To Rid the Disease..Dark and Evil??

Allow me to re-state... (and try to rescue this thread)

I think the word I meant to use was miscarriage instead of abortion. I have a pretty in-depth analysis in my head, but I can't find the time to type it up. Should I bother?

I get more of a sense of disaffection rather than a miscarriage or abortion in these lyrics, given that other songs from damnation (In my time of need, Hope leaves, and Weakness) specifically imply a sort of estrangement between two people. The line "and stillborn, the trust in you" implies that the person the speaker is referring to has done something so significant that the speaker's reaction is a complete loss of trust in that person (this is further supported by the line "I have lost all trust I had in you" is repeated through the song). While I can see how someone might interpret the dramatic situation of the lyrics as being about an abortion on miscarriage (especially with the use of "stillborn"), the overall lyrical theme of Damnation seems to be consistent, and feelings of disaffection/estrangement seem to be conveyed more frequently (and clearly) than feelings of abortion or miscarriage. However, the term "abortion" may not meant to be taken literal in this case, as one could argue the lyrics are about an "abortion" of friendship/emotional closeness/etc. This is merely my interpretation of To rid the disease - regardless, this song (musically & lyrically) as well as the entier Damnation album is fucking awesome!

I agree with your interpretation 99%. I see the speaker not talking to a person (during the chorus), but rather, talking to God.

Okay. Bear with me. This may ramble a bit.

When someone has a miscarriage, they become weakened; physically, emotionally and sometimes spiritually.

1) Physically - Often, when a miscarriage occurs, a surgical procedure (one very similar to an abortion) is performed. This can cause severe bleeding and, if not done carefully, internal problems, and in rare cases, sterility.

2) Emotionally - After a miscarriage, many of the body's hormones remain elevated (the body still thinks it is pregnant). This can cause radical mood swings, depression, and in general unfamiliar emotions.

3) Spiritually - For those who believe in a God, pregnancy and childbirth can be seen as a divine miracle, rather than a simple mixture of specific bodily fluids. Those who have a miscarriage may find themselves questioning their faith. This is very similar to the "how can there be a God if there are starving people in Africa" vibe, just a lot more personal.

So, going with that basis, I see the lyrics as coming from someone who recently had a miscarriage and is dealing with the aftereffects discussed above.

One more thing before I look at specific lyrics - This may be my interpretation because prior to the birth of our last child, my wife went through a miscarriage. So, it is a bit personal for me.

Remember, though, that Mikael's wife also recently gave birth. I heard somewhere that as many as 50% of all women who give birth to at least one child will also experience at least one miscarriage. So, again, it's possible.

>There's nobody here, there's nobody near
>I try not to care, dead eyes always stare
>Let these matters be, don't trust what you see
>Take hold of your time, step into the line

The speaker is very lonely, both inside themselves and in their real lives. They feel very depressed and try to "move on" from the situation by not caring. I believe that "Dead eyes always stare" refers to nightmares or visions of a dead child haunting the speaker. Many pregnant women have dreams of their children, even before they are born. It’s not much of a leap to suggest that they may have similar nightmares after a miscarriage.

The next line is denial. The speaker is again trying to move on by telling those around them to not worry about it, and to not "trust what [they] see". A miscarriage is a failure of the body to produce a living child, and a woman who has experienced this may feel that they may never have a successful pregnancy. The speaker is trying to emphasize that this situation is merely an anomaly. The last line is a bit cryptic to me, but I think it emphasizes consistency – "stay the course, and all will be fine." Mainly a defense mechanism guarding how they really feel.

>Leave your mark upon the head of someone
>Who'll cry for his state, we know it's too late
>I turn round to see what was meant to be
>Faint movement release to rid the disease

In this stanza (quatrain?) the speaker is addressing God. It is also more rationalizing. The speaker is blaming the miscarriage on God (basically saying, why me?) Finally, here is the crucial part for me – what is this "disease" that is being referred to? One way a person rationalizes the loss of an unborn child is by telling themselves that there was something wrong with the fetus. So, in a way, the miscarriage is the body’s way of stopping something that wasn’t going to work out anyway. The chorus echos this thought:

>There's innocence torn from its maker
>Stillborn the trust in you
>This failure has made the creator
>So would you tell him what to do (would you)

Line one is obvious. Line two is a play on words between the stillborn fetus and the loss of trust between the speaker and God. The final lines are the rationalization – this was the creator’s decision, don’t question it. It was for the better.

