2011 albums

I probably only heard 10 new albums this year, so to be more discriminating, here's a top 5:

1. Symphony X - Iconoclast. Absolutely brilliant album, personally I believe its the best they've done since Divine Wings.
2. Decapitated - Carnival is Forever. Another brilliant album, and a great return for these guys. I rarely find examples of death metal that I feel exhibit a true work of art, and this is one of them.
3. Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising. The ACDC of death metal, and I totally love them for it. Lots of fun.
4. Obscura - Omnivium. The most talented progressive death metal band out there right now IMO. I was really happy to see them go in a more prog direction from Cosmogenesis. Their guitarist, Christian Muenzner, also released a killer instrumental album this year as well.
5. Vader - Welcome to the Morbid Reich. These guys never fail to disappoint me. Like Amon Amarth, you pretty much know what you're getting, but its so well executed that it doesn't matter.

Honorable mentions:
1. Opeth - Heritage. I dig the oldschool progrock direction they're going in, I just think it could have been better realized.
2. Abysmal Dawn - Leveling the Plane of Existence. Really impressive young death metal band. Nothing groundbreaking, but a solid release.
3. Deicide - To Hell With God. Another solid death metal release with some killer solos from Ralph Santolla and Jack Owens.

Albums I only heard a song or two from, but I thought were cool:
1. Mastodon - The Hunter
2. Iced Earth - Dystopia
3. Absu - Abzu
4. Revocation - Chaos of Forms
5. The Black Dahlia Murder - Ritual

You've gotta be kidding about IC, IE, and Mastodon. :lol:

Iconoclast and The Hunter are really good. Dystopia seems like it might be good based on the title track. I disapprove of your opinions and the condescending way in which you voice them. >8(

I got Last Rites by Pentagram a few days ago. It was underwhelming at first but it's turning out to have a lot of the same magical vibe that made their classic albums some of the best in the history of traditional metal. It doesn't bring the riffs like Relentless/Day of Reckoning/Be Forewarned but it's cool stuff nevertheless.

I probably only heard 10 new albums this year, so to be more discriminating, here's a top 5:

1. Symphony X - Iconoclast. Absolutely brilliant album, personally I believe its the best they've done since Divine Wings.
2. Decapitated - Carnival is Forever. Another brilliant album, and a great return for these guys. I rarely find examples of death metal that I feel exhibit a true work of art, and this is one of them.
3. Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising. The ACDC of death metal, and I totally love them for it. Lots of fun.
4. Obscura - Omnivium. The most talented progressive death metal band out there right now IMO. I was really happy to see them go in a more prog direction from Cosmogenesis. Their guitarist, Christian Muenzner, also released a killer instrumental album this year as well.
5. Vader - Welcome to the Morbid Reich. These guys never fail to disappoint me. Like Amon Amarth, you pretty much know what you're getting, but its so well executed that it doesn't matter.

Honorable mentions:
1. Opeth - Heritage. I dig the oldschool progrock direction they're going in, I just think it could have been better realized.
2. Abysmal Dawn - Leveling the Plane of Existence. Really impressive young death metal band. Nothing groundbreaking, but a solid release.
3. Deicide - To Hell With God. Another solid death metal release with some killer solos from Ralph Santolla and Jack Owens.

Albums I only heard a song or two from, but I thought were cool:
1. Mastodon - The Hunter
2. Iced Earth - Dystopia
3. Absu - Abzu
4. Revocation - Chaos of Forms
5. The Black Dahlia Murder - Ritual

I found Surtur Rising to be a little bit of a letdown, considering the past 2 albums were each a solid 10 imo. But overall, I do like it.

I get guilty pleasures, really I do. But ugh, amaranthe sucked. Like, really fucking sucked. :yell: I'd rather listen to Within Temptation or something.

Iconoclast and The Hunter are really good. Dystopia seems like it might be good based on the title track.

Iconoclast is a good album for what it is, but between it and Divine Wings exist four albums which kick the crap out of it in every single way imaginable. As for Dystopia, the title track and Dark City are the only tracks really worth listening to. [/opinion]

I never could get into Mastodon because the whole southern rock vibe just annoys me. But I guess I'll give their new one a listen when I get around to it.

Unexpect - Fables of the Sleepless Empire

This is a pretty crazy album, in case people haven't heard it (I love the bassist).

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember listening to a Mastodon song and not liking it. I didn't even finish it, and haven't looked them up since.

I expected Unexpect (lol there's my problem right there) to be more tech-metal than that, from what I remembered hearing. I was thinking along the lines of Blotted Science and Canvas Solaris, etc.
Not bad. I enjoyed it.

Some Tech-Metal madness

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgOYjZ7K_Cs&feature=related[/ame]