To Give You an Idea of How Some Albany Promoters Can Be...

Gunstar9

Skeletor Goes to Mars
Jan 30, 2005
Here's a perfect example of how to act unprofessionally as a promoter.

Recently radio DJ / promoter Chunk The Fat Kid Extreme put on a fundraiser show for Easton Blanchard who has Congenital Muscular Dystrophy. The fundraiser show was thrown at an expensive local venue (cough) and ended up bombing pretty hard.

Albany has a small and struggling music scene. Venues are inadequate, sound guys are assholes (besides Matt from HeadTripp), and most people do not come out and support although they claim about the lack of a music scene. I'd say there's a max crowd of 150 people here that will come out and support local music but that doesn't mix well with nine different promotional "companies" booking shows all the time. I was surprised at the 130 people that showed up for my little Metalfest that Eclipsed by Sanity and others played. When A Lower Deep played out here we didn't get many over 60 people to see them and a few other bands. You usually take what you get here at a show with a grain of salt.

Chunk is usually a pretty cool guy but he blew up after the fundraiser was a flop and posted the following on his Myspace page:

THIS BLOG IS SOLELY THE OPINION OF THE HOMEGROWN SHOW. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CUMULUS BROADCASTING OR ROCK 103 OR ANY OF IT'S EMPLOYEES. SO PLEASE REFER ALL COMPLAINTS AND KUDOS TO US. FEEL FREE TO EMAIL- thehomegrownshow@gmail.com

1st and Foremost We would like to thank Easton and his family for letting us be involved in their life. It was good to meet you all! EASTON, YOU ROCK!!!

2nd we would like to thank everyone who came out for LOSERFEST and the local businesses that supported this event(LOCO'S, BIO BUZZ, WALDEN AND KIRKLAND, MELLOW MUSHROOM).

3rd we'd like to thank the bands that gave their blood sweat and tears for this show (PROLOGIC 13, SENT BY RAVENS, HEADTRIPP, FUR ELISE, & THROWN TOGETHER)

AND YES WE KNOW THAT ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE HELPED THIS FAMILY IN THE PAST. SO THIS NEXT PART DOESN'T APPLY TO YOU!

4th (& this is where it getz nasty) - FUCK EVERYBODY ELSE!!!! You sorry sacks of shit who bitch about "there's nothing to do in this town" didn't even come out to help a LOCAL kid! We give you 5 bad ass bands, a local venue, a costume party, ALL AGES, and a reason to do something for a local family! But what do you fucks do? As far as I know you cock suckers sat at home finger-banging your stink holes. I thought we were supposed to be a "close" community? We'll dickholes, you just proved to me that you're nothing but a bunch of selfish, whining, mindless, uncaring, stuck up pricks who only want to do something if it makes you look good or if the fearless leader of your "click" (who probably has an itchy ass because dumbshit can't even remember to wipe his ass good after he/she takes a dump) wants to go to some shitty bar. I am absolutely sickened by Albany and Lee County! Oh! And there's another thing. LEE COUNTY! NONE OF YOU CAME TO SUPPORT ONE OF YOUR OWN!!!! We had 127 people pay to get in last night. 90 of them from CORDELE, GA!!!!!!!!!!! That's pretty fucking sad when the great Lee County doesn't give a shit about one of their own. And don't give me any bullshit story about the economy. I am the only one in my family who works. I put my wife through school working a low income job and I put $500 of my own money into this show. IT WAS ONLY $10 FUCKING DOLLARS A TICKET!!! Have they dumbed down school so much that you idiots can't figure out how little that is? Hell, even if you didn't want to come out to the show you could've dropped money off at the door for the donation box.

Now some of you came and ate at LOCO'S on Friday night and we thank you very much for you help. You get a free pass on this one.

The biggest thing that bothers me is we live in the BIBLE BELT! So here we go.........

