Top 15 of 2004

Soul of Ice

Rusted Angel
Jul 29, 2002
Yonkers
Visit site
Well, my top 15 that is anyway.

Haven't been here in an eternity almost. Possibly due to the lack of good metal. Maybe I just haven't felt like going on music boards. I don't know. But I am here now, posting this. Enjoy, hate, or feel indifference to what I am about to post.

15) Dead Soul Tribe "The January Tree" - Some good songs, some clunkers, some filler. Average CD. The drumming by Mustafa is excellent and singing from Buddy is great, but the songs and song structure are much too predictable. On a positive note, the singing has much more emotion than "A Murder of Crows," although still nowhere near the masterpiece of the self titled album.

14) Sleepytime Gorrilla Museum "Of Natural History" - Great bizarre stuff. I like it a lot, but don't find myself being drawn back to listen over and over. Beware of the Donkey headed aversary of humanity.

13) Gwar "War Party" - You may laugh, in fact you probably are, but seriously, listen to this album. I was amazed by the musicianship (granted, this is the first album of theirs that I listened to from beginning to end) of the members, the lyrics are satyrical, and the songs are fun and catchy. Serious Megadeth "Rust in Peace" era worship on this disc, and that is not a bad thing at all.

12) Ayreon "The Human Equation" - Great stuff. It has been discussed enough here to kill a horse, so I won't comment any more on it, except to say that Buddy owned all the other singers on that disc.

11) Riverside "Out of Myself" - The musical soundscape on this album can only be described with one word; lush. Great everything. Check out the cd if you haven't.

10) Iced Earth "Glorious Burden" - Okay, it took me a while to warm up to this disc, a long while. But it is indeed an excellent album, which I rank under Horror Show, which ranks under their best album "Burnt Offerings." Too bad Barlow did not sing. I hope you are busting criminal ass Matt.

9) Enertia "Force" - Excellently strong album with consitantly good song after song. I appreciate good ol' fashion heavy metal, not many bands do that now a days.

8) Megadeth "The System Has Failed" - Mustaine back in force. I will surely be looking forward to his next release, be it Megadeth or independant. Very happy that I saw Megadeth's supposed last tour, totally slayed every other concert I have been to.

7) 3 Inches of Blood "Advance and Vanquish" - If you are a fan of Manowar or Judas Priest and you have not heard this album, drop everything you have to do just to listen to this incredible album. If you are not a fan of the previous bands, drop everything anyway and enjoy the band. Who wouldn't love songs about pirates, war, and killer robots?

6) Into Eternity "Buried in Oblivion" - Awesome, simply awesome. If you are living under a rock, in a cave, on the bottom of the ocean, and still have not heard these guys - imagine if Death and Queensryche had a baby.

5) Fates Warning "FWX" - Many people feel this is just an "eh" release, but I love it for what it is, not what I want it to be. Well, it happens to be what I want it to be actually, a great combination of APSOG and Disconnected. Listen to "Handful of Doubt" and try not to get swept away in the song.

4) Textures "Polars" - Now this is what new thrash bands should be attempting to do. Meshuggah influenced, but they write very cohessive and complex songs that catch and grab your attention. Granted, the lyrics don't make much sense, but you don't understand the singer half the time, but you really get caught up and energized by his rage.

3) Age of Silence "Acceleration" - A mindbender of a listen. Beautifully moving and confusing listen, which requires many spins in order to comprehend the story and music.

2) Orphaned Land "Mabool" - Yeah, I believe way, way, way back I talked about this album. Well, I still listen to it and it is truly a unique album blending prog, death, and middle eastern music. A must listen.

1) Winds "The Imaginary Direction of Time" - There are not enough positive adjectives to describe how I feel about this amazing album. Every instrument is played with extreme precision and the album has by far the best lyrics that I have ever read.

Albums that I have still to hear for this year - Slipknot "Vol. 3" - surprisingly heard many good things, Angra "Temple of Shadows," and Nighingale "Invisible"

There's no way I even heard 15 different '04 albums. The ones that turned my crank were (in no order):

The Tangent II - The World That We Drive Through
Karmakanic - Wheel Of Life
Borknagar - Epic
Vintersorg - The Focusing Blur
The Flower Kings - Adam & Eve

Um, that's it.

i can think of a few not 15

derek sherinian - mythology
joe satriani - is there love in space......

