Let's review and discuss new albums!

Phanto

Alalalalalalalala.
Apr 8, 2005
Gothenburg, SWE
A lot of bands have released new albums recently... or their albums have leaked on the internet. Either way there's new stuff out there, some from bands that are pretty big on this forum.

It would be fun to hear people's opinion on them.

Here's some I listened to recently.

Angra - Aqua
Sounds a little like the last couple of albums production-wise. Starts off pretty straight forward with some simpler but catchy songs. The intro track does NOTHING for the album and I don't understand why band nowadays must have a 1-minute intro track for the sake of having an intro. You can hear some experimental stuff in the first few tracks already but not until the pretty cool semi-ballad Lease of Life would I say they play prog metal. I LOVE the beginning and the instrumental sections of the following song The Rage of Waters but the chorus is really weak. The bass section in the middle of the song is noteworthy but then again I get a hard-on as soon as there's any sort of solo bass.
I'd say there aren't any real full-on ballads on the album but the rest of the album, Spirit of the Air, Hollow, A Monster in Her Eyes, Weakness of a Man and Ashes, are all pretty chilled down compared to the opening tracks. Especially Ashes which, well, yeah..- okay, it is a ballad.
I've just listened to it once and a few songs twice but it's definitely a grower, I can hear that already. A lot better than Aurora Consurgens, and pretty much on par with Temple of Shadows. Anyone who likes anything from Angra should definitely check it out.
7.5/10

Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time

I was disappointed at first because the album starts off with Sacred Worlds, a song which I until recently didn't like at all. I thought the rest of the album was kind of meh as well the first time I gave it a listen. But I guess that's the new Blind Guardian for you.
The production, with a lot of layers making a "wall of sound" (in a good way like Devin Townsend or Zappa, not cranking everything max like Metallica or in SXs' Paradise Lost), will have you discover new stuff every time you listen to it.
I'd definitely say it's a grower, much better than a Twist in the Myth. My favorites are Ride Into Obsession which is a good blend of Old and New Blind Guardian, the ballad Curse My Name, Control the Divine with one of their catchiest choruses ever and A Voice in the Dark which sounds a little like it could be off Nightfall in middle-earth.
8/10 (actually 7/10 but I'm a fanboy)

Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
Some people say this album is a return to form but I'd say it's not. Sure they've gone back a little to their darker roots, but at the same time they've let in clean vocals and lighter passages in pretty much every song. Now they're like a norwegian post-black Opeth if anything. I like it though. It's no Mardraum but it's god damn good.
Pretty much every song is 6-7 minutes long and packed with quality Enslaved goodness. Instead of highlighting songs I'd rather just say that Axioma is a pretty unecessary ambient track and that the rest of the album is just really fucking good.
8.2/10

My copy/pastes from another forum:

Accept - Blood of the Nations: Not going to go in depth here, but this album is fucking awesome! Now, I do wish they had a more old-school feel in their riffing, but the heavier mid-paced approach to most of the songs is well done. That's my only criticism, as all the songs are pretty damn good, catchy melodies, and Mark Tornillo is more than adequate as the frontman here. He fucking shines on this album with some great screams and a nice and gravelly voice to match the signature Accept style!

Stand out tracks for me are Beat the Bastards, Teutonic Terror, Locked and Loaded, Rolling Thunder and Time Machine.

Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time: Being one of the other few albums that really impressed me along with the new Accept this year, Blind Guardian shows a true return to form with this disc. It's fucking GOOD! Not just in the "eh, it's better than a twist in the myth" good, but legitimately good. Easily the best thing with the Blind Guardian name since "Nightfall..."

First and foremost, THE GUITARS ARE FUCKING BACK BABY! The album as a whole is much more guitar and riff driven than recent efforts, with flawless transitions from sweet riffs to gigantic sounding multi-vocal parts that Blind Guardian have become known for. The production is great without suffering the "Night at the Opera" overproduction. The songs are solid with some real gems in there (Sacred Worlds, Tanelorn, A Voice in the Dark to name a few). They also score nerd points for having a few songs based on A Song of Ice and Fire series.

Grand riffs, sweet guitar solos, Hansi singing like a champ and some of the best power metal to come from this band in years.... this is a fucking winner right here.

