Recently Bought Albums

Overall, I think the new Iced Earth is a great album, I really dig it. Stu does a great job on vocals, but I do kind of wish there was more of the high pitched singing. It seemed like there could have been more without it being too much, or considered overused, if that makes sense. I don't really care for the slower tracks on this album, but they don't ruin it. End of Innocence is my least favorite track. I really like the title track, and Dark City.

I think it's a pretty darn good album for a band's 10th studio album, and a breath of fresh air from the past 2-3 releases. The Glorious Burden was average to me. There were only a few good tracks aside from the Gettysburg thing. I thought Framing Armageddon was just completely terrible, and I just can't stand that album. I didn't mind part 2, and would consider it average as well.

The Circus Maximus video is pretty funny. I liked their first album, but never really cared for their second, so I guess I'll see how the new one will be!

I actually found the new Iced Earth to be rather average. I like the new vocalist better than Ripper (he'll never touch Barlow, though), but the songwriting sounds flat. It's just more of the same to my ears. If you've heard three Iced Earth songs, you've heard them all - the stereotypical ballad, the short and fast metal tune, and the epic tune. Speaking of epics, I was disappointed that this album contained none. I miss when they used to write songs like Travel in Stygian, Dante's Inferno, and Damien. I'm also sick of them writing about the same damn thing (that alien taking over earth) - we get it, already.

As far as the new album goes, I've only listened to it twice, but the only song that stuck out to me was the title track. It's a decent song.

I thought Glorious Burden was lame save for the Gettysburg tracks, and the most recent two concept albums were also subpar. I actually enjoyed the one with Ripper more than the one with Barlow - the songwriting just seemed better. The Clouding was an incredible track.

Actually the title track and last track are the only ones related to the Something Wicked story thing. They only fit on there due to them having a similar theme to the the dsytopian theme the rest of the album follows. Most of the other tracks are titled after actual dystopian/sci-fi movies, as the tracks on Horror Show were named after classic horror monsters. Its sort of Schaffer's way of bringing his Sons of Liberty themes of NWO/Illuminati over to Iced Earth.

I'm hesitant to pick up the new Redemption... I didn't really care for their 3rd album (the only one I own, and have heard). If this new one is as good as you guys are saying, I may check it out.

Which Redemption album do you own? Snowfall on Judgement Day? I forget what their third album is.

Anyway, I didn't like the new album too much. Only listened to it once, though. I loved Snowfall.

I still haven't listened to new Opeth and DT. I have the special editions sitting right in my room...

You have to listen to Heritage, stat! As for DT? When you get around to it...

Stu does a great job on vocals, but I do kind of wish there was more of the high pitched singing.

Yeah, the high-pitched stuff is kind of what they're known for, at least in my book. But Barlow did the low stuff really well, too. Ripper couldn't, though - ugh, seeing him do Dracula live was underwhelming.

I really like the title track, and Dark City.

Those are my favorites, too. The rest of the songs are really just average to me. Too many songs in the same plodding, anthemic style, I guess.

I liked their first album, but never really cared for their second, so I guess I'll see how the new one will be!

^ I like both of their albums, but always preferred the first.

I actually prefer Isolate to their first album. Not sure why, but I just feel that the songs flow better. The first album certainly has more diversity in the musical styles, though. The first three tracks in particular are excellent.

Actually the title track and last track are the only ones related to the Something Wicked story thing. They only fit on there due to them having a similar theme to the the dsytopian theme the rest of the album follows.

Ah, okay. That makes sense, I guess. I just figured it was tied to Something Wicked due to the cover art.

"You have to listen to Heritage, stat! As for DT? When you get around to it..."

:lol: Yes, Sir.

The Redemption album I have is called "The Origins of Ruin". It may not be their 3rd, but regardless, I find it to be average at best.

The Redemption album I have is called "The Origins of Ruin". It may not be their 3rd, but regardless, I find it to be average at best.
Aw, man. Yeah, that actually is their third but only their second with Ray Alder. That one's my personal favorite, but most people seem to like Snowfall better.

You may still enjoy the new album. It's definitely a lot darker in tone and also a bit more technical than anything they've done before. It's also heavier than Origins.

I would recommend Snowfall on Judgment Day. There's quite a few songs on there that are amazing (Black and White World is one of the best prog metal songs I've ever heard, period).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm... unfortuntely, my feelings about them are still the same. It's not bad by any means, but it's just not the prog metal style I love anymore.

I've been pimping the hell out of Leprous lately, but you should def check out their new album.

One of the short tracks... I hope you enjoy! This album is still my contender for album of the year at this point!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gkPbLL_lDI&feature=related[/ame]

Hmmm... unfortuntely, my feelings about them are still the same. It's not bad by any means, but it's just not the prog metal style I love anymore.

I've been pimping the hell out of Leprous lately, but you should def check out their new album.

One of the short tracks... I hope you enjoy! This album is still my contender for album of the year at this point!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gkPbLL_lDI&feature=related

I really wanted to get this album; however, even though its an Inside Out release in the US my local FYE doesn't have it in store, which is strange considering that they always at least get one or two copies of all IO releases. I try not to order stuff online too much anymore either because I tend to go overboard with it if you know what I mean... :p

I hear a lot about this newest Leprous release and the previous one "tall poppy seeds" or whatever its called; however, I really like the sound they had on their first one called "Aeolia" or something like that. There is just something about the sound on that one that I love.

Last edited by a moderator:
Continuo Renacer - The Great Escape
19A.D.D. - Gaia
RC2 - Future Awaits
Invisigoth - Alcoholocaust
Chinese Firedrill, A - Circles
Animals As Leaders - Weightless
Eloy - Floating

Frank Zappa - Jazz from Hell
The Trey Gunn Band - The Joy of Molybdenum
Jimmy Smith - At the Organ, Volume 3
MCM - 1900 - Hard Times