Recently Bought Albums

Just got Steven Wilson's 'Grace for Drowning'. I loves me some Porcupine Tree, so thought if check out his solo stuff. It's the proggiest thing I've heard for ages. Great stuff. Only listened to it once, but can tell its gonna be a real grower.

_Gentleman of_the Snow_ said:
Ahhh, Steven Wilson; one of the greatest to ever touch the art of music.

Agreed. All his stuff I've heard tends to just wash over me on first listen, then a few plays later it turns out to be incredible. Looking forward to getting into this album. Didn't realise it was a double CD either.

^--- Have you got Storm Corrosion yet? If not, get it. Such an awesome, awesome thing it is.

Sauna said:
^--- Have you got Storm Corrosion yet? If not, get it. Such an awesome, awesome thing it is.

Not heard any of it yet. Might have to check it out. I'm currently preferring Grace for Drowning to The Incident.

The Incident could possibly be my favourite song of all time. Brilliant.

Steven Wilson has been involved in so many projects that are pure gold, it's ridiculous:

All of Porcupine Tree
All of No-Man
Some Opeth Albums
His Solo Projects
Anathema's We're Here... (one of my favourites)

I haven't heard BlackField yet, but I'm sure they're decent, and I haven't heard Storm Corrosion either, which is probably awesome.

I have actually been really getting into Epica as of late since I picked up their new album. They are a band I have known about forever now; however, always kind of wrote off thinking they were just another female lead symphonic power metal band from Europe. I actually picked up the new album when it came out because it was only $10 and I had actually not long before it came out gotten into Mayan, which is the side band of Epica's Mark Jansen. Those two factors lead me to buy the new Epica and it actually brought me to realize that Epica really is more unique from other bands than I had always though and I really dug them. About a week later I picked up their previous two albums as well (Design Your Universe is a masterpiece btw).

I am also really surprised at how varied Simone Simmons voice actually is as I always figured she would be like many other female metal band vocalists and not have much variation. I used to hate hearing her fanboys rave about her and how hot she is and all that; however, even though I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy I think she is a very talented vocalist....and admittedly a bit sexy too! :p

^---I also wrote that band off a long time ago. Then I read your post, gave them a new chance and wrote them off again. I can't really justify it to myself, though, since I like a lot of Kamelot's stuff.

If they truly are something else than a run-of-the-mill symphonic goth band, I would appreciate it if you could devise a way for me to see that like you did.

I really don't know what to tell you to do other than actually sit down and listen through a whole album (the new one or Design Your Universe prefferably); however, I don't know if you saying you gave them a chance meant you already did this or just listened to a random track off of youtube.

I listen to Kamelot too and found their last couple albums to be a slow decline in quality. Just thought I would point that out. I just happen to find Epica's symphonic elements done in a more unique way than other bands I have heard use them; also, even though I have nothing against power metal and even listen to a quite a bit of it myself, I find that their guitar style is a more straight forward metal that even lightly touches on a bit of death/thrash elements on occasion. I haven't really heard anything from their first couple albums so maybe they were pure power metal before I don't know. I know that some tracks off of The Divine Conspiracy tinge a bit toward power metal so maybe the albums before it had a lot of it? Also, I really don't see where the "goth" element in their music is because to me it really isn't there.

More than likely it probably just comes down to the reality of people having different tastes.

The Incident could possibly be my favourite song of all time. Brilliant.

Steven Wilson has been involved in so many projects that are pure gold, it's ridiculous:

All of Porcupine Tree
All of No-Man
Some Opeth Albums
His Solo Projects
Anathema's We're Here... (one of my favourites)

I haven't heard BlackField yet, but I'm sure they're decent, and I haven't heard Storm Corrosion either, which is probably awesome.
I'm glad he isn't on the new Anathema, or it wouldn't be as fucking good as it is. We're Here Because We're Here is their weakest of recent efforts.
^---I also wrote that band off a long time ago. Then I read your post, gave them a new chance and wrote them off again. I can't really justify it to myself, though, since I like a lot of Kamelot's stuff.

If they truly are something else than a run-of-the-mill symphonic goth band, I would appreciate it if you could devise a way for me to see that like you did.
Uh... agreed. Epica is worse than Kamelot, and that's saying something. For some reason they love collaborating though.

I'm glad he isn't on the new Anathema, or it wouldn't be as fucking good as it is. We're Here Because We're Here is their weakest of recent efforts.

Outside of the first 2 tracks on Weather Systems, I find We're Here to be the superior album.
Both are very similar, IMO, though.

I find Porcupine Tree and No-Man to be some of the best music out there. Wilson's ability to create different soundscapes is astonishing.

When you sit there and REALLY listen with a quality pair of headphones (and I'm sure you do, so this isn't really aimed toward you), it's simply beautiful.
I notice new sounds and textures each time I listen.

Oh, believe me, I agree with all of that, (except the Anathema bit). The problem, if there is one, with SW being on other people's albums is how much those albums sound like SW. I love his stuff, but I also love other people's stuff to sound like them.

Oh, believe me, I agree with all of that, (except the Anathema bit). The problem, if there is one, with SW being on other people's albums is how much those albums sound like SW. I love his stuff, but I also love other people's stuff to sound like them.

I don't know if I fully agree that the music starts to sound like SW, but I definitely understand your point.

^--- I think I like We're Here Because We're Here more than Weather Systems as well, though Untouchable and The Beginning and the End are damn good songs.

Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Natty Dread
Candlemass - Psalms for the Dead
Gojira - L'enfant Sauvage
Ocean Machine - Biomech
OSI - Blood
The Prodigy - Fat of the Land
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
The Verve - Verve

Damn good stuff, some of it long overdue.

Bumpin'.

Van der Graaf Generator - Trisector

Solid album, love it.

Marillion - Sounds That Can't Be Made

Regret buying this one...sounds like a Coldplay album or something. Meh.

Vanden plas' "seraphic clockwork" and I can't stop listening it.About Anathema,I
saw them 2 months ago in my town ,very good gig but unfortunately they didn't
play anything from "Eternity" ,for me is their best work

The Seraphic Clockwork is great, I listened to it a lot some months ago. "On my way to Jerusalem" and "Scar of an Angel" are my personal favourites.