Todays ALL NEW Tube screamer samples

Andy Sneap

Metal Guru
Apr 17, 2002
at home
andysneap.com
OK here’s the deal, I messed up haha!

That stock TS9 sample that we all said sounded undergained yesterday (except Nitro), well, there was a good reason for that, you’ll now find that sample relabelled No TS9. Doh!

I thought the difference was too good to be true, but I’ve been busy soldering away again this afternoon for your entertainment.

SO

What I have ended up with is 2 modded TS9s.

happycouple.jpg

The new original stock TS9 I have replaced the chip and done the brown mod.
For the samples with this, I have- with old chip and brown mod only, with new chip and brown mod.

The older TS9 that had the good chip already in, I have rebuilt (see pics, this thing literally just crumbled) with the aid of an old sonic distortion pedal. I’ve just done the cap mods on this, no brown mod, though I think I will, as I’m liking that on the other TS.
For the samples on this one we have TS2 (this is just rebuilt, but should sound identical to TS1 with new chip, as that’s what it is supposedly) and TS2 with cap mod.

carnage.jpg

Just for the geeks out there, and that includes all of you, settings on both TS were everything at 12 o’clock, it was easier to line everything up this way, and the amp of choice was the Krankenstein into Boogie with V30’s mic’d with audix i5

Sorry, there’s no stock new TS9, I messed up, take my word for it, its better. To hear the difference between chips listen to 2 brown mod samples.

Next week I’m swapping celestions, as they’ve just endorsed me (smug grin) so I’ll give y’all some cab and speaker samples.

Samples are http://www.andysneap.com/downloads/tubescreamer

mod kit was bought from here
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7358526886&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr3_PcY_BIN_IT

Dude you just rock the hardest dont you. Taking time to do this for all of us is awsome. I thank you sooooooo much.

Hands down New Chip Brown mod is the fave, but TS2 with cap mod sounds almost identical to me. Mabe its the noob ears.

Da Fukn Guru

guitarguru777 said:
read the whole POst ... lol

It was a Krankenstein with a Mesa cab and an Audix i5

Da Fukn Guru
Yeah, sorry about that:loco: Just saw Andy told it...

Fair play andy for the examples examples. Really looking forward to modding my TS9.

I'm looking forward to hearing the difference the speakers makes. I unfortunetly don't have a good cab. I have a Dual Rectifier but I couldn't afford the cab so I opted for a Marshall Mode Four Cab MF400. They have Celestions in them but they don't say what type. It does the job for live. But when it comes to recording it sounds horrible. The nicest cabs I've played it through we're a set a JCM800 4x12's. I'm not sure what speakers are in that. I've been thinking bout swappnig the speakers out or possibly selling it and getting a better cab.

Thanks for taking the time out again, Andy! As well as being really insightful about the Tubescreamer mods, it's been a great way to train one's ears a bit further to hear subtleties.

For me it ended up being a showdown between TS1 + New Chip + Brown mod and TS2 + Cap mod. Which I'll just abbreviate to TS1 and TS2.

The differences I can hear is slightly more smoothness and richness in the mids for the TS1, which appeals to me. The TS2 definately has a bit more bite, but I think it's just a little harsher than the TS1. Anything with this minor level of difference is entirely personal prefference though.

I'd love to hear the New Chip, Cap Mod and Brown mod all in the one TS... smoothness heaven :)

Thanks Andy!

Sneap, du alte Sau!

Thanks for taking the time for posting these. Although I am quite happy with my Maxon OD-820 and wouldn't spend extra money and time getting another pedal and modding it as I just do home demos of myself. I don't need another pedal. To my ears, my Maxon gives me smooth enough results. Although I will definitely take this in my notes just in case I need another pedal one day.

Very educational! Thanks! I can tell the difference between them all. But honestly, I think that all the different mods, although slightly different sounding, basically accomplish the same thing. Im not sure if it would matter in the end by the time you finished a mix which TS you chose. You'd make the tone adhere to your own tastes in tone one way or another with eq or whatever.

And personally I dont think I'd use any of them. (thats me) I have been trying to make a TS work for me but with the amps we use(Mesa, Peavey, Engl, etc), we get enough gain. And I dont think I like the way the pedal takes away the dirty edge of an amp. Seems to me that it makes the tone hide away in the mix more. But thats what I have found with my amps with my room, with my pedal, with my ears, etc, etc. So as they say "Your mileage may vary".

I'm MASSIVELY interested in hearing your Celestion comparisons though Andy! What about 50's? Will they send you any 50's?

Colin

Colin

Andy Sneap said:
That stock TS9 sample that we all said sounded undergained yesterday (except Nitro)
Fuck. Sorry Andy.

Actualy, after hearing them again, I do notice a difference although very subtle.

I suppose my ears wanted to hear a major drastic change. But I realise that what I'm looking for is a very subtle silky-ish enhancement. And I can hear it.

I think.

vile_ator said:
And personally I dont think I'd use any of them. (thats me) I have been trying to make a TS work for me but with the amps we use(Mesa, Peavey, Engl, etc), we get enough gain. And I dont think I like the way the pedal takes away the dirty edge of an amp. Seems to me that it makes the tone hide away in the mix more. But thats what I have found with my amps with my room, with my pedal, with my ears, etc, etc. So as they say "Your mileage may vary".

I've actually been thinking about this quite a lot recently. I remember vividly during my teenage years that I strongly preferred listening to a rugged, untame guitar sound over a more polished sound. I don't know if it's because I'm older now or what, but these days I definitely prefer the tame sound, probably because it tends to be a little more consistent and "professional" sounding. Whatever works I suppose.

yep, there's no rules as they say, and I think even the stock TS9 is fine, This was really an exercise just to show the difference. I get my OD820 back today, so I'll post a sample with that before I break down the rig.

I think the best thing about what Andy has done is to seperate the 'voodoo' of tweaking your tone from actual appreciable differences. I hear a difference between every clip, which I didn't really expect to, making this another tweak that moves from the world of theory and opinion to something more concrete. Wow, that all sounded way more serious than I wanted it too. The clips ROCK!!!