To Bid You Farewell

Ümlaut

The Grand Conjurer
May 6, 2008
Is it just me, or is this song just immaculate?

Easily one my favorite songs.

^dude, kicking balls isn't cool. lol

in the mist is awesome. i particularly like the riff leading up to the line "arrival, i saw her standing in the shadow, awaitng me like the night awaits the day", fucking beautiful, but yes i do love to bid you farewell, opeth's first mellow song!! i can see a lot of this song in hessian peel, actually. listen to the guitar part, after the first verse of hessian peel, and compare it to the line where he says "am i to bid you farewell?"

^dude, kicking balls isn't cool. lol

Point of perspective. If you really hate the person whose balls are having extreme rapid pressure applied by use of another's foot, it can be cool.

I think To Bid You Farewell is a masterpiece, and I'd love to hear it live. Parts of it even remind me of some old-school Metallica ballads. It was originally recorded with a six-string bass, though, right? I can't figure out any other comfortable way to play those dual bass parts in the middle.

Great song. IMO however it doesn't match up to the likes of Advent. I dunno, maybe because I know Mike's clean vocals have improved and I'm subconsciously yearning for them in this song.

Love the acoustic outro.