My copy/pastes from another forum:

Accept - Blood of the Nations: Not going to go in depth here, but this album is fucking awesome! Now, I do wish they had a more old-school feel in their riffing, but the heavier mid-paced approach to most of the songs is well done. That's my only criticism, as all the songs are pretty damn good, catchy melodies, and Mark Tornillo is more than adequate as the frontman here. He fucking shines on this album with some great screams and a nice and gravelly voice to match the signature Accept style!

Stand out tracks for me are Beat the Bastards, Teutonic Terror, Locked and Loaded, Rolling Thunder and Time Machine.

Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time: Being one of the other few albums that really impressed me along with the new Accept this year, Blind Guardian shows a true return to form with this disc. It's fucking GOOD! Not just in the "eh, it's better than a twist in the myth" good, but legitimately good. Easily the best thing with the Blind Guardian name since "Nightfall..."

First and foremost, THE GUITARS ARE FUCKING BACK BABY! The album as a whole is much more guitar and riff driven than recent efforts, with flawless transitions from sweet riffs to gigantic sounding multi-vocal parts that Blind Guardian have become known for. The production is great without suffering the "Night at the Opera" overproduction. The songs are solid with some real gems in there (Sacred Worlds, Tanelorn, A Voice in the Dark to name a few). They also score nerd points for having a few songs based on A Song of Ice and Fire series.

Grand riffs, sweet guitar solos, Hansi singing like a champ and some of the best power metal to come from this band in years.... this is a fucking winner right here.

I endorse this post 100%!

And live, Accept just KILLS! Saw them as part of the showcase for Prog Power USA......

Let's see...

Lots of new stuff but not much that's so great.

Winners
Eluveitie - Everything Remains As It Never Was: Awesome, solid, maybe their best yet.
Jonsi - Go (Sigur Ros frontman solo): As good if not better than Sigur Ros. Picked up the vinyl.
Spiritual Beggars - Return to Zero: As good as Demons. Which is quite good.
Kamelot - Poetry for the Poisoned: Kamelot is back. Just forget their last album.
Pain of Salvation - Road Salt One: Very much like.
Engel - Threnody: Solid follow up to a kickass debut.

Losers
Vanden Plas - The Seraphic Clockwork: Eh, boring.
Angra - Aqua: Temple of Shadows was better, if only they could make an album as sweet as Rebirth again.
Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time: They made an album with nary a melody, and even with such source material as ASoIaF???
[A bunch more that were so actually bad I can't remember them, these were more like the good ones that could have been better]

Kamelot - Poetry for the poisoned
The Great Pandemonium: Okay song
If Tomorrow Came: Okay
Dear Editor: what the fuck is this, skip
The Zodiac: Quite catchy. Is that the guy from Savatage singing?
Hunter's Season: sounds like any other song
House on a Hill: uh, skip
Necropolis: okay
My Train of Thoughts: okay but shit chorus
Seal of Woven Years: some interesting stuff here. probably the best song so far on this album.
p1 Incubus: okay
p2 So Long: "you fed me long and oh by god you fed me well" skip
p3 All Is Over: meh more of the same
p4 Dissection: okay
Once Upon a Time: okay
Thespian Drama (bonus): instrumental song, okay

Overall I'd say it sounds just the same as any of their later albums.
Lacks memorable melodies.
4/10

Out of the albums mentioned already, here's how I'd rate them:

BG:ATeoT:9/10(Excellent album, their best since Imaginations for sure)
Kamelot:pFtP:2.5/10(Garbage, far worse than Ghost Opera, and that was a step down at the time)
Angra Aqua:6/10(Decent album, though very forgettable, not as good as Aurora Consurgens)
Enslaved:AEO:8.5/10(Great album, much better than Vertebrae, much heavier as well)
Vanden Plas:TSC:7.5/10(Good album, On my Way to Jerusalem is fantastic, the rest ranges from decent to good)
Spiritual Beggars:RTZ:7/10(Pretty good album, Believe In Me and The Chaos of Rebirth are amazing, but the rest is somewhat forgettable)

Also, Revamp:

I love Floor, but the music on this album is very disappointing, just sloppy and generic. The vocals also aren't as good usual from her, sounds like she didn't go all out for this one, aside from Sweet Curse(which has a guest appearance by Russell Allen). Overall, a decent album, but it should have been much better, nowhere near as good as most AF albums. 6.5/10

Out of the albums mentioned already, here's how I'd rate them:

