New Samples V30 vs Eminence / SM57 vs i5

It's funny, is'nt it?

How you think cabs sound alike a bit when you hear them over a period of time.. but if you hear them and A/B them directly after each other within seconds, the differences are quite stellar.

On the boogie cab with V30's, i would say i liked it more when miced with the SM57.. just a bit more transparent..

The krank eminence sounds more edgy overall.. more emphasis on treble then the other two.. i liked it though, but was not the best out of the three.. but again, i liked the SM57 clip a bit better..

The krank cab with the V30's.. i liked this one the most Andy... again with the SM57.. then the boogie cab, and then the krank eminence..

Thanks for posting this kind of stuff, this is what's it all about.. let us who do not have the gear and knowledge hear this kind of stuff.. is that 5150 top modded B.T.W.?

Cheers and thanks!!

Thanks, Andy.. For taking the time, etc. Ppl appreciate this more than you'd think.

These sound clips are the perfect example of why I use a V30 loaded boogie cab and an audix i5.

the Boogie V30 cab with i5 is the clear winner for me... it is much more open the the 57 and has a nice presence that isn't at all harsh. the 57 sound s a bit boxed in by comparison.

the runner up was the Krank cab with i5... so close in fact that i changed my mind about the pecking order a couple times already... they are both quite good.. in the end though it was 2nd place for me. with the 57, again the sound was more "boxey"

the Eminence samples were both... eh... how do i say this in the most "PC" way possibe?.... ok, got: they were total shit. very harsh on the top end and even some kind of phasey thing going on, which for some reason the 57 revealed much more than the i5.

Andy, which combination do you personally prefer? I'm loving the Krank cab with V30's (those speakers just love a real hardwood cab) but I can see different situations demanding the two different mics, for this clip the 57 wins in my ears but the i5 does have a really nice bottom end that would work nicely on Arch Enemy-style riffage.

What's the eminence model Andy? V12? I prefer the sm57 over the I5 btw.... And the Mesa Cab...

That i5 kills the 57 to my ears... Im with James pretty much exactly... Im back and forth between both cabs, but yeah, the v30s do get it done.

J

definately v30's in the boogie for me, but between the i5 and the 57 :cry:
I can't pick :D

The i5 seems a bit cleaner, but lacking a bit of the agressive midrange of the 57. i5 seems bit tighter as well.

Awesome, thanks again Andy, we love ya and all that.

The winner for me was the Boogie Cab /w V30s mic'ed with SM57. The i5 revealed a bit of muddy top-end which I'm not very partial to. The SM57 almost sounds like it has better transient response because the riff sounded more articulate through it.

The Eminence speakers... as said... just sound really bad in contrast. I like the different vibes that the V30s give in both cabinets, even though the boogie comes out on top for me in the end.

So what is your opinion on the sounds, Andy?

Thanks so much! Very cool. Hey was that the taller Boogie cab or the smaller one?

For me it was the Boogie V30's with the 57. The I5 is close but has that added high end. Really it seems like the I5 is more realistic but but I prefer the more agressive mid that sticks out of the mix that a 57 always has. Im usually looking to control that sizzle on top anyway.

Colin

didn't find the the i5 samples to be "sizzley" at all... i found them to simple sound more open and not harsh at all.. not lacking in mids either and the low end is tighter.

except for the eminence samples... sizzle fest

V30's and the i5 for me as well. It just seems a little more open & smooth in the top, and more agressive/well defined single notes in the mids. Of course, then again, I've turned into a total Audix whore lately.:devil:

-0z-

First of all, Eminence is what one would gift to their enemies. :)

Now earlier in a previous thread where Andy was demonstrating the i5, I thought that the i5 was more 'gentlemanly' than the SM57 and I meant 'gentlemanly' in the negative sense. I thought the i5 was tamer. Nice ears Nitronium Blood.

Listening to these clips, I realise that it is the SM57 that is more of a Gentleman that the i5. In this case 'Gentleman' is a compliment.

When I hear the i5, I can picture a young n' high Dave Mustaine all over the place on stage in some sort of drunken stupor. The SM57 is more refined, tight, precise and sophisticated to my ears.

I can't decide on what Cab I like more, the boogie or the krank. The Krank is nice and bright... but I dunoo.

:)

To me the V30s have more body, and 'texture' I guess is the word. And I can understand why you all say they're better. But honestly I think all the v30 tones could do with some of what the Eminence has more of... the top end, while it's not perfect, and creates and exposes more artifacts, it's kinda more to my liking up there in the pick attack brightness and presence. I hear the sizzle and it's not pleasant, but at the same time(or is it not at the same time), when it's percussive/staccato like (ie chords aren't ringing out) it's not a 'sizzling' at all, I'd actually say it's a range where you need that high frequency responsiveness. (basically I mean: when the pick strikes the strings, the range that sizzles.. is actually an good enhancement)

I'm someone who is a big fan of I guess the '90's ultra hi-fi' sort of tones, like Pantera - Vulgar + FF - Demanufacture for eg. And I'm influenced by that in style. So perhaps I'm hearing something more reminiscent of that.

So again, I get the V30 appeal. And I guess it's a more natural feel. But I do think they sound a little more distant compared to the Eminence. I guess it's just my differing idea on how much guitar should be 'up there'.

*douses self in petrol* ...light me up! :D

PS I should ad, this goes more for the i5 Eminence. Compare that to the boogie i5 if for some reason you want to hear things my way... which ya'll probaly don't..!

Nitronium Blood said:
When I hear the i5, I can picture a young n' high Dave Mustaine all over the place on stage in some sort of drunken stupor. The SM57 is more refined, tight, precise and sophisticated to my ears.
nitro.... you ate paint chips as a child. lol.... maybe you still do... and if so, stop. it's bad. ;)

there's nothing harsh in the i5/boogie samples.. the top is very smooth and open. does this mean i will always choose it over a 57? no.... not if a 57 fit better on a given sound/project. but i am liking it a LOT.

let's hear from Andy now.