Recently Bought Albums

Opeth - Still Life
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - Ghost Reveries

I know many of you are Opeth fans so there's no need for a review. If you aren't a fan, you should be. I saw these albums listed many times on the "Top 25 Albums Thread" so I gave them a listen.
Opeth are OUTSTANDING!!! I haven't had this feeling about a band since, well, Symphony X. One of the most apt descriptions that I can think of is hauntingly beautiful. Complex, intelligent songwriting. I bought these 3 a few days after hearing them. I couldn't wait. They were all I could think about. The rest of Opeth's catalog are next on my list. For me these are must haves. Are they as good in concert?

Opeth are indeed amazing. I recommend Damnation as your next purchase from them; the album is (as you say) haunting and beautiful. No growling on that one, though.

Opeth sounds great live, particularly the quick snaps from light to heavy. However, they're not the most exciting band to actually watch - the only one with any stage presence whatsoever is Martin Mendez [bass player]. Still, they are definitely worth checking out live. They have some DVD's out - I recommend Roundhouse Tapes.

I'm a big Opeth fan too, although I honestly really didn't enjoy seeing them live. Granted I saw a short set on the Progressive Nation tour...but still. My favorite album is probably their latest, Watershed. I really love Ghost Reveries and Damnation though. Windowpane is a phenomenal track.

Anyone here like Rishloo? Which album should I start with? I've heard a couple songs by them... and so far I've liked every one!!!

Anyone here like Rishloo? Which album should I start with? I've heard a couple songs by them... and so far I've liked every one!!!

You mean Tool 2.0? jk. I've only heard eidolon and it has it's ups and downs. I feel finding an album with consistent melodies and low to none filler is pretty much impossible these days :( . How do so many bands listen to their half assed album and say "yeah it's good enough to release". :erk:

I have to get my hands on this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89CpJ5ANtEM&NR=1[/ame]

The lukewarm reaction to this album amazes me. This is spectacular. That instrumental section is so tight, and the melodies...they just melt in your ear. I think this may be the best post-2000 prog album I've ever heard!

I've recently been playing Juvaliant's 'Inhuman Nature' none stop. On the first listen I heard them as a pretty standard modern symphonic prog/power metal band, but they've done nothing but grow on me.
It goes from the heavier 'Doomsday machine' to the more proggy 'Live to Die'. Plus the longish album closer is catchy as hell! I highly recommend this album!

Also, he doesn't play metal but Owain Phyfe plays some really nice Renaissance music which some here might find interesting. I bought 'Sweet was the song', but he has songs from another album played live on youtube which are some of his best. Check out 'a health to the company'. He's basically a modern bard :D

Well maybe it's just that album. I've been listening to Feathergun (their latest album) and it is VERY solid man. And it ACTUALLY can be distinguished from Tool (really unlike their older stuff as I'm now realizing). Check out this song: (I sense some Floyd!!!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was so unimpressed with the new Pendragon I almost sighed myself into a coma. :(

I totally agree with you. They improved their sound adding some elements of
growl,hard rock,prog metal without disappointing old fans and keeping their personal sense of melody. I saw them last year,really great ,it was a pleasure
to me speaking with Nick and Clive nolan (the best keyboard player of the last
20 years),and I say that along with Magic Pie's "Suffering joy" ,"Passion " is
the best album of the year

I down loaded the Amboy Dukes album Marriage on the Rocks. I gave the my album out to someone to put on a disc but that never happened so I haven't heard this since the late 80s! This was cutting edge stuff done 40 years ago and still sounds exellent...

^That's cause it's Ted Nugent. Still going strong today. Do you have Journey to the Center of the Mind?

:headbang:

Yes plus I have some of the Dukes greatest hits discs but there is still a live one that I only have on vinyl which I always remembered loving and can't find it on disc or down load.

the last Phideaux,"Snowtorch" is very very very progressive, another good album in this year after pendragon's "passion"

I was so unimpressed with the new Pendragon I almost sighed myself into a coma. :(

I completely take this back - it's grown on me. The vocal harmonies are pretty interesting, and even if all of their new elements are derivative, together they make something reasonably unique. It's actually pretty good.

I have IQ's "Frequency". I don't listen to it often, but it's enjoyable. I prefer the drummer's other project:

Frost* - "Milliontown" specifically... :D :D :D Top 5 for me!

Checked this out, and you're right, it's pretty great. I still like Frequency more, but I like the idea of a pop vocal style in a prog band. All in all it works really well.

I' m so anxious for the new Pagan's mind (heavenly ecstasy),heard a track on
youtube and I think all Sx fans will like it.