To rid the disease

musicnerd

Oct 19, 2004
Does anyone here have any clue what the lyrics are about. This is one of my favorite songs on Damnation...simply beautiful and haunting. But I can't make any sense out of the lyrics.

never thought about it before but just had a quick read and maybe its about someone getting over being left for someone else?

Mr Samsara said:
your opinion... right?

I actually think the words seem to fit... but I don't remember Mike saying that himself, that's all... do you?

:devil:

I rememberd an old thread about the song, abortion came up....its certainly a good interpretation.

musicnerd said:
Does anyone here have any clue what the lyrics are about. This is one of my favorite songs on Damnation...simply beautiful and haunting. But I can't make any sense out of the lyrics.

I was wondering the exact same thing because on Lamentations he said that it was a very dark and evil song. And, just like you I could decifer no real meaning or come up with a story line to match the lyrics. They just seem too vague and open to many interpretations. So, it is officially about abortion?

I love the first 2/3 of the movie, but I think everything that involved the conflict with the soldiers was too facile. I prefer the original Night of the Living Dead and the Dawn of the Dead remake.

To Rid the Disease definitely did not remind me of any of those movies, however. I am confused by Akerfeldt's statement about the song being evil, and wonder if he was just trying to mess with people's heads. To me it's a fairly general song about loneliness and desolation, the tendency of painful experiences to result in great art ("This failure has made the creator"), and a reaching out to someone else who may have let the speaker down or is somehow responsible for his suffering. I wouldn't try to find a more definite storyline, because there simply isn't a concrete scenario in the lyrics.