You nose in the air, holier than thou, shitass, church going fucks. I thought the bible tought you to "help your fellow man"? Guess you panty wastes only "care" if it helps you in some way. Bet if we'd had some preacher wanna be up there sing "Open the eye's of my heart lord" you sheeple (I'll break it down for you ignorant fucks: Sheep +People=Sheeple. It means you don't think for yourself and you follow whatever society tells you to do.) would've packed the plce out! This just helps to reinforce my belief that most churches are just here to make money. And greed is one of the 7 deadly sins. Wonder how many of these so called "Men of GOD" false prophets are going to hell for that one?

So next time your child is running around the yard playing with the other kids healthy as can be...........think about how sorry you are because if you were in Eastons family's situation you would probably want someone to help you out huh?

Remember. KARMA IS A BITCH!! You'll get yours.

Unbelievable! He's right about the karma part. He could have expressed his anger without being filthy. I wouldn't be surprised if he loses his job with the Homegrown Show/Cumulus/ROCK 103. None of them will be happy with this, even with a "disclaimer" (as if that really changes anything)... lame.

Unbelievable! He's right about the karma part. He could have expressed his anger without being filthy. I wouldn't be surprised if he loses his job with the Homegrown Show/Cumulus/ROCK 103. None of them will be happy with this, even with a "disclaimer" (as if that really changes anything)... lame.

I agree. I just read that myself and was like WTF? Granted, if I was in the area and (here is the key part), I was actually FREE that night, i.e, not tied up at work or some other bullshit thing I may be obligated to do/attend, I may have gone. Now, I don't know any of those bands and if they are any good (for all I know, they could be the most bad-ass thing I've heard in years) or play the type of music that I am really interested in seeing live (as well, for all I also know, they could be a bunch of cover bands playing the same tired shit that we often have to sit through on the radio to get to the one or two good songs that is actually worth listening to.)

But lets face it here, not everybody is going to make every friggan show, nor have any desire to want to go to these types of shows, that comes down the pike, whether it is for a "good cause" or not. Not only that, I doubt everybody listens to 103 Rock, assuming that station probably promoted the hell out of the show, and knew about the show, and lastly, as much as we would like to think otherwise, but not everybody is going to like the same music that we like. I would not be surprised that there were also donation jars for this family in just about every convenience store in that area that if somebody wanted to help, they could've drop a couple of bucks into. And about the diatribe about the churches. How much you wanna bet some of those churches probably took up a collection for this family as well.

Yeah, it sucks that a show does not get the turn out that one would hope, especially if the show was going to be for a worthy cause. Hell, I'd love to have seen more people at this JOP/Circle II Circle/Manticora show last week Friday. It sounded like there where more people at this gig, than I saw at the JOP show that I was at (I am guessing maybe 100 tops was there). Instead of going off the handle like some immature little brat that "did not get his way", he should be thankful that he did get the attendance that he did get in the first place. Like quoted above, I would not be surprised if people see that little rant and say "well, he can go and fuck off as well, as I'll refuse to go to any more of his shows/events if he is going to be like that. After all, this is a two-way street".

I have to keep being reminded that Albany is not always in NY. Geez, I thought as I was reading this, if I'd heard any kind of promotion, I'd have driven the 3 hours up there to see this. Duh. Ok, he's doing no one any good with this rant, though I understand his frustration.

I have to keep being reminded that Albany is not always in NY. Geez, I thought as I was reading this, if I'd heard any kind of promotion, I'd have driven the 3 hours up there to see this. Duh. Ok, he's doing no one any good with this rant, though I understand his frustration.

Tell me about it. :Smug: (especially with thread titles like "Eclipsed by Sanity show in Albany" mocking me)

Tell me about it. :Smug: (especially with thread titles like "Eclipsed by Sanity show in Albany" mocking me)

:headbang:

maybe we'll make it up to New York someday.

Yeah its sad to see that coming from Albany. I think Albany could have some potential--and Eclipsed By Sanity was proud to be a part of that one show down there that pretty much made the statement that Albany's potential for local shows does exist. I tried to do everything I could to promote the hell out of it, and I think it was great how everything came together.

