Your top albums of 2011

Hey everyone. :wave:

Well, here we are again, at the end of the year. Time to assess the new music we have accumulated over the past 365 days and talk about the albums that we enjoyed throughout 2011.

Here are my personal picks (in no particular order, other than alphabetical).

Battlelore: Doombound
Nightwish: Imaginaerum
Sirenia: The Enigma of Life
Stratovarius: Elysium
Within Temptation: The Unforgiving

Sorry my list is so short, but it's after midnight right now, and I'm feeling a bit sleepy, so hopefully I'll have a more adequate list after a good night's sleep.
offtobed.gif

I have yet to finalize my list but when I do I'll post it here. Of course I'm sure my list will upset some people since I don't have Imaginaerum on it. (Sorry don't own the CD yet and don't have plans to get it right now...money).

As usual it's impossible for me to make a best of the year list with fixed positions of my picks. My taste of music varies over so many genres that compareing CDs becomes like deciding between apples and oranges. For this list of the 2011 I browsed through my music collection and just picked those which according to my memory made an impact on me when I listened them. Some of these albums I have only heard once, some of them countless times, so this is very subjective and personal list. I'm sure if I did a second run through my archives, this list would look quite different because there are numerous awesome albums left out which would fit on this personal "me likes" list as well, depending on my mood.

Alas, here we go:

I better separate Nightwish - Imaginaerum (2011) from the rest of the lot, though, I think I'm biased when it comes to that particular band... :p

My fast-picked 2011 Top 30 - in no particular order:

Stratovarius - Elysium (2011)
Amorphis - The Beginning Of Times (2011)
Pain - You Only Live Twice (2011)
Falconer - Armod (2011)
Symphony X - Iconoclast (2011)
Borealis - Fall From Grace (2011)
The Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction (2011)
Amaranthe - Amaranthe (2011)
Tyr - The Lay Of Thrym (2011)
Communic - The Bottom Deep (2011)
Max Pie - Initial Process (2011)
Leprous - Bilateral (2011)
Opeth - Heritage (2011)
Arkona - Slovo (2011)
Mastodon - The Hunter (2011)
Haken - Visions (2011)
Voyager - The Meaning Of I (2011)
Joseph Magazine - Night Of The Red Sky (2011)
Battle Beast - Steel (2011)
Insomnium - One For Sorrow (2011)
Astral Doors - Jerusalem (2011)
Myrath - Tales Of The Sands (2011)
Black Sun Aeon - Blacklight Deliverance (2011)
Mystic Prophecy - Ravenlord (2011)
The Man-Eating Tree - Harvest (2011)
Burzum - Fallen (2011)
Exsecratus - Beloved Serpent (2011)
KYPCK - Nizhe (2011)
Turisas - Stand Up And Fight (2011)
Within Temptation - Unforgiving (2011)

Hmmm... By looking the list, I see that my love of progmetal will show quite clearly.. :)

^True; I used to try and rank albums by favorite, but over the years, I just found I couldn't do that, because different bands hit different nerves, so I just gave up on the idea and made a general list.

Although if I *had* to make a "favorite" based on how many times I listened to an album, it would have to be Elysium. Not that I haven't listened to Imaginaerum a ton of times, but Elysium came out in, what, January? So I know that there is no way I could have possibly listened to Imaginaerum in one month, the same amount of times (or more) than I listened to Elysium all year.

But I think Nightwish fans will forgive me, as they know I love me some Strato. ;) And hell, in the words of Tuomas himself, when I first met him, "if it weren't for that band, my band would not exist!" ;)

In Legend - Ballads 'n' Bullets
Van Canto - Break The Silence
PAIN - You Only Live Twice
Nightwish - Imaginaerum
Evanescence - Evanescence
Lord Of The Lost - Antagony
The Razorblades - Gimme Some Noise
Hypocrisy - Hell Over Sofia (live)

It's taken me a while to finish the last 2 CDs that I had to review, but with that task now complete I can move on to 2012.

Before I do though, here's my list of the 10 best CDs of 2011.

1. Whitesnake - Forevermore

The album was one of the first ones I bought in 2011 and it has never left my work bag the whole time since. This album was simply outstanding.

2. Beth Hart / Joe Bonamassa - Don't Explain

Likely the biggest surprise to me on the list. I like both artists but a covers album of jazz, R&B, soul and other songs as one of MY favorites. That shows you how good it is.

3. The Elves (featuring Ronnie James Dio) - And Before Elf...There Were Elves

The music world lost a giant when Ronnie James Dio passed. This archival release highlights an early part of his rise to the top of the Silver Mountain!

4. Simon Kirke - Filling The Void

The drummer behind all the big Bad Company hits turns the tables with this solo release. A solid rock and roll album that comes with a light touch instead of a ton of tricks of the trade.

5. Black Country Communion - 2

This album is a great album but for me it was a little less masterful than the first album.

6. Iced Earth - Dystopia

Best Iced Earth album from top to bottom in years.

7. U.D.O. - Rev-Raptor

The appreciation of Udo Dirkschneider continues to grow with each successive release from the band.

8. Anthrax - Worship Music

It was a long time coming but well worth the wait.

9. Bad Company - Live At Wembley

Documenting the band's Wembley Stadium concert in fine fashion.

10. Doro - 25 Years...And Still Going Strong

The CD part of this 2 disc DVD/ 1 CD release amply demonstrates why Doro Pesch remains the Metal Queen.

My Top Ten CD's of 2011 from Number ten to number 1

10. Galneryus - Phoenix Rising
9. Seven Witches - Call Upon the Wicked
8. Fuseboxx - Animated
7. Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy
6. Stratovarius - Elysium
5. Mastodon - The Hunter
4. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
3. Halcyon Way - Indoctrination
2. Voyager- The Meaning of I
1. Nightwish - Imaginaerum

My Top Ten CD's of 2011 from Number ten to number 1

10. Galneryus - Phoenix Rising
9. Seven Witches - Call Upon the Wicked
8. Fuseboxx - Animated
7. Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy
6. Stratovarius - Elysium
5. Mastodon - The Hunter
4. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
3. Halcyon Way - Indoctrination
2. Voyager- The Meaning of I
1. Nightwish - Imaginaerum

I liked the Seven Witches CD but it just missed my top 10 list.