thats it, im tired and going to bed o_O :Smug: more later

Ayreon -THE
Pain of Salvation-Be
Into Eternity-Buried in Oblivion
Mercenary-11 Dreams
Mattias Eklundh-the Road Less Travelled
Angra-Temple of Shadows
Incubus-Crow Left of the Murder
APC-Thirteenth Step
Dead Soul Tribe-January Tree
Sonata Arctica-Reckoning Night
Mnemic-Audio Injected Soul
Disarmonia Mundi-Fragments of D-Generation
Fates Warning-FWX
Spastic Ink-Ink Compatable
Dungeon-One Step Beyond

so much other good stuff though by
Edguy,Meshuggah,Exodus,Megadeth,Death Angel,Jorn, Richie Kotzen and others i can't think of just now

I can't think of 15 albums... heck, there are a few '04 releases that are still on my "to lesten to" list. But if I could name a couple...

Ayreon - THE
Within Temptation - The Silent Force

Hmm... that's it for now. I didn't really like Angra's new album, and the latest Nightwish album was a bit of a letdown. Iced Earth's new album was good but not great. I'm sure I'm forgetting something... I think I need to check out Into Eternity (I keep hearing about it), also Fates Warning's latest, and Pain of Salvaition - Be. I'll get back to ya when I hear those albums ;) Oh wait I didn't hear Therion's new album either! OK, I'll have my '04 list by June or so :D

In no order,

Dragonforce - Sonic Firestorm
Angra - Temple Of Shadows
3 inches Of Blood - Advance and Vanquish
Eintersun - Wintersun
NW - Once

all i can think of, off the top of my head

My top twelve (sorry, couldn't make 15) in alphabetical order.

angra - temple of shadows
dragonforce - sonic firestorm
dreamscape - end of silence
edguy - hellfire club
evergrey - the inner circle
pinnella, michael - enter by the twelfth gate
stormwarrior - northern rage
stump, joe - speed metal messiah
threshold - subsurface
thunderstone - the burning
time requiem - the inner circle of reality
wuthering heights - far from the madding crowd

karelrulez said:
man, are you serious? have you heard 'stand my ground'? that's their single now here in Holland (they're Dutch), when we heard it everyone thought it was Evanescence latest hit.

Yeah, I know what you mean. We had a bit of a debate about it on Lacuna Coil forum, in fact I was one of the pple saying they sounded like Ev. ;) The album version of the song sounds a bit better, and let's just say this is not the best song on the album. Overall I think it's a great album. Besides I have a a soft spot for female fronted bands... :p

Actually I'm going to have to add Orphaned Land's Mabool as well. It's like nothing I've ever heard before and it's absolutely brilliant. I dislike death vocals in almost all contexts, but this is one album where I find they have been done tastefully and don't detract from the music. The middle eastern sounds interwoven with metal sound well... really cool, and they manage to pull off the really heavy stuff along with the more mellow clean tracks seamlessly. Excellent work.

How did it take people THAT long for Threshold's Subsurface to get mentioned? :(
The original poster said there was a lack of good metal. . .THRESHOLD!!

Soul of Ice said:
Well, my top 15 that is anyway.

Possibly due to the lack of good metal.
I would find it difficult to select only 15 really good discs that came out this year!

You should shop at Laser Edge since he always find some great releases....

Here are some bands that put out discs that weren't mentioned.

Disillusion
7 for 4
MCM
Karcius
Anti Depressive Delivery
Mindflow
Jag Panzer
Death Angel

Liquid Tension said:
I would find it difficult to select only 15 really good discs that came out this year!

You should shop at Laser Edge since he always find some great releases....
I do look at LaserCD often, but find that sooo many bands sound so similar.

I agree that there are many bands sound the same but I've found many more then 15 that don't so my original statement still stands.

Of the ones that I posted how many sound the same to you beside Jag Panzer?

Liquid Tension said:
I agree that there are many bands sound the same but I've found many more then 15 that don't so my original statement still stands.

Of the ones that I posted how many sound the same to you beside Jag Panzer?
I didn't say that the bands you listed sounded the same. I have heard them all, and don't care for them. That is simply my taste.

But I will stick to my statement that many many bands this year made the same kind of sounding album this year. Luckily the free mp3's I have found on the net prevented me from making a bad decision and wasting money.

I have a feeling that 2005 will be a good year for metal, originality wise.

Djm said:
How did it take people THAT long for Threshold's Subsurface to get mentioned? :(
The original poster said there was a lack of good metal. . .THRESHOLD!!

I was waiting for someone else to mention it first but when no one did I took the initiative and said it myself :)