Too soon for predictions/requests for PPUSA 18?

Oct 4, 2007
We're just a month away from yet another amazing weekend, and in fact four amazing days of bands. I love this festival, if for no other reason that it turns me on to bands that I might not otherwise have heard. This year, I've come to enjoy the brilliance of Devon Townsend, Stream of Passion, Serious Black, Freedom Call and others.

But one of my favorite parts of the weekend is the anticipation for the video for next year. So, what are your requests and/or predictions for the 2017 festival? I'll give some of my own once I've had the chance to hear what some of you have to say.

It's too late for requests since the roster is probably almost set, if not done, but it's never too early for predictions.

A couple bands that I'd be fairly surprised to not see booked:
Dynazty
Myrath

And a few that seem like decent possibilities:
Borknagar
Sunburst
Threshold

And some longshots that would be great:
Jag Panzer
Nightingale
Riot (they would bring the house down)

Aside from that, no idea. I haven't kept the pulse on prog and power metal as much this year - or not as much has been lighting me up - so I'll likely be even more surprised than usual with the roster announcement.

Eclipse
Soto
W.E.T.
Whitesnake
Loudness (never had a band from Japan)
Candlemass
Paradox
Lacuna Coil
Dynazty
Metal Church
Tainted Nation
Ghost or Ghost B.C.
Gus G.
Nordic Union
Y&T

This is more of a wish list than a prediction. Added a few more.

Diviner
Sunburst
Brainstorm
Eclipse
Ensiferum
Buckethead
Innerwish
Loudness
Anthem
Manimal
Metal Allegiance
Sanctuary
Pegazus
Psycrence
Shrinebuilder
Stinking Lizaveta
Twilight Force
Vanden Plas
Votum
Morgana Lefay
Savatage
Accept

Last edited:
Almost definitely will get booked:
Power Quest
Redemption
Myrath

Probably:
Sunburst
InnerWish

Hoping for:
Votum
Kingcrow
Vanden Plas
Threshold
Teramaze
Subsignal

Reactions: Random Axe
Agent Fresco
Port Noir
Thank You Scientist
Katatonia
Gazpacho
The Pineapple Thief
The Gathering reunion with Anneke

Here are some of my hopes:

Threshold: Haven't played PPUSA since 2007, and so this would be a very good time for them to return.

Sabaton: Granted, they headlined the festival fairly recently (2013), but I wouldn't be surprised to see them get a Day 1 or Day 2 slot.

Accept: This would be truly awesome for me, as I've never had the chance to see them live in any incarnation. I'll be seeing UDO in January (the last time he'll be doing Accept material), so catching the current version of Accept doing some of the same material, plus a lot of the newer stuff would be great.

Eden's Curse: This would be pretty nifty, but the legal issues over the band's name could be a hindrance.

Metal Church: Please bring them!!!! Mike Howe was one of the more amazing vocalists of the late 80's and early 90's, and I'd love to see this reunion.

I'm expecting:
Dynazty
Vanden Plas
Ghost Ship Octavius
Myrath
Sunburst
Unisonic
Redemption

Really hoping for:
Gamma Ray
Brainstorm
Mob Rules
Candlemass
Orphaned Land
Electro-Nomicon

Wouldn't surprise me:
Helloween
Edguy
Rhapsody of Fire
Kingcrow

Long shot, but REALLY hoping for:
Pretty Maids
Powerwolf
Pagan's Mind (probably too soon, but maybe not)
Crazy Lixx
Axel Rudi Pell

Well, damn near all of us expect that you didn't book Ayreon, so if you want to zig by booking Ayreon, feel free to throw that curveball at us. ;)
I like how you think! Then again, we did vote to make him go with the curveball. Maybe the big name was Ayreon and we fucked ourselves!? OH GOD WHAT HAVE WE DONE!?

Sunburst, Ghost Ship Octavius, and Myrath seem like "good chance" choices. I don't know about anyone else, but as far as returners go I would really love to see Ihsahn again. Pagan's Mind is always welcomed. I'm still agog that my 3 favorite melodeath acts have all played (or will be playing this year) the fest: Soilwork, Solution .45, and Scar Symmetry. Any of those doing another set would be most welcomed. Anything with the Mountain King is always fantastic.

And because everyone loves lists of varying realism

Bands I Would Love (more or less reasonable):
Anubis Gate (I really want this one to happen)
Shattered Skies (pending vocalist?)
Hemina
Caligula's Horse
Destiny Potato (or anything David Maxim Micic)
The Omega Experiment (do they even do live? who cares, it would kick ass)
Lalu
Disperse (I'm gonna keep on wishing and hoping for this)
Black Fate
Earthside
Fake Heroes (me and like 6 other people, file under the "less" side)
Tesseract
Universe Effects
Persefone (I have to see how this insanity translates to live, I hope they get another shot)
Sound Struggle
James LaBrie solo
Distorted Harmony
Twelve Foot Ninja

The Make Me a Miracle category:
ARK
Ayreon
Savatage
Dream Theater doing Images and Words and Awake
Conception (we can even use the new Greek Khan if we want, it's fine)
Demons & Wizards

In the mean time, zig when they expect you to zag.

rickon-stark-1920.jpg

Awful glaring omission on my part.

Freakin Evergrey! A) a good chance they're playing next year and B) a band I would damned sure love to see on that stage again.

After all these years, I still find these types of posts fascinating. Some are true guess to a balance roster and some are just personal wish lists. Regardless, it provides insight as to what people are thinking, even with a very small sample size.

In the mean time, zig when they expect you to zag.
mine is PURELY a wish list of who I would like to see but expect NONE LOL

Came up with this as a roster:

Katatonia
Vektor
Myrath
Cain's Offering
The Paralydium Project
Ancient Bards

Edguy
Diablo Swing Orchestra
Psychotic Waltz
Caligula's Horse
Hammers of Misfortune
Sunburst

There's like a million different directions for every slot, but I couldn't think of ANY names for a mid level power metal band. Glenn's really booked just about everyone of note.