This business is hit and miss--and it looks like someone missed big time.

He's actually a volunteer. They allow him to do the Homegrown Show for free.

I think the dude has a legit point. Seriously, people bitch about shitty local scenes and such, yet don't make it out to shows. Support bands, support shows, etc. etc. We all have shit to do, jobs or school or some other such nonsense, i also have band practice 2-3 nights a week and STILL make it out to shows. I know, not everyone is into going to see live music or whatever, but I still think the dude has a legitimate point to an extent.

THAT SAID, I agree with Patrick... this business is never guaranteed and you have to expect to lose as much as you win, if not more so. I'd be curious to hear what all this dude did to promote his show. Did he bust ass flyering, or did he just mention it on his show a few times?

He's actually a volunteer. They allow him to do the Homegrown Show for free.
Heh... Then you get what you pay for.

I think the dude has a legit point.
Of course he has a valid argument, but that's not being questioned. Rather, it is his acrimonious delivery.

I think any promoter has felt frustration with their local market, but found it wise to hold their tongue or express themselves in a more kindly manner than that.

I think the dude has a legit point. Seriously, people bitch about shitty local scenes and such, yet don't make it out to shows. Support bands, support shows, etc. etc. We all have shit to do, jobs or school or some other such nonsense, i also have band practice 2-3 nights a week and STILL make it out to shows. I know, not everyone is into going to see live music or whatever, but I still think the dude has a legitimate point to an extent.

THAT SAID, I agree with Patrick... this business is never guaranteed and you have to expect to lose as much as you win, if not more so. I'd be curious to hear what all this dude did to promote his show. Did he bust ass flyering, or did he just mention it on his show a few times

I agree.If he was just some person that went to the show and NOT a promoter,maybe someone that decided to voice his opinion,would anyone
disagree with his statement or the way he stated it?

Fat Kid was the 'stunt' guy for the Toucher, Jimmy, and Leslie show for 99x (no longer around, Toucher now does a show in Boston). He was the guy that had to go and do all the stupid shit. These types of antics will probably be positively looked at.

I'd like to know why everyone thinks he should have censored himself? I mean, he's expressing his complete fusturation with the situation, and I think he has every right to be pissed off.

Agreed with nailz. I understand people get a little touchy with someone saying "AWW FUCK THIS AND THAT AND FUCK THOSE FUCKING FUCKERS", but honestly... it probably made more of an impact than if he were to go "Well gosh dern it, where was everyone. This was one mighty important event and, well shucks, it would have been a hoot if all y'all had come on down to take part in it."

Agreed with nailz. I understand people get a little touchy with someone saying "AWW FUCK THIS AND THAT AND FUCK THOSE FUCKING FUCKERS", but honestly... it probably made more of an impact than if he were to go "Well gosh dern it, where was everyone. This was one mighty important event and, well shucks, it would have been a hoot if all y'all had come on down to take part in it."

Some guys in some local bands and a number of local show goers were rather pissed about the way he struck out against the music scene in Albany. Others are unhappy that he spoke out against the "Bible belt". Honestly he could have promoted the show better and 127 people would be a good crowd out at one of our little crappy venues down here. The venue this show was done at costs around $2200 to rent and they want a crowd of no less than 700 people at shows there.

If you're wondering why he didn't go to any of our other venues it's because there really aren't any others to use. There's a little skate park that older people here refuse to go out to. The Lot (busted empty Lot behind a Mexican Restaurant that EbS has played at) has been deemed unusable by the owner as as new local business owner busted down the fence on what became their side of the property.

I agree with you here. There was one time I handed out over 2,000 flyers on my own, promoted like hell, etc and every.single.person. I talked to said, "I wouldn't miss it for the world", etc. Of those, only 5 people showed up, for a total of 15 people for an INTERNATIONAL ACT. I was PISSED.

