Recently Bought Albums

SymphonyXV

Mar 9, 2010
Albany, NY
What new albums have you bought/downloaded and how were they? They don't have to be new as in release date, but new as in you just bought it recently. I'll start.

Ice Age- The Great Divide (1999):
I was absolutely blown away by the first song, "Perpetual Child", but the rest of the album sounds the same to me. I kept looking at the track number as if I were just waiting for the CD to end. I read rave reviews from all over the web and was pretty dissapointed. I hope eventually this album will just grow on me.

Cairo- Conflict and Dreams (1998):
Despite what many prog reviewers say, Cairo definitely have their own unique sound. The melodies on this album weren't as catchy as on the first album, but this is still a worthy successor. The vocals sound angry, which is strange with how calm the vocals were on the debut album. Overall, this album will not dissapoint any fans of the debut album.

Suspyre- A Great Divide (2007)
This album is very ambitious. There are only two songs but both are well over 30 minutes long. I liked the idea, but this album isn't really anything new to the prog metal genre by any means. If you are new to prog metal, you will be blown away by this album. If you have heard Dream Theater enough, this album will bore you to tears. There is nothing wrong with this album at all, but that seems to be the biggest problem. It's so good, it just sounds bland.

Rhapsody of Fire- Triumph or Agony (2006)
I generally liked this band before I heard this album, but not as much as I did after hearing it all the way through. This is the only time I have ever heard a metal band really work with an orchestra and choir. It was extremely bombastic and over the top, but just enough so it didn't come off as too cheesy. I had a pretty hard time following the storyline (mainly because I haven't heard all the other albums), but the music was just about perfect. There seemed to be a few too many ballads in the middle, but the album ends on such an epic level that I had to make sure I didn't die and go to heaven every few minutes. Overall, this is the best album I've heard in a very long time and was such a fresh breath of air compared to the typical run of the mill "prog metal" bands I've been hearing lately.

(I didn't buy this album, but I received it as a gift):

Eternity X- The Edge (1997)
I heard this album was a rare gem, so I was very excited to hear it. The melodies on the album are very catchy. This is a concept album, but I didn't really understand the storyline at all. The first 2 songs sounded like the message was to escape to your mind's eye, but then the third song was about killing a priest, and a good portion of the rest of the album sounded like sad love songs. Regardless of plot, this album sounds very original. Even though this was released in the 90's, it sounds like it could have been recorded in the 80's. The "Confession" song sounded very much like something that would come from Operation Mindcrime. My only complaint is the "opera" vocal on "The Edge Part 2", which sound like what someone would do who was making fun of opera singers. It's impossible for me to listen to that part without laughing. Anyway, it's a great album from start to finish and I highly recommend it.

Not really. This thread is specifically focused on music albums. Not new TV's, lawn chairs or mustard bottles. This thread also is to get you to make a detailed review about the album you bought.

A few prog essentials I've never gotten a physical copy of my own of for some reason. Trick of the Tail, Wind and Wuthering, Moonmadness, and Script for a Jester's Tear. I'm guessing no one wants to hear an umpteenth review of any of those? :D

Based on your description, I'm going to listen to that Ice Age album.

Protest the Hero's latest album "Scurrilous" has been blowing my mind daily for some time now. Symphony X is one of my favorite bands but I think PTH has secured my "album of the year" slot, unless SX REALLY delivers a masterpiece with Iconoclast.

I generally liked this band before I heard this album, but not as much as I did after hearing it all the way through. This is the only time I have ever heard a metal band really work with an orchestra and choir.

Eternity X- The Edge (1997)
My only complaint is the "opera" vocal on "The Edge Part 2", which sound like what someone would do who was making fun of opera singers. It's impossible for me to listen to that part without laughing. Anyway, it's a great album from start to finish and I highly recommend it.

You should check out Therion for a better metal band using an orchestra and choir. Theli is my favorite of theirs.

I hate that part in the Eternity X disc.

Sanhedrin's disc Ever After has been a good pick up this year.

Beardfish's Mammoth disc is great and best of the year so far.

