To Bid You Farwell

I think what makes TBYF so "perfect" is it's seemingly intentional lack of perfection. I mean, what more could you want than a "jam death metal" band? There's something to be said for not striving towards a perfect sound, it gives the music more of a personal touch... a trend I would welcome with arms wide open, in the days of music manufactured by corporate producers :)

Originally posted by MadTinus
Well, welcome back! It's a nice forum, stay!

By the way, are you a member of Serberus?

:lol: at your location, like the self-mockery.

Maybe I will. I've been a huge opeth fan for years.

And yes, I am a member a Serberus. I play bass and write the lyrics. We are going thru some line up changes as well speak, check out the web site for details. We are looking for a new second guitarist.

have you heard us? What do you think? i'm always interested in peoples opinions. Drop me a line man.

And the self mockery, don't even get me started on this country. I like living here and all, but goddamn we do some stupid shit. I am pretty far to the left. take care.

Originally posted by huevo
I think what makes TBYF so "perfect" is it's seemingly intentional lack of perfection. I mean, what more could you want than a "jam death metal" band? There's something to be said for not striving towards a perfect sound, it gives the music more of a personal touch... a trend I would welcome with arms wide open, in the days of music manufactured by corporate producers

Lack of perfection? So many people seem to think that Akerfeldt didn't intend for his voice to sound like that. If he were completely on key, it would not have the same sound, probably wouldn't be as emotional, and definitely not as much in the foreground, especially on the "I am standing without a soul" part. Usually vocal mistakes sound bad; I don' think this was a mistake. I thoroughly believe that Opeth strive for a perfect sound. Hell Akerfeldt promised us that the next two albums would be "divine", is that not perfect?

Originally posted by The Wanderer
Maybe I will. I've been a huge opeth fan for years.
Then we can shake hands, though I must say the "old" Opeth is still what I love them most for.
And yes, I am a member a Serberus. I play bass and write the lyrics. We are going thru some line up changes as well speak, check out the web site for details. We are looking for a new second guitarist. have you heard us? What do you think? i'm always interested in peoples opinions. Drop me a line man.
Yeah, I've heard a few songs, nice, fast and powerful, At The Gates-ish, like it! You should check out the band in my signature, they play stuff quite similar to yours. They will start recording their debut full-length in 1,5 weeks (July 30th), artwork done by Niklas Sundin of Dark Tranquillity. Let me know what you think of their stuff, by the way, my connection to the band is that my brother's the drummer.
And the self mockery, don't even get me started on this country. I like living here and all, but goddamn we do some stupid shit. I am pretty far to the left. take care.
Good to hear there's some Americans with some sense left, who dare to look past the borders of their "powerful" and "untouchable" country. :)

I like the way Mickey sings it. It's like the narrator is so sad that he can't manage to sing in tune (the way I imagine it). :D

Mike is on of the most "In-tune" singers I know. Even live he was never out of tune. Deepest respect! (I've waited for a mistake...)I once heard a female Jazz singer, and she was so good. She was 100% on every tone!

Heh...funny. I think his clean vocals are FAR superior during Orchid/Morningrise than to his current style...and MOST DEFINITELY his growls, which are incomparable to anything else. Now, it seems the emotion + power is slowly going a little downhill if you ask me.

I am shocked that anyone would say his vocals are lacking in To Bid you Farewell....I mean damn, I couldn't ask for better vocals. The damn song is a masterpiece, but still not my favourite by them....

Originally posted by MadTinus
Not quite true, I'm pretty sure I hear Dan Swanö's voice on To Bid You Farewell, when the distorted guitars come in ("Devotion eludes..."). Maybe Mikael himself can comment on this when he reads this.

He doesn't have to. Mikael and Dan have commented dozens of times on this.

Dan Swanö does not appear on an Opeth album.

Dan did write many of the clean vocal lines on the early albums, so Mikael was singing what Dan came up with, which explains why it sounds like Dan... and Mikael was singing low and quiet at that point in time, so that didn't help matters in the confusion.

From our interview at www.gothic-rock.de :
Check out the Mp3's. :)

Markus: And did you do some vocals on the „Morningrise“?

Dan: No. That’s another thing. I’ve never done anything on any OPETH album. And
you can torture me, (laughing) or burn me or whatever.

http://home.tiscalinet.de/nachrodt/claret/dan_any.mp3

No! Mike was really, really
way on the fact that I was not gonna do anything. I don’t play anything. I don’t do anything
on any OPETH album. Our voices are really similar! Because we come from the different
kind of school or what I can say ... we just use our voice in the same way, and if you would
hear the mastertapes without the effects you would hear that it was different. And I think
people must hear now, when he’s singing clear all the time and compare it to „Orchid“ or
„Morningrise“ that that’s Mike, it’s not me.

Markus: It’s only one part. That „Survey the ....“

Dan: I wrote some parts on „Morningrise“, I wrote some vocal harmonies. (Singing :) „Na,
na in the forest unknown ..“ is some part

http://home.tiscalinet.de/nachrodt/claret/dan_sing.mp3

that I actually .. I wrote the vocal harmony,
but Mike sung it, so people might think: “Oh, that sounds like he singing.“ Because
it was my part. He was having problems finding the vocal harmony. I was just doing the
way I did. I played things on like a flute sound on the keyboard and then, this could work
and he just kind of sung it. That worked perfectly, but no, I didn’t do anything. Nothing.
They didn’t allow me to interfere with their magic (laughing).