Thoughts on 3 albums I got today

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
The Gathering - "Souvenirs"

I had never liked The Gathering before... but was interested when I heard their new song "Broken Glass" and read about their recent musical developments. This is a beautiful trip-rock album featuring beautiful and natural female vocals and lush, trippy soundscapes. They have truly come a long way from their goth-metal days.

Isis - "Oceanic"

This album was a bit of a leap for me, but I had been reading great things about this album for a year now. I downloaded some songs, liked what I heard, and purchased the album. This isn't the type of thing I usually listen to, but I couldn't deny the entrancing wall of shimmering music contained on this album. There are harsh "hardcore/death" vocals, which I normally hate... but I don't mind them much here... they really don't show up that much. The music is rather repetative, but also hypnotizing. This is an insanely beautiful work of art.

Dysrythmia - "Pretest"

This is the new album by this insane instrumental tech-metal power trio. This is a very crazy album featuring wild instrumental mind-boggling as well as some really beautiful textures and atmosphere. This is one of the best instromental albums I have ever heard. If you are willing to take a wild music journey and leave everything you thought you knew about music behind... this is the album for you.

Demonspell said:
Where did you order the Dysrhythmia album from? That one is definitely going to be part of my next big haul (so is The Gathering for that matter). The material I've heard from it is manic beyond words.

Suprisingly... I didn't order any of these albums. I went to a local store called Mike's Music and found all 3 of these albums to my great suprise and delight. The Dysrythmia album was only 8.88.

I am REALLY impressed by this Gathering album. I LOVE it!

Demonspell said:
Where did you order the Dysrhythmia album from? That one is definitely going to be part of my next big haul (so is The Gathering for that matter). The material I've heard from it is manic beyond words.

You haven't visited http://www.lasercd.com/Merchant/lasercd/
lately? Shame on you!! :D

Compact disc world which has a bunch of locations in NJ are also stocking this disc along with the other two discussed.

Hey prog fanboy, could you tell me more about the new Gathering and Isis. Sounds like i may like them. I heard Gathering has lots of techno in it is that true?

Soul of Ice said:
Hey prog fanboy, could you tell me more about the new Gathering and Isis. Sounds like i may like them. I heard Gathering has lots of techno in it is that true?

The Gathering - "Souvenirs"

You can download the song "Broken Glass" from http://www.theendrecords.com Unfortunately, I think this is easily the worst song from the album (though I still like it).

I am no The Gathering expert, but I guess this new album is the next step in a musical evolution for the band... from their goth metal days to their current triprock sound. This is NOT techno. There is certainly an electronic presence throughout the album, but this is definately not techno. This is rock that features a lot of trip-hop elements, hence triprock. There are some similarities to something like Ulver's "Perdition City", but this is much more elaborate than that sparse record and is much more song-oriented (Ulver vocalist Garm does a duet in the last song). The one word that keeps popping up in my head when I listen to this album is: LUSH. This album is incredibly lush and warm. The music is very beautiful... and Anneke's vocals are enchanting. I am truly amazed by her powerful, natural voice. Her phrasing is spectacular. She has a wonderful range of expression and a subtle power in her voice. The vocal melodies are very memorable and unique. She is truly a great talent. There's a lot of dense keyboard textures, sparse piano, electronic touches, strange atmospheric guitar, slinky bass and funky drumming. The songs flat out rule... this album came out of nowhere for me... what a great suprise... this is definately one of my favorite albums of the year.

Isis - "Oceanic"

This is an appropriate title, as the music definately seems to evoke the qualities of the ocean. The music is often serene, but can also break into violent episodes of power. This is a largely instrumental effort with sparse harsh vocals, and some gentle female vocals during one song. This album is truly progressive, but there is a great amount of restraint. This album is all about slowly building soundscapes that ebb and flow, entrancing the listener. The music has a very organic feel to it. This is the soundtrack to the ocean, much like Devin Townsend's brilliant "Ocean Machine".

Demonspell,

I figure out awhile ago that you do some buying there that's why I stated "lately".
I would like to recomend both the Bone and Taal discs since they have been getting alot of play since I got them.

Happy shopping.....