So yes, I let my anger take over and wrote a letter (on a public forum) expressing my disappointment at the lack of the scene. Smart move? Eh, who knows, regardless I didn't resort to name calling or finger pointing and noted that *I* played a part in the failure of the show too.

Which I think it was draws the line here.

That being said, I realized (long ago) how stupid my rant was. It's not going to change anything, nor did it. And yes, I ROTFLMFAO at this. Especially knowing now what I do... and that fact that ANY promoter has had this happen at least half a dozen times.

-Metal

Metalrose....I commend you on actually handing out flyers....as of late people will just post a show or even a fest on Ultimate Metal and think that is enough to get people to a show. It seems you feel for the..."oh yeah...I will be there", that everyone says to people handing out flyers.

What bugs me the most is when there is local shows without a solid headliner. Then no one shows up and those bands and promoter say there is no support for a local scene and stuff. look at it from a concert goers point of view. There are the types of people who the music scene is their social life. Then there are the ones who go to shows which interest them. With most local shows it is the same bands who open for all the bigger tours that pass through. Most of those bands usually are not that good and we already get stuck having to sit through them when we dont want to....why would someone pay money to go to a show they have no interest in. I hear about people not supporting the scene constantly here in Chicago. Sure going to shows and seeing people is fun....but just to go and stand there all night watching bands that you have no interest in....it just dumbfounds me. Like stated above...people have jobs, famillies, and other interest outside of going to every show just to show support. I know from going to enough shows here that 85 percent of the people at shows seem like they are not even having fun there...almost it is like...yeah, I am here, where are we going next. Most people are texting, or standing way in the back looking bored. I can see both sides of things.....about 8 years ago we barely got any good tours here in the states. When a good tour hit...everyone went. Now lots of good tours come through. I think people have become lazy with the attitude that..."I will catch them next time they come back" theory.

I think it is also the promoters responsability to get the word out and make the show the best it can be. Here in Chicago (or Mokena at the Pearl Room). It is the trend to pack on all these local acts first.. most of the time we have no clue who is even playing till you get to the show. It ends up being a long night and at a few shows....the last bands get cut short because the first bands went too long. To me that detours me from wanting to go to shows. I dont want to see 4 bands to get to the one I want. Most of the time the opening acts dont even flow well with the headliners. For the Helloween show at the Pearl Room they were advertising since the tour was announced that Axxis was opening for them. Then other sites had Manticora as the opener....then the myspace page has Ion Vien. Axxis was playing a show in Spain that night and Manticora was on tour at that time with JOP. Ion Vien thankfully got bumped for the show. It was sloppy promoting. No one had a clue going into the show with who was playing.

When it comes to local acts complaining that no one comes to see them play and they play the ..."no one supports the local scene". well maybe no one wants to see you play. it is a hard statement but there is a large amount of local acts who play too much and some who need more practive before playing live. I guess my rant is done.

Yeah, I agree with the above. Just because there are local metal shows, I'm not going to go see every one of them unless I really want to.

When it seems like the same opening bands play every single show around the area (and then they open for the major headliners at the local venues), there is less incentive for me to go to the shows unless there is a major attraction for the headliner. Even then, I'll probably skip the opening bands because I've seen them 6 times and come late to the show. There's just very few bands that I want to see over and over. Even if a band like Symphony X or Edguy was here playing all the time, I would probably start missing their shows to.

I think it's a fine balance of getting exposure to get big, but not playing so much (in the same area) that you just come off as an annoyance

It's kind of how Into Eternity gets the rep for being on every single tour across the United States (at least it feels like it :lol:). If Into Eternity is on the bill, it does zero in making me want to go to the show more.

Idk what the solution is, as the music industry has changed so bands can't just go on the road like they used to - so situations constrain it. Bands want to play, but local shows is their only avenue to really get a chance at getting the spark.

But I've also seen these local shows where people do go supporting it - yet it seems over half the crowd is there just to socalize with the people and the music isn't the focus.

It's just sucky all the way around.