2011 albums

^That's a pretty good disappointment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you not enjoy Leprous - Bilateral, Ken? I imagined that this would top most lists on these forums this year. Not only will this end up being my top disc of 2011 (most-likely... I have a few more to listen to), but I'd consider it a top 10 of the last 5 years.

I am listening to Grace for Drowning today... so far, so good :) I love almost anything Steven Wilson puts out. No-Man, Porcupine Tree... the albums he produces are often amazing (Opeth, etc.).

Sadly, I don't think SX will be topping... or even making many lists this year. :(

Hävitetty is probably my favourite Moonsorrow album, but I would recommend starting with Verisäkeet, I think it might have just a bit more immediate appeal. Doesn't really matter though, they're both so good it's almost painful.

You shouldn't bother if you have a problem with long songs, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHYOoiAQSeU&feature=related

I did check out Hävitetty, and I liked it a lot. I don't mind the vocal style at all, and it's cool to hear it in Finnish.

I love long songs! As long as they're done right, and not tasteless.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Agreed with these recommendations. Moonsorrow is great.

Yeah. :lol:

Oh, don't get butthurt. Opeth, PoS, and Amorphis disappointed. Those bands are capable of so much more that to put out a forgettable disc is inexcusable. Hopefully their next will be better. Unlike some people here, I don't blindly worship bands. Even my favorite bands have proven they are capable of lackluster releases and I'm not too insecure or afraid or whatever mechanism governs that sort of reaction to admit it and move on.

I did preface my "list" by saying that the year was terrible and I couldn't even call it a top 10. Why should I include a "brand name" band like Opeth, for example, only because of who they are? If their album didn't hit the radar hard enough then it doesn't deserve to stay there.

Re Cynthesis: Yes, I liked it. Erik is one of the coolest vocalists and most here know my love for the Tipton twins. It's a good album but it can't really stand up to a best-of list either. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I have to say best of, it's not just for the year, it's for all time. The criteria being "released this year, top 10 of which could compete with the top 10 of other years". 2011 fell on its face

I'm not getting butthurt at all really, only bringing up a legit point. From what you are saying it sounds like you are not making your picks based on how much you enjoy listening to them; rather, you are basing them on if they meet a certain level of expectation or not depending on what level of regard you have for each band. It just seems that either your logic is quirky, or that you should have just plainly said, "yeah, I like the album Amaranthe put out". You made it sound like you really didn't like it except that it happened to be catchy, as if you were too embarassed to admit you liked something so shallow or whatever. I was disappointed with Iconoclast because I expect so much more from SyX; however, it is still on my list because I still find it a very solid album that beats out a lot of other things. I am not gonna put say the new Iced Earth (which I did find decent) on my list over SyX just out of anger that Iconoclast wasn't as good as I know SyX can do. This is because overall I enjoyed it more than the new Iced Earth, it has nothing to do with fanboyism.

On the note of Cynthesis: I was actually disappointed with DeEvolution after the first listen because I think I was expecting something certain from it. This was due to the fact that I remember when it was originally being made as a Zero Hour album before Erik left all those years ago. I was so excited at the concept of it and got so disappointed when it got cancelled due to Erik's departure. Alas, I really think I expected it to sound like a Zero Hour album because of this. I eventually had to embrace the fact that it was a different band; thus, it had a different sound from ZH. It is definately a more ambient/atmospheric album and features a lot less guitar licks than one accustomed to ZH would expect.

For those who may be curious about Amaranthe

This was the first thing I ever saw of them. To me it sounds like something that would be like some sort of "gateway drug" to get more people into metal. I also found the first couple of verses the girl sings a bit funny because the vocal style reminded me a lot of Beyonce or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it funny, cause I feel like I should hate it, but I don't. Maybe it's the "distracted by the sexy" -effect.

^
I was distracted at first too, but didn´t get to the end of the video thanks to the music... This isn´t my cup of tea.

On other hand, I had the chance to hear Leprous´ debut "Aeolia" some time ago, and didn´t find it pleasing. But holy shit, I have fell in love with "Acquired Taste". :kickass:

I definitely will check "Bilateral".

^
I was distracted at first too, but didn´t get to the end of the video thanks to the music... This isn´t my cup of tea.

On other hand, I had the chance to hear Leprous´ debut "Aeolia" some time ago, and didn´t find it pleasing. But holy shit, I have fell in love with "Acquired Taste". :kickass:

Whenever I post a song from this album, I choose a random track; that's how great the entire thing is. Acquired Taste is no better than the others. Enjoy!

