Comments of 7 (some old, some new) Albums I Recently Aquired

Soul of Ice

Rusted Angel
Jul 29, 2002
Yonkers
Visit site
The albums: Anthrax "We've Come For You All", Twilight "Eye For An Eye", Savatage "The Wake of Magellan" and "Dead Winter Dead", For My Pain "Fallen", Tunnelvision "Tommorow" and Circle II Circle "Watching in Silence"

1) I will get to Tunnelvision first:

I bought this blindly because i heard good things about the cd, and I had heard some songs from the previous release and they were decent. This was said to be waayyy better. So I got it. I put it in the cd player and it is really rocking, until the singing. Well, I look past the singing and like the first 4 songs. But after that it becomes unbarable, the lyrics and singing are bad and the songs just drag on sounding samey. I could really see some people liking this album. I really love the music but the singing turns it off. I would say if you like Pagan's Mind's singer you might like this. The music is a great infusion of prog and power with some really interesting parts, but its not for me.

verdict: For trade. Anyone want it? contact me anton54321@hotmail.com

2) Anthrax "We've Come For You All"

Well what could I say. I have known about the band forever, but never really listened. I had recently checked my radio stations file cabinet of new music and saw this in there, and thought why not try now? I burn the cd and listen to it back at the dorm. To put it simply, it OWNED. Melodic thrash with amazing vocals, drums, and guitars. The riffs are interesting and heavy, have a cool groove and great solos. The drums - crazy is a good word. Fast, hot beats, off time, and DRUM SOLOS. The singing - John Bush has a great melodic voice with an agressive edge. The melody lines are cool too. The songs are catchy and interesting with outstanding lyrics. Sing along and dont be ashamed! I have to look into their older albums.

Verdict - absolutely a must buy, my favorite of 2003! www.theendrecords.com

3) Twilight "Eye For An Eye"

Does anyone like 80s metal? Not hair or glam metal but good 80s metal, specifically megadeth (musically). This is the predecessor to Beyond Twilight. Jorn does not sing on it, but the singing is still great, reminding me of i dont know quite who, but believe me its good. The music is not as slow as Beyond Twilight, but still has a dark sound to it. The guitars are much more prominant and strikingly similar to Megadeth type riffs (at least to me). All the songs are strong, but the title track and come night come evil are by far the standouts.

verdict: excellent disc find it at www.lasercd.com

4&5) Savatage: Great great band. Symphonic rock opera metal. Zakk Stevens is a great singer who was on Edge of Thorns through The Wake of Magellan who left the band to spend more time with his family, but he recently formed a band called Circle II Circle. More on that later.

Dead Winter Dead - great piano driven album that has some of their best writing on it. It does not lack in the guitars - great solos abound all over the place, never being tasteless and always fitting into the songs. The special edition disc has two bonus songs worth the price of the CD alone. Every song on the album is excellent and can be listened start to finish leaving you with a feeling of satisfaction.

The Wake of Magellan - Could be a musical on broadway. The imagry is astounding and conveys a positive message of hope. Again the music is amazing, but this album is more guitar oriented. Again the special edition disc has 2 bonus songs on it that are simply amazing. I may even like this one more than dead winter dead, but that may change tommorow.

verdict: Must owns. Why are you sitting there? Go order them online...while you sit there. www.theendrecords.com

6) For My Pain "Fallen"

I dont know too much about the band but I heard some samples and ordered from what I heard. The style is doomy metal. If you like Entwine, you would like For My Pain. Cool stuff. Especially when there is a duet between the singer and some female who sings really well. Im a sucker for duets and this hits the spot. Most of the songs are strong, but start sounding a bit samey after a while.

Verdict: decent release. Worth getting if you like the style, and good to listen to once in a while.

7) Circle II Circle "Watching in Silence"

What drew me in? Zakk Stevens voice. What kept me listening? Zakk Stevens voice and some well written lyrics. The songs are memorable with cool melodies and sing along lyrics. The music is average or a little above average. The band definitely sounds like Savatage Jr. as John Oliva helped Zakk with co-writing the lyrics. Definite Savatage-isms in the music and layering of vocals. The production is decent, but not superb. This definitely should have been released as a Savatage CD.

Verdict: It is a very good disc, but could have been better. A very worthwhile buy.

[color=#AOEOOA]Late Anthrax (John) is great Hard Rock early Anthrax (Joey) is great thrash, you must pick up Volume 8, Sound for White Noise, Persistance of Time and Among the Living at least.[/color]

man... i hate savatage. They have great musical ability, and i have only heard dead winter dead and i like some songs, so hate may be a strong word, but their vocalist was just... bad... and the songs cheesy and weak. My oppinion. I just got 2 cds that i might as well comment on.

Emperor - Scattered Ashes: A Decade of Emperial Wrath
Good stuff!!! Though i hate best of compilations because the sound quality is just too different and it doesn't flow well, but i must admit... this is good stuff... not a typical symX fan's music.

Verdict - will see my cd player often until i can get my hands on some actual emperor cds

Impaled Nazarene - Nihil
Only bought this because Alexy from Children of Bodom plays on it. And his leads are really all that kept me listening, though it's good black metal. Just nothing special.

Verdict - Keeper, but not worth buying... glad i got it used.

I got Circle 2 Circle too, and I love about 4 of the songs. But I hate ballads, I think one is too many. So when the last 5 out of 6 songs are full blown ballads, I'm probably not going to like it. This cd was a huge disappointment for me.

I never really got it with savantage.
It was simpler heavy metal. They try to be all dramatic and creative butits very unoriginal music. The vocalist sucks aswell. IMO.