You should check out Therion for a better metal band using an orchestra and choir. Theli is my favorite of theirs.

I hate that part in the Eternity X disc.

Sanhedrin's disc Ever After has been a good pick up this year.

Beardfish's Mammoth disc is great and best of the year so far.

A few years ago, I really liked the song To Mega Therion and downloaded the album and I remember none of the rest of the songs sounded anything like it so I forgot about it till now. I'll try it out again.

Just got the new Winds of Plague album "Against the World" and it is very heavy, I'm loving it!!!

Opeth - Still Life
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - Ghost Reveries

I know many of you are Opeth fans so there's no need for a review. If you aren't a fan, you should be. I saw these albums listed many times on the "Top 25 Albums Thread" so I gave them a listen.
Opeth are OUTSTANDING!!! I haven't had this feeling about a band since, well, Symphony X. One of the most apt descriptions that I can think of is hauntingly beautiful. Complex, intelligent songwriting. I bought these 3 a few days after hearing them. I couldn't wait. They were all I could think about. The rest of Opeth's catalog are next on my list. For me these are must haves. Are they as good in concert?

:kickass:

Ice Age- The Great Divide (1999):

Cairo- Conflict and Dreams (1998):

Ice Age are now on my list to purchase. They sound great. Thank you.

I've had Conflict And Dreams for about 5 years and I still listen to at least every other week. I like every track on the CD, but Angels And Rage, Corridors, and Then You Were Gone are my favorites!
Is their first CD as good?

I got Triumph Or Agony when it came out and I really like it. I also have Dawn Of Victory (2000),
Power Of The Dragonflame (2002), and Symphony Of Enchanted Lands Pt. 2 (2004) from when they
were just Rhapsody. They had to change their name due to a lawsuit. All of their music is good. I think they have at least 10 CDs.

Protest the Hero's latest album "Scurrilous" has been blowing my mind daily for some time now. Symphony X is one of my favorite bands but I think PTH has secured my "album of the year" slot, unless SX REALLY delivers a masterpiece with Iconoclast.

Protest The Hero are also now on my list. They too sound great. Thank you.

I like this thread because I'm discovering some excellent bands that are new to me even if they are
not so new! Please keep them coming.

:worship:

Protest The Hero are also now on my list. They too sound great. Thank you.

I like this thread because I'm discovering some excellent bands that are new to me even if they are
not so new! Please keep them coming.

PTH is absolutely amazing, definitely in my top 10 favorite bands. All their albums are must haves. The newest one is entirely melodic singing, while their other 2 masterpieces (Kezia and Fortress) have singing mixed with growlier vocals. I honestly don't like growl vocals at all but they're so amazing that it doesn't even matter.

Opeth - Still Life
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - Ghost Reveries

I know many of you are Opeth fans so there's no need for a review. If you aren't a fan, you should be. I saw these albums listed many times on the "Top 25 Albums Thread" so I gave them a listen.
Opeth are OUTSTANDING!!! I haven't had this feeling about a band since, well, Symphony X. One of the most apt descriptions that I can think of is hauntingly beautiful. Complex, intelligent songwriting. I bought these 3 a few days after hearing them. I couldn't wait. They were all I could think about. The rest of Opeth's catalog are next on my list. For me these are must haves. Are they as good in concert?

Ice Age are now on my list to purchase. They sound great. Thank you.

I've had Conflict And Dreams for about 5 years and I still listen to at least every other week. I like every track on the CD, but Angels And Rage, Corridors, and Then You Were Gone are my favorites!
Is their first CD as good?

I got Triumph Or Agony when it came out and I really like it. I also have Dawn Of Victory (2000),
Power Of The Dragonflame (2002), and Symphony Of Enchanted Lands Pt. 2 (2004) from when they
were just Rhapsody. They had to change their name due to a lawsuit. All of their music is good. I think they have at least 10 CDs.

I never really liked Opeth. I bought their first 3 albums 2 years ago in that deluxe 3 CD edition because I got a great deal on it. To me, it mostly sounded like "Tremelo picked guitar riff/ growls/ acoustic guitar bit/ more tremelo picked guitar riff/ growls/ guitar solos/ bass solo/more tremelo guitar riff/ end.