I'm not getting butthurt at all really, only bringing up a legit point. From what you are saying it sounds like you are not making your picks based on how much you enjoy listening to them; rather, you are basing them on if they meet a certain level of expectation or not depending on what level of regard you have for each band. It just seems that either your logic is quirky, or that you should have just plainly said, "yeah, I like the album Amaranthe put out". You made it sound like you really didn't like it except that it happened to be catchy, as if you were too embarassed to admit you liked something so shallow or whatever. I was disappointed with Iconoclast because I expect so much more from SyX; however, it is still on my list because I still find it a very solid album that beats out a lot of other things. I am not gonna put say the new Iced Earth (which I did find decent) on my list over SyX just out of anger that Iconoclast wasn't as good as I know SyX can do. This is because overall I enjoyed it more than the new Iced Earth, it has nothing to do with fanboyism.

On the note of Cynthesis: I was actually disappointed with DeEvolution after the first listen because I think I was expecting something certain from it. This was due to the fact that I remember when it was originally being made as a Zero Hour album before Erik left all those years ago. I was so excited at the concept of it and got so disappointed when it got cancelled due to Erik's departure. Alas, I really think I expected it to sound like a Zero Hour album because of this. I eventually had to embrace the fact that it was a different band; thus, it had a different sound from ZH. It is definately a more ambient/atmospheric album and features a lot less guitar licks than one accustomed to ZH would expect.
Here's the thing. "Even if IC isn't the best that SX can do, it's still a good album" isn't good enough for me. Iced Earth shouldn't be on anyone's list :lol:

It's hard to explain myself, and recently I may have discovered it might be because I am possibly somewhat autistic? Maybe? Anyway...

For me, a top 10 for the year with "albums that were still pretty good, but not as good as these bands are capable of" is a pretty sorry showing, for a TOP 10. Instead of tossing in a top 10 of those kinda albums, I just picked the 10 I listened to most, which is one way of slicing it. However, those albums weren't listened to nearly as much as older releases, so even then... this year has not really been top 10 worthy. should have clarified.

my 2c

PS: Leprous is pretty cool so far

I understand what you're saying, but even if only the most garbage of garbage was released this year, there are still 10 that appeal to you the most. Even if you completely hate your list, it can still potentially be the best of 2011.

Personally, I find that a few gems have come out this year. I am very happy with 2011... but I've never really been on top of things when it comes to recent albums. It is a lot of fun, so I plan on doing this every year, moving forward.

Opeth, PoS, and Amorphis disappointed. Those bands are capable of so much more that to put out a forgettable disc is inexcusable. Hopefully their next will be better.

I found Heritage forgettable even after a lot of spins, but refused to give up on it before I was absolutely certain it wasn't that good. Now I'm almost pissed off at myself for not "getting it" sooner. It's a fantastic record even with that hideously misplaced song "Slither" on it.

I found Heritage forgettable even after a lot of spins, but refused to give up on it before I was absolutely certain it wasn't that good. Now I'm almost pissed off at myself for not "getting it" sooner. It's a fantastic record even with that hideously misplaced song "Slither" on it.

In probably direct contradiction to what I said before about band's reputations, I'll give it a bunch more chances just because it's Opeth. But I'm not the kind of person who "grows" on music. If it doesn't strike me the first time, small chance it ever will.

^

I've said it before on this forum, but I really like Aeolia. I have heard about the same amount from all 3 albums of theirs and even though I think it is all great I feel that Aeolia has a sound I find different and interesting. Not that I would want all their albums to sound this way though...

I listened to a few tracks from Bilateral, and I didn't care too much for them. Maybe I'll try again later.

I listened to Heritage quite a bit when it first released and loved it; however, I noticed that I haven't listened to it in a while. I think it may just be more that I have to be in the right mood for it as I go through phases. One week I am all about power metal, while the next week it may be melodic death. Then a month down the line I will be in a total prog mood. The amount of soundscapes between all the stuff I listen to is so robust that it seems I can't help but listen to music this way. If I am listening to something like Insomnium with its rich, heavy, and dark sound and really feeling it, I can't just suddenly have the music change to something like Heritage or Road Salt One or Two and be able to really feel it like I would if I was in a more progressive mood.

Another good album I just found about from this year:

Garden Wall - Assurado