Your albums of 2013

Hey everyone. :wave:

Well, that time of year has come again, which means it's time to reflect on the last 52 weeks and ask ourselves...what music kicked the most ass over the past year?

I have to say, this year was full of great music for me, and I was surprised to see just how much there was when the time came to put it all together! I can't remember a year with so much great music to go around! There might have been *better* years, but definitely not one so abundant!

Here were my picks throughout the year, categorized chronologically.

Winter 2013 (January-March)

Stratovarius: Nemesis
Depeche Mode: Delta Machine

Spring 2013 (April-June)

Within Temptation: The Q-Music Sessions
HIM: Tears on Tape
Delain: Interlude
Pamela Moore: Resurrect Me
Timo Tolkki's Avalon: The Land of New Hope
A Sound of Thunder: Time's Arrow (my pick for "new discovery of the year")
Queens of the Stone Age: ...Like Clockwork
Queensrÿche: S/T (my pick for "favorite album of the year")

Summer 2013 (July-September)

Sirenia: Perils of the Deep Blue
Lydia's Libido: S/T
Tarja: Colours in the Dark
Fish: A Feast of Consequences
ReVamp: Wild Card
Dream Theater: S/T
Sammy Hagar: Sammy Hagar & Friends

Autumn 2013 (October-December)

Ayreon: The Theory of Everything
Chastain: Surrender to No One
Rush: Clockwork Angels Tour
Benedictum: Obey
Nightwish: Showtime, Storytime (and hell, I'm *on* the DVD!)

Those are my picks for 2013. What about you?

My list for rock and metal releases has to wait until it goes up on KNAC.com but then I'll post that and the list that includes a couple of NON-metal releases here.

I will say that you and I have two discs in common while I own two others that you liked that didn't make my list.

You are right on Pamela Moore, but the other in the top ten is not any of your guesses. :D

Here's my Top 10 rock and metal list.

01.) Oliva - Raise The Curtain (Nuclear Blast)
02.) Metal Church - Generation Nothing (Rat Pak Records)
03.) Black Sabbath - 13 (Republic Records)
04.) Fates Warning - Darkness in a Different Light (InsideOut Music)
05.) S.U.N. - Something Unto Nothing (Robo Records)
06.) Pamela Moore - Resurrect Me (Rat Pak Records)
07.) Deep Purple - Now What?! (Eagle Rock Entertainment)
08.) Helloween - Straight Out Of Hell (Sony)
09.) Queensryche - Frequency Unknown (Cleopatra Records)
10.) Benedictum - Obey (Frontiers)

If you include the NON-Metal releases, the list would look like this:

1. Oliva - Raise The Curtain
2. Metal Church - Generation Nothing
3. Black Sabbath - 13
4. Beth Hart - Bang Bang Boom Boom
5. Fates Warning - Darkness in a Different Light
6. S.U.N. - Something Unto Nothing
7. Pamela Moore - Resurrect Me
8. Beth Hart / Joe Bonamassa - Seesaw
9. Deep Purple - Now What?!
10. Helloween - Straight Out of Hell

We'll have to respectfully "agree to disagree" on the different sides we've taken in the QR debate. ;)

Looking at your list, I think you should really check out A Sound of Thunder. I don't think you will be disappointed. They did some collaboration with Veronica from Benedictum early last year.

The other site I write for (Pop-topia.com) did a feature on them this year. They are a band I want to check out if I get the time.

And believe me, I am in the minority opinion on KNAC.com about the dueling Queensryche albums.

Good review; however, in fairness to Todd, he did not start talking about those things until Tate made snide comments about him. And Parker is Tate's ex-son-in-law, so I think he has somewhat of a right to an opinion about what's going on. ;)

I think the guys wanted a return to the higher vocals, which Tate has not really been doing since before DeGarmo left. Let's face it, they took a huge risk in letting Tate go in the first place, so fans were not gonna take to anyone who couldn't do the songs the way they have wanted to hear them. Tate's already been short-changing those songs vocally for a long time, so I think the band knew they had to go with someone who could recapture the sound of the early days. I also think that they wanted to give the fans what they wanted, which was an album that sounded like the "good ol' days". Now that they've done that, I think now they can focus on putting more of their stamp on it. :)

Putting their own stamp on things might go a long way in me liking their future material.

I think once this trial is over, everything will be much better for both parties.

They keep asking for an extension for settlement talks to continue.

I think Corey Glover (of Living Colour) said it best on That Metal Show a week or so ago. NEITHER party should have the rights to the name.