They have 3 live concert DVD's. I've watched all 3 and they sound way better live than in studio but I still didn't care much for the songs. I've tried for years to become a fan of theirs and I just can't do it.

Cairo's first CD is very good, especially the last track. This album sounds more like Styx and Yes than the second album, though. The last song is almost an ELP rip off. I don't mind it because Tarkus didn't have very good sound quality because of the technology of the time, so I like to think of this as the cleaned up, modern version.

I am slowly getting the entire Rhapsody (of Fire) studio albums. I have about half of them on vinyl. Legendary Tales and Power of the Dragonflame are either extremely rare or cost way too much. I got Dawn of Victory on vinyl for just 6 bucks, while Power of the Dragonflame is like 70 bucks. Their final album is coming out in June :( .

Just got the new Winds of Plague album "Against the World" and it is very heavy, I'm loving it!!!

Would you say its more like the first or second album? I liked the first one pretty well but absolutely hated the second as it just had too much of a hardcore sound for my tastes.

I never really liked Opeth. I bought their first 3 albums 2 years ago in that deluxe 3 CD edition because I got a great deal on it. To me, it mostly sounded like "Tremelo picked guitar riff/ growls/ acoustic guitar bit/ more tremelo picked guitar riff/ growls/ guitar solos/ bass solo/more tremelo guitar riff/ end.

They have 3 live concert DVD's. I've watched all 3 and they sound way better live than in studio but I still didn't care much for the songs. I've tried for years to become a fan of theirs and I just can't do it.

Cairo's first CD is very good, especially the last track. This album sounds more like Styx and Yes than the second album, though. The last song is almost an ELP rip off. I don't mind it because Tarkus didn't have very good sound quality because of the technology of the time, so I like to think of this as the cleaned up, modern version.

I am slowly getting the entire Rhapsody (of Fire) studio albums. I have about half of them on vinyl. Legendary Tales and Power of the Dragonflame are either extremely rare or cost way too much. I got Dawn of Victory on vinyl for just 6 bucks, while Power of the Dragonflame is like 70 bucks. Their final album is coming out in June :( .

PotD is worth it though as it is prob their best to date.

Rhapsody has an album selling for 70 bucks? I would have thought a band of their popularity would have their CDs everywhere. Vinyl be damned, there's a used CD on Amazon for $5.50. :D

Just listened to a couple tracks off of Protest the Heros' new album - sounds okay, but not appealing to me. Their approach to songwriting reminds me of the Mars Volta - I like my prog to take its time.

Rhapsody has an album selling for 70 bucks? I would have thought a band of their popularity would have their CDs everywhere. Vinyl be damned, there's a used CD on Amazon for $5.50. :D

Just listened to a couple tracks off of Protest the Heros' new album - sounds okay, but not appealing to me. Their approach to songwriting reminds me of the Mars Volta - I like my prog to take its time.

Rhapsody's CD's are dirt cheap. On ebay, the standard price for their albums are 99 cents. Even their other albums on vinyl are reasonable (like I said, I got a picture disc album for just 6 bucks in an auction). However, for whatever reason, Legendary Tales and Power of the Dragonflame are very rare and expensive on vinyl. I can't believe how popular they are. I have never met in my life a single person who has heard of them. They appear to have a huge following in Canada.

I feel the same about the new PTH album. When I was in middle school I thought TMV were cutting edge and great but I just got done listening to Frances the Mute for the first time in a few years and I wasn't too impressed. Just because most of it was made on the spot doesn't mean it's good.

First 3 Opeth albums? Well, that's your problem right there.

Still Life (4th) and on is where it's at.

Opeth was also a band that gave me this amazing feeling of excitement when I first heard them... like SX, back in 2003.

Protest the Hero are a bunch of kids that I went to highschool with. I'm proud of them!

Even though I own the digital copies of these 2 albums, I went out today and got.....

Turisas - Stand Up and Fight!
Korpiklaani - Ukon Wacka

A bunch of these kinda albums were on and end-rack near the back of the store at sale prices, so I couldn't resist