BG:ATeoT:9/10(Excellent album, their best since Imaginations for sure)
Kamelot:pFtP:2.5/10(Garbage, far worse than Ghost Opera, and that was a step down at the time)
Angra Aqua:6/10(Decent album, though very forgettable, not as good as Aurora Consurgens)
Enslaved:AEO:8.5/10(Great album, much better than Vertebrae, much heavier as well)
Vanden Plas:TSC:7.5/10(Good album, On my Way to Jerusalem is fantastic, the rest ranges from decent to good)
Spiritual Beggars:RTZ:7/10(Pretty good album, Believe In Me and The Chaos of Rebirth are amazing, but the rest is somewhat forgettable)

Also, Revamp:

I love Floor, but the music on this album is very disappointing, just sloppy and generic. The vocals also aren't as good usual from her, sounds like she didn't go all out for this one, aside from Sweet Curse(which has a guest appearance by Russell Allen). Overall, a decent album, but it should have been much better, nowhere near as good as most AF albums. 6.5/10

and I endorse this post 100%

Especially the ReVamp stuff

Blind Guardian-AtEoT: I pretty much agree with the first post on this, a pretty solid album that grows on you
Kamelot-PftP: I've listened through a few times and am not too impressed, its OK but they don't offer much different than what was on the last two albums...maybe it will grow more with time
Eluveitie-ERaiNW: I agree with Ken on this one, their most solid release thus far; however, I don't think it totally overshadows their other material or anything
Soilwork-TPB: I have a feeling a lot of you would disagree with me but this one has really grown on me...I wasn't too fond of it at first because of my expectations but it really has some interesting stuff going on with some of the catchiest melodies
Angra-Aqua: Theres a new Angra out!? Holy crap I had no clue they even started work on a new album let alone its out...gotta go check it out now!

Kamelot - Poetry for the poisoned
The Great Pandemonium: Okay song
If Tomorrow Came: Okay
Dear Editor: what the fuck is this, skip
The Zodiac: Quite catchy. Is that the guy from Savatage singing?
Hunter's Season: sounds like any other song
House on a Hill: uh, skip
Necropolis: okay
My Train of Thoughts: okay but shit chorus
Seal of Woven Years: some interesting stuff here. probably the best song so far on this album.
p1 Incubus: okay
p2 So Long: "you fed me long and oh by god you fed me well" skip
p3 All Is Over: meh more of the same
p4 Dissection: okay
Once Upon a Time: okay
Thespian Drama (bonus): instrumental song, okay

Overall I'd say it sounds just the same as any of their later albums.
Lacks memorable melodies.
4/10

I would agree that pftp is not spectacular, but i dont think your review is very weighted at all, even for a first listen. hunter season is very unique, and you skiped half the songs, i dont think you should have even gave a raiting

Dear Editor wasn't a song, House On A Hill had awful female vocals, So Long was incredibly stupid. 3 out of 14 is half? Okay.

Hunter's Season is not very unique.

You're right I shouldn't have given it a rating but it's a shit album regardless.

I don't think the new Kamelot is bad, I just think it sounds like the exact same formula they used for Ghost Opera but more watered down. It just seems like they wasted so much potential with the title track/s as well. Why did they have to split it up into multiple tracks anyway, to make the album look longer? All three of those tracks combined only added up to maybe 8 or 9 minutes total anyway. And what was with making Dear Editor seperate from The Zodiac? It could have easily just been added in as the first 30 seconds of The Zodiac.

I have listened to half of the new Blind Guardian album and I can say it's not super catchy but quite good. Filled with suprises and riffs, nice orchestra sound. SOme of the vocal lines are Meh, but like some say this album is packed and will have to grow with time. I will finish the rest up later.

Soilwork-TPB: I have a feeling a lot of you would disagree with me but this one has really grown on me...I wasn't too fond of it at first because of my expectations but it really has some interesting stuff going on with some of the catchiest melodies

Completely agree! It's definitely the best they've done since Natural Born Chaos, which will probably never be topped. There are some amazing songs on the album, and the amount of guitar solos is staggering.

Haven't heard new Kamelot yet, but I'm anxiously awaiting my first listen.

^I've heard Sitra Ahra 10 times now, and I can say it's both my album of the year and probably my favorite album by Therion, it's that good. It pretty much feels like a collection of everything I love about the band thrown together into one epic album. Sorry to hear you didn't like it.