1. Neurotically Wired
2. Midnight Serenade
3. Stained Glass Sky
4. On the Fence
5. Any Given Day (Strangers Like Me)
6. Incense and Myrrh

293.jpg

Quote from the blabbermouth article from John Arch:

When I first heard some of the arrangements Jim had written and recorded, it took quite some time before I could wrap my mind around the odd time signatures and guitar work going on here

Wow, Phanto thanks for Omnium Gatherum and Caligula's Horse. Two more fantastic bands added to my library :headbang:

Just listened to the new Yes album for the first time and I am blown away. Production is excellent (as usual) giving you breathe-taking harmonies, crunchy bass lines, and wonderful arrangements. The new singer (Benoitt David) is very good and Geoff Downs (who played in the Buggles and the former DRAMA album) adds some very sweet keyboard parts. For all my Sym X buddies who are looking for something a little more "cerebral" than Sym X, you should check it out !

Just listened to the new Yes album for the first time and I am blown away. Production is excellent (as usual) giving you breathe-taking harmonies, crunchy bass lines, and wonderful arrangements. The new singer (Benoitt David) is very good and Geoff Downs (who played in the Buggles and the former DRAMA album) adds some very sweet keyboard parts. For all my Sym X buddies who are looking for something a little more "cerebral" than Sym X, you should check it out !

I'm pretty interested in the new album. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the quick review.

I have mixed feelings on the new Yes. On one hand, I generally prefer when prog bands get older and calm down - this is probably the album that best shows the band as "mature" songwriters in that one specific respect while still being legitimately "prog." On the other hand, does that maturity carry over to the strength of the ideas in the songwriting? It seems like sometimes yes and sometimes no...a lot of the prog elements sound awkward or cartoonish (i.e. Bumpy Ride) with the time signature changes being contrived and obvious.

Still, there's a lot to be said for the fact that Chris Squire no longer feels that he has to constantly run up and down the fretboard to have any sort of presence on the album - IMO his bass playing has grown in depth as it has become more restrained.

I know some people complained about the production too but I don't mind as much - I don't know much about production in general but this seems like the kind of modern supergloss I can actually stomach (whereas the kind SX has I can't).

Iconoclast, from Symphony X, was amazing - A+
The Lay of Thrym, from Tyr, was also quite good - A
Elyzium, from Stratovarius, was amazing - A+
I checked out Legion of the Damned's Descent into Chaos, and I'd give it a B
I want to check out Aurora Borealis' new album
Jag Panzer's The Scourge of the Light I gave a B
I need to check out Avantasia's latest album
Also want to check out One from Tesseract
Leave's Eyes' Meredead was great, I gave it an A-
Alestorm's Back through Time was great, I'd say it gets an A or A-
Im anxiously awaiting new albums from Megadeth, Dream Theater, and Morbid Angel as well as a few others.

Have to hear Avantasia, Megadeth and Dream Theater's offerings this year, and give Elyzium, The Lay of Thrym, and Meredead more time to grow on me, but right now, I'd say the best album of the year has been Symphony X's Iconoclast.