To Pro Tools or not to Pro Tools

FloridaRolf

W.A.T.
Sep 4, 2007
Germany
Hey guys,

I was going to get the Profire 2626 (500€) anyway, but then I saw the deal on the following bundle:

Profire 2626 + PTMP 8 + Music Production Toolkit 2 for 777€ (Thomann)

I don't have any experience with PT and can't try it out, but it seems like a pretty good deal for me.
I'm still happy with Reaper, but I'd like have some advice if I should go for PT or not.
I like the very easy routing options in Reaper, what is it compared to PT? I hated Cubase because of that :lol:
In Reaper there are also no limitations, I can do whatever my computer could handle, what about PT? I think the maximum of 64 tracks (with MPT2) is enough, even for the most chaotic projects I didn't use more than 45 tracks in Reaper.
Also, what about latency and CPU Usage?
And another very important question, editing workflow: I didn't do much (drum) editing yet, but before I get some more clients I want to get my recording and editing workflow to be as efficient as possible. Opinions about (multitrack) Beat Detective? I heard people use a mix of BD + manual editing, could that even an editing newb like me learn in a short while (BD + manual editing > Reaper slip method)?

Worth 277 additional €s?
Sorry if there are already thousands of threads considering this, but it's much money for me.

e: VERY important: I'm using a PC with Windows 7 64bit. What about stability / compability and is it able to use 64bit technology?

€500 for the profire? If you are getting the profire on its own, might I recommend shopping around, if you want to save 100 euro? Personally, I bought my profire last year and I was wondering the same question but in the end I stuck with cubase, so I cant really help you with your decision. AFAIK, one thing to consider is that with protools you can only have a maximum of 18 inputs. I dont think I'll ever use 18 inputs, but knowing that there is a pointless restriction like that bothered me

I really like PT even in LE mode. And if you get MPTK 2 then you get as you said multitrack BT and that is a great tool.

I really like the workflow from editing to mixing, but if you are gonna do full productions you will need to get this one : http://mellowmuse.com/ATA.html
so you can get rid of the latency issues :)

I only have a x2core 2.6ghz with 3gig ram and i never run out of memory in mix mode, so i dont think that will be a problem for you

I've tried them all (mostly)

I don't like PT.....if your happy with Reaper stick with it. It is a VERY good DAW software application compared to the big guns. I don't think you'll notice anything better with PT either.....the main point is what works for you, and your workflow. While PT could be great for some, it may hinder your creativity because your used to Reaper.