2015 Albums Thread

Phanto

Alalalalalalalala.
Apr 8, 2005
Gothenburg, SWE
Alright; new year, new thread.

Post about any good albums you've heard so far.

For me, there have been three solid but not amazing metal albums:
Blind Guardian - Beyond The Red Mirror
Better than the last two, but not better than that.

Marduk - Frontschwein
Quality Swedish black metal, with a dash of Satyricon.

Angra - Secret Garden
Only listened to it a couple of times so far but at least it's not bad.

And two good non-metal albums:
Björk - Vulnicura
Haven't listened a lot to it and I'm not a big fan of Björk, but I like what I hear.

Unreal City - Il Pase Del Tramonto
Quality italian prog rock.

Yeah, I just found out about the new Angra, and theoretically it is a Dec. 2014 release as it was out then everywhere except North America.

yq.jpg

quite excited for the new blind guardian coming out today or so... gotta check that one when it is available. nothing else on the plate for me yet though

The new BG is pretty good. A lot of orchestrations throughout; however they never seem to let the guitars sound too dull due to it. So far I like it as much as the last album, and I like that one quite well. I think with more listens I could end up actually liking it more than the last album.

The new Angra I still need more listens but I feel that it is overall better than their last couple albums (and I didn't quite hate those albums, just felt they were a bit lackluster). I like that Fabio doesn't try to do his typical high range stuff too much and keeps it mid range quite well. The diversity of the tracks seems to be a really nice strong point and is something like I would like to see from SyX actually. My main gripe is that it is only 10 tracks and they use 3 of them for more ballad esque type songs. The title track is not a bad song; however, it is sung by Simone Simmons while also having a symphonic power ballad sound. Pretty much it just sounds like an Epica song and to me has almost no resemblance to Angra. They use up quite a few tracks on more proggy style songs that I think get better with more listens and there are 2 tracks that are the more speed power metal focused. The second track "Black Hearted Soul" is one of these two and is definately one of my favorites on the album, actually it is probably one of my favorite faster paced Angra songs ever.

2015 is starting out with so many huge releases for me already! I have the new Orden Ogan I still need to listen to while I haven't even had much time to digest both the new BG and Angra. Then there is a new Ensiferum in Feb. and a new Nightwish in March, while sometime during this timeframe there should be a new SyX of course.

Been quite busy nowadays, so hopefully I'm not missing much. Eagerly waiting for the new Symphony X, Cradle of Filth and Kamelot albums.

Yet to listen to a single album released this year, looking forward to hearing Vulnicura and Hand. Cannot. Erase. among others.

Speaking of the new SyX album...

I recently listened to an interview on YouTube that Russell Allen did last month where he was talking about Adrenaline Mob mostly but his other projects as well. When the interviewer asked him how the new SyX album was coming along he acted really blase about it. He said he didn't have much to say about it because "Romeo will have it done when its done". I know this has been the normal thing with barely any info until Romeo is done and ready; however, Russell made it sound as if he was bitter about it in some way. The strangest thing is he said that he already went in and did his vocal tracks, which if it is true he should have some things to say about the new album. I just think he doesn't care. He kind of made it sound like Romeo is the one not including anyone else in the writing process or that Romeo is a control freak or something, but I dunno? I have always felt Romeo did most of the writing alone the last couple of albums because the other band members didn't care as much due to living in different places and having families and such.

Anyway, I still think Russell is only still in SyX because it is what put him on the map to be able to do all the other stuff he has done, and also because it most probably is his main source of income as well.

Here is the interview if anyone cares to hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0tXOy3W83Q

Anyone else excited about the upcoming Nightwish album? Any pre-release thoughts, expectations, etc.?

I'd say now with Floor Jansen. Yeah It will probably rock really hard. I am sure I wont be disappointed.

Anyone else excited about the upcoming Nightwish album? Any pre-release thoughts, expectations, etc.?

I'd say now with Floor Jansen. Yeah It will probably rock really hard. I am sure I wont be disappointed.

I'm very excited about it! I think Floor will be great and I'm part of the small group that really enjoys "Elán". Can't wait to hear the whole thing! Hopefully it's more like Once (or even Dark Passion Play) and less like Imaginareum (which I found to be interesting overall but lacking in good individual songs).