel. :)

This is a good thing indeed, but this tour's promoter needs to be realistic. These three bands are not very well known.

True, but if promoted right the ex-Savatage factor could play well.

Has any thought gone into calling the tour something along the lines of "Prog Power on the Road" or something like that?

I talked to one of the PP crew this weekend on the train to the airport and he actually mentioned something like this, but just in general, not for this specific tour. To paraphrase him, it had come up as a pipe-dream "what if" before, followed by loud rounds of laughter at all the logistics problems it would present. I don't think Glenn / Intromental would want to mix their baskets like that anyway, it would dilute the brand name.

I also considered asking about what Britt (Darktide) mentioned, somehow linking this to Powerfest, but I don't think the dates work. The few announced dates for the tour were in the Feb / March range, I thought.

Ken

Ken,
OK, maybe not ALL the bands Glen books, but you get my point. :)

I don't know really how strong the whole ex-Savatage factor would be. I know the last time Savatage came through Chicago at Riley's, I heard it was scarcely attended. Granted, that was a long time ago, and there is certainly a whole new younger generation of power metal fans.

I am not trying to sound down on this tour at all. Sounds like a great package indeed. I just wanted to point out that while it might look good on paper, I question how much of a seller it would be on the road (outside of Prog Power).

My guess is that the Pearl Room turned them down because the guarantee ($$$) they want is ridiculous.

I don't know anything about how all this works, so I don't have a basis to judge if anything is ridiculous or not, but the guarantee is indeed the sticking point. Hoyt said they'll probably go back with a reduced one soon.

Ken

the sad part is that all three bands are solid bands in terms of quality but on thier own tour...it isnt a big sell. Look at the Firewind show. something like 80 people. I think a smaller venue with a little higher door price would be the best route.

They're not expecting 5-600 people... and for what the guarantee is, even at a reduced rate, it wouldn't take an enormous crowd to cover it.

Ken, the list that's being generated works, but there are a few others that should also be considered. As I said on the PM board, drop me an email so we can avoid doubling up the communication.

Ken, I'm all for helping support this show, and I know a few Chi-town people who post at the PP forums, but not here, who would LOVE to see that tour happen, and would support it as well.

This show should not be at Pearl Room.
Yes it should ... and it should be part of Powerfest if at all possible. The promoters can get Harveston to come in for the weekend, or at least put his stamp of approval on it, and the fans of Prog Power would buy in. It's smart business fellas .. make it happen. You could still then fill out the rest of the roster with a wide variety of bands, and still draw in a fair number of the Prog Power faithful. I have a group of 10 to 15 people I hang with down there that would love to go to Powerfest if the lineup was interesting to them.

Britt

P.S. One caveat .. I'm not sure if the possible tour dates can lineup anywhere close to the normal schedule for Prog Power ... it's within several weeks I think .. maybe?