Top 10 Michael Romeo SX solos

Ayreon - "Dawn of a Million Souls"
If you have not heard his solo and Russell's glorious vocals on this song. I would strongly suggest you go listen to the glory at hand.
It maybe my favorite Michael Romeo solo of all time.

I think Russell's vocals are better than Romeo's solo on the Ayreon track. Just my 2 cents. Great song, though.

The lyrics to that song are among the cheesiest I've ever heard, to the point where it hampers the vocal performance. I only pull that song out every once in awhile when I'm sure no one else will hear me listening to it. It is for sure musically a cool one, though.

It's almost like the melodies are too good given the subject matter. I also don't like that the narrator is essentially just spouting off relatively non-poetic observations to using these epic melodies (primarily in the verses, the chorus is fine).

It's really just the subject matter. I see zero difference between the lyrics on that song and most Symphony X lyrics as far as the composition style goes.

Neither do I. It is the subject matter, and especially the subject matter embedded into the compositional style of SX.

After a lot of hard listening I can finally respond to this question and it hasn't been easy. But I have finally narrowed it down to 13 and sorry, I cannot do better than that,

In chronological order cos preferential is impossible

Secrets
Lady of the Snow
Of Sins and Shadows
Evolution
Wicked
Accolade 2
The Turning
Set the World on Fire
Seven
Iconoclast
Light up the Night
Underworld
To Hell and Back

Cool list man. It's ok man, I ended up adding 3 to my list of ten as well, haha. It was a fun thinking/listening exercise for me.

Yes it was great fun. But very hard. I can't believe some of the great solos I had to discard. And despite my love of guitar solos this list is surprisingly different to my favourite tracks list.