So, that’s the shit rattling around in my head when I hear the song. Again, I’m not saying this is what the song is about, I’m just telling you all what I think it might be about. Lyric interpretation is a personal thing, and unless the author comes out and tells you explicitly what they are writing about, then I feel that it’s open to individual interpretations.

Comments are welcome and eagerly awaited.

I think the main idea of the song is about the evilness which lays in all of us.... given by nature.

another thought regarding the chorus. when you put aside that it's about the relationship between two human beings.. you could think he's talking about the big picture... you know, the fukker who created all this.. he created all this and has no clue what it's all about. maybe he's even living in this mess, sitting infront of a computer, getting drunk and wondering WTF!

As for the last 2 posts...you both make good points. The last post is similar to the interpertation I wrote earlier in the thread. But I can't help but see the possibility of "miscarriage", or some symbolism of it being the meaning of the song. Very well written and thought out interpertation.(wwallinga)

Either way, it's a great song and although somewhat cryptic...that's what makes some music so great. It's deep and makes you think.

Seth

Decadent said:
Who cares?
:D
but really, the song is about judaism/christianity. i read that somewhere shortly after damnation came out. i say it's semi-official because i cant remember if the article was in mikes own words or not. but that sounds pretty good. makes sense to me. i think y'all are reading way too much into it.
the song is about "ridding the disease" of the judeo/christian tradition (and probably religion at-large). end of story.
...and i like the intro, because its easy to play. and im all about stuff that doesnt require much effort. unlike Still Life. jeez.

I've always thought it leans a bit to the evil side lyrically. Evil in a weird way...as I interperet it...humankind is diseased and in a sense is a disease. The creator has to decide how to fix it, and maybe the best way is eradicate the whole race. Obviously most Opeth lyrics are very poetic and open to different interpertations. That's what I've always thought it was about. It could be much more specific though...??

Seth

ya seth you have expressed in a similar way i thought..I also find this song evilish..

There's nobody here, there's nobody near
I try not to care, dead eyes always stare
Let these matters be, don't trust what you see
Take hold of your time, step into the line

"Now I only see the deads and but I don't trust these dreams "

There's innocence torn from its maker
And stillborn, the trust in you
This failure has made the creator
So would you tell him what to do

" The Innocence is being torned by GOD himself.
But I'm born and trusting in you.
This failure led to create evil in me. God tell him what to do."

Leave your mark upon the head of someone
Who'll cry for his state, we know it's too late
I turn round to see what was meant to be
Faint movement release to rid the disease

"Try to trust the evils to get rid of this disease, 'cause its too late .

(I have lost all trust I had in you)

"I lost my trust in God"

ya seth you have expressed in a similar way i thought..I also find this song evilish..

There's nobody here, there's nobody near
I try not to care, dead eyes always stare
Let these matters be, don't trust what you see
Take hold of your time, step into the line

"Now I only see the deads and but I don't trust these dreams "

There's innocence torn from its maker
And stillborn, the trust in you
This failure has made the creator
So would you tell him what to do

" The Innocence is being torned by GOD himself.
But I'm born and trusting in you.
This failure led to create evil in me. God tell him what to do."

Leave your mark upon the head of someone
Who'll cry for his state, we know it's too late
I turn round to see what was meant to be
Faint movement release to rid the disease

"Try to trust the evils to get rid of this disease, 'cause its too late .

(I have lost all trust I had in you)

"I lost my trust in God"

Ah, nothin' like a 4 and a half year bump. :kickass:

Mike always introduces Deliverance as a nice pretty ballad yet no one here can believe that this instance is a joke?!

^ Explain? I don't get it.

Live, Mike likes to be sarcastic like this. It's simply a fact after the countless quotes from fans about how Mike says something like "Ok guys we're going to play a nice mellow ballad" and then comes in with Deliverance. Considering he jokes around like that, it would obviously make sense for him to do the exact opposite and call a mellow song dark and evil. Hence, a 3-page contemplating whether or not Mike was actually serious is pointless because obviously he wasn't.

Well, I think he refers to the lyrics and to some parts... I mean the bassline for that song is so fuckin heavy I just love to play it!