Albums of 2011

Opeth, Draconian, Novembers Doom, Septic Flesh, Slumber (whatever the new band is called), Moonspell, Les Discret, Benighted, Aborted, North, Wolvhammer, Witchden, Persuader, Novembre, Subterranean Masquarade?, Daylight Dies, OMIT, Lifelover, Saturnus, Colosseum, Devin Townsend, Down, UneXpect... I know there are more I'm forgetting. :/

Rumor is Daylight Dies will be recording an album in 2011 as well...shaping up to be an awesome year for metal!

You guys mention Slumber, but didn't that band split up? I listened to the guys new band its like some kind of electronica. ??

No Arch Enemy fans? Im looking forward to the new album, not as much for the songs but as a guitarist i just am really stoked to see what the amott bros come up with. Chris Amott is a shred monster and Mike is a melodic mastermind.

I like Arch Enemy, I haven't gotten too excited about any of their releases for several years now though, which isn't to say that I don't enjoy them just fine but I'd like to see them branch out a bit. I don't see that happening though. But yeah the playing is always phenomenal on their cds that's very true.

For the little it's worth, I'm anticipating new stuff from Samael, Vintersorg, Morbid Angel with a weird mix of excitement and dread, Poisonblack, Moonspell, ND, and Leaves Eyes off of the top of my head. Anticipation for KYPCK at the dawn of the new year has since turned to sheer joy.

Crowbar--Sever the Wicked Hand. Excellent riffcraft. Negative Plane--Stained Glass Revelations. Very unique Black/metal. Only 2 I've heard this year. Looking forward to the new Ulver, Fleet Foxes and This will Destroy You. All due around the first or second week of May.

I like Arch Enemy, I haven't gotten too excited about any of their releases for several years now though, which isn't to say that I don't enjoy them just fine but I'd like to see them branch out a bit. I don't see that happening though. But yeah the playing is always phenomenal on their cds that's very true.

I haven't liked anything by Arch Enemy since "Anthems of Rebellion" that CD is fucking sick since then they've been going downhill in my opinion.

New Fleet Foxes!? Thanks for the heads up I really enjoy their music!

- Joel

My only problem with Arch Enemy is I feel like most of their albums are on the same level and are trying to accomplish the same thing. For what they do, they do it very well, but I would rather see them mix it up a bit more. I'm almost starting to toss them in with Slayer and Amon Amarth for bands who release the same album time and time again

The upcoming Ribspreader is pretty tasty. Nothing new, just what one would expect from them. Glad to be reviewing this beast.

I'm definitely looking forward to the new Ribspreader. They don't need to do anything "new", what they already do is just fine with me.

I concur with the posts about Arch Enemy, I think they're excellent at what they do but knowing the amount of talent and potential in that band, I'd like to see them mix it up a bit and do something suprising to some extent.

You know... I've been a Ribspreader fan since Bolted to the Cross, and this new release really bothered me and it took a couple listens to put my finger on it. The production is lacking. Rogga is one of my favorite DM vocalists and this production uses tons of reverb, and buried the vocals, so the quality of his vocal suffers. Damn, I wish Swano had mixed this.

To me all the arch enemy cd's sound totaly different. I miss the Johan days... i just found is vocals more emotive then angela but she is still kick ass and is one of the best live performers i have ever seen. They havnt made any albums that stand out but i dont think its fair to say they all sound the same. But i also agree that it would be nice to hear them do something different but i dont think they want to. With all that said i cant wait for the new Opeth cd. And The one by that Navemba Doom band looks like its gonna be good.