To those of you that play an instrument...

Daybreaker

Red, Hot, and Heavy
Jul 6, 2002
San Antonio, TX
Visit site
How did you go about starting off? Like when you started learning songs, how did you progress? I'm curious because I just started learning some Priest stuff, Breaking The Law and Grinder. Stupid simple yes, but I know my limitations at this stage. Were there ever certain pieces or solos that you said "By gory, I WILL be able to play that someday"? If I can play the solos to Beyond The Realms Of Death, I think I might be satisfied with myself.

best tip i can give is fuck limitations.
if you start hindering your aggresiveness, or tone down your hard work, you wont get there with as much perfection and speed- maybe not at all.
something may sound like shit, and it may be above your level...but, within reason, dont put it on the back burner because of that.

practice the stuff you are worst at, always practice the right things when you are in practice mode. alot of people start off practicing and then in 5 mins they are just doodling. the best way to progress is just find the areas you need improving on the most and work on those first.

i like www.wholenote.com

i dont know what level you are at but these are the best free guitar lessons on the net IMO >>> http://chrisjuergensen.com.hosting.domaindirect.com/lessons.htm

I started with lessons, decided I hated it, switched teachers, learned some valuable number and pattern theory, and taught the rest myself... I don't learn other bands' songs. I'm very much of an improviser and a jam guitarist.

Music theory I had with me from my 7 years of strict piano lessons.

Well I was a band geek. Played the trumpet all through my youth. Had ambitions of joining the University of Michigan Marching Band, because I saw a halftime show and knew that performing music in front of a crowd is what I needed to do in life. Then Metallica came out, and Roger got himself a guitar. A year later, I figured, might as well try this rock n roll stuff out. So I found the crappiest Peavey bass ever at a pawn shop, and started hacking away.

Was weird at first, cuz I went from a lead, treble instrument to a supporting, bass instrument. I know plenty of music theory from school, but only maybe had three or four actual bass lessons. I tend to first learn the basic key changes, and get the flow of the song down. Then I'll find as many ways to embellish and fancy-up the song as it sounds appropriate. Cliff Burton and Steve Harris are my strongest influences.

I started off learning a few parts of various songs that I liked. Then many years later after really having no impressive capabilities started taking lessons. I have since stopped taking lessons temporarily due not being able to afford it at the moment.

What are your goals?

Its true that many of the rock/metal guitar gods were self taught. But its also true that some of most truly talented players were not.

As for how to practice. First, tune your instrument. This is very important for developing your. Secondly, mix it up. Its good to practice some time with reading music, some time doing scales, some time learning a song you enjoy. When learning songs part of that can be based on tabs/notation, but part of it should be by ear.

Also, I recommend downloading various tracks that are meant to be jammed to, and just jam to those. If you can't find anything good (there are some free on the net), take a song you really like and just jam to it the whole time.

Some good bands to learn from are Sabbath and first several albums-Rush. Primarily because when you learn the song it sounds right. Unlike Maiden where other than certain sections in songs, you almost need 2-3 guitarists for it to sound right.

As for Web sites/books to learn things from. If you want to learn lots of scales and licks, then there are plenty of good books in any guitar store, and for licks I recommend www.chopsfromhell.com

I've played trumpet from 6th grade to Senior Year of college. I learned no theory during this stint except for one class while I attempted a B.S. in Music .. I barely made a C in Music Theory (though I should've failed :lol: ). However, I rocked at Ear Training.

So I took the intervals that I learned in Ear Training and applied them to the guitar, allowing me to teach myself by ear. I skipped chords because I didn't want to play chords .. I wanted to play lead! DON'T DO WHAT I DID! Seriously, I can do a fairly diverse amount of lead work (as my coverband covers 40-something 80's songs), but I cannot play most of the chorded rhythm stuff - unless it's distorted, then I will melt your face :heh:. So, I did things ass-backwards :rolleyes: ... I'm currently correcting this as I'm now in a classic-rock phase (which is what buying a diverse Marshall can do to you...)

SO!!! Learn your chords .. seriously, walk before you run. From Sultans of Swing: "Check out Guitar George .... he knows all the chords.." Yeah, be THAT guy! Then, take the simple minor scale and learn to alternate pick duples and triplets .. alternate picking triplets is difficult to master - do it, though, and you'll be in good shape .. then go blast away at The Four Horsemen :cool: Finally, learn the pentatonic and blues scales and learn to make that guitar sing. Add more scales and whatever seasoning and have a ball.

--Sean

P.S. There's nothing wrong with playing "stupid simple" stuff. As soon as I struck a root-5th power chord for the first time and realized it sounded like Metallica, I played nothing but For Whom The Bell Tolls and Enter Sandman for weeks on end .... only the rhythms, though. Y'know, I still haven't gone back to those to do the leads. Hmmmmmm..

Also, keep in mind which notes you're playing and what key you're in. I can't recall how many times I've been asked, "Hey, while we're doing this part what notes are you playing there?" I'll just look at my fretboard and say, "Dude, seriously I have no idea what notes I'm playing ..ever .. I just know it's right."

Lastly, when you start learning solos from a song, try to think of what YOU would have played right there. Then work it out and see how it fits with the song playing in the background.

Ok, done for good now :p