The forgotten albums - thread

REIGN OF TERROR is hands down my favorite. I know it doesn't have the original vocalist, but the music & sound are just so awesome. I also love playing for people and then explaining, "and this is the drummer that's in Journey now." That always gets an interesting response. Dr. Mastermind (brainchild of the original singer of Wild Dogs) didn't quite grab me as much..

"Siberian Vacation" & "Streets Of Berlin" :headbang:
Michael Furlong? sang his ass off on that record. I picked this up on cd a while ago.

LOL I have a cassette LOL (you are talking about the reformed Death Angel right?!?)

Sort of. They did the right thing, after Osegueda left the band they change the name of the band to fit the new sound (a kind of crossover/funk), not bad, not that interesting either. I mean your collection can survive without them. Metallica should have learnt from them.

Luckily Death Angel is reformed and I'm awaiting the follow-up to the brilliant "The Art Of Dying"
Now onto the thread more than album I want to quote bands I have discovered lately (or not so lately) and that we seldom talk about (some old, some new):

Forté
Omen
Miles Beyond
Rival
Axe
Warning S.F.
Solstice
Obstruction
Radakka
Abattoir
Gargoyle
Onward
Pharaoh
Thunderstorm
Zoetrope
Culprit
Superchrist
Abandoned
Mundanus Imperium
Praying Mantis
Xentrix
Power Symphony
Tobruk
Hawk
Black Knight
Imperium
Turbo
Warhead
Zed Yago

There was a band back then called Stormwitch and they had an album called Walpurgis Night. I thought it was a damn fine slab of metal. I had it taped and have never seen it since then.

iTunes has it. Maybe it's been released on cd too? The label is called Battlecry Records.

It has been rereleased on CD, as the rest of Stormwitch back catalogue. I don't remember the label name, though.

Something more:

Sacred Rite - SACRED RITE, 1984, RITUAL, 1986 & IS NOTHING SACRED, 1988? (all now available on two CDs from Sentinel Steel Records
Brainfever - CAPTURE THE NIGHT, 1984
Crimson GLory - CRIMSON GLORY, 1986 (OK, so this one shouldn't have been forgotten in the first place, but in case someone was unaware..)
Picture - DIAMOND DREAMER/NIGHTHUNTER, 1982? & HEAVY METAL EARS, 1980
Riggs - RIGGS, 1982
Who could forget pre-Anselmo Pantera - PROJECTS IN THE JUNGLE, 1984 & I AM THE NIGHT, 1985 (1983's METAL MAGIC is interesting from a historical point of view, but it's not all that "good")
Savage - LOOSE & LETHAL, 1983
Tokyo Blade - TOKYO BLADE, 1983
Angel Dust - INTO THE DARK PAST, 1984
Cities - ANNIHILATION ABSOLUTE, 1985 - 1986 (EP & full length album of same title)

Time to quit for a while...

that was great. a.j. pero from twisted sister was the drummer

I forgot one gem when I posted.... the 2005 release Tad Morose - "Modus Vivendi." It is easily in my top ten releases of all-time and few people know about it. Most here do because I all but forced it on everyone. It kicked my ass big time though.

Bryant

Yep this is the kind of list that could go on forever. Hard to pick "rare" albums because I was quite isolated back in the 80s so everything seemed rare at the time. It turns out a lot of the albums that achieved the rare classic status for me were more often Hard Rock than Metal probably because of the parties they were played at and because they were one offs instead of bands that I collected a long catalog of. So I'll throw out:

Waysted-Save Your Prayers
DAD-No Fuel For the Pilgrims
USA Warrior-Fighting for the Earth
LSD-Silent Majority
Roxx Gang-(Can't remember the album name)
Sword-FTW
Kick Axe-Heavy Metal Shuffle

Project Driver-MacAlpine,Rob Rock, Rudy Sarzo,and Tommy Aldridge
Great album! I was hoping to hear more from these guys but then Sarzo and Aldridge joined Whitesnake.

Holland-Little Monsters. This was a band which had a guitarist called Michael Batio who quit, got hair extentions and became Michael Angelo. Kind of on the pop side but still cool.

Axe-Nemesis
Just a few that come to mind that have not been brought up.

The first 3 Stormwitch releases Walpurgis Night (84), Tales of Terror (85), and Stronger than Heaven (86) were really excellent albums, different than anything I know. They called themselves "Masters of Black Romantik" (whatever that means), I would not at all compare them with Accept though. In fact it is really difficult to compare them with any band I know, it´s simply "evil but romantik". The only criticsm about Stormwitch I have ever heard is Andi´s voice: it is melodic, rather high, some people complain about his voice not beeing "heavy". Anyway, I like it. These albums are not available on CD unfortunately. Nevertheless, there is CD called "Priest of Evil" available with the best songs of the first 3 albums. You should definately check it out ! Also the 2002 comeback album "Dance with the Witches" is surprisingly good. Although only singer Andi is left from the original line up.
Cheerz
:headbang:
Couldnt have said it better myself, only I havent heard the comeback yet...

Nice to see OMEN turn up in someones list.
Strange, there's no talk of Warlord yet.

Hm, I don't think that Omen and Warlord are forgotten bands. That's the reason, probably.

And I second that "Annihilation Absolute" by Cities is one of the best epic/power albums EVER.

Hm, I don't think that Omen and Warlord are forgotten bands. That's the reason, probably.
They aren't spoken of much, like Helstar or a bunch of other bands listed here thats why i brought them up.
And I second that "Annihilation Absolute" by Cities is one of the best epic/power albums EVER.
Didnt really gel with me back in the day. Maybe I should keep an eye/ear out for it.

:headbang:

Well that's because Omen is new to me, I never paid attention before to them. While Warlord has been a fave of mine since I discover their music thru Hammerfall and Helreid covers. I put mostly bands that are not mentioned a lot (IMO) in that list.

Project Driver-MacAlpine,Rob Rock, Rudy Sarzo,and Tommy Aldridge
Great album! I was hoping to hear more from these guys but then Sarzo and Aldridge joined Whitesnake.

Axe-Nemesis
Just a few that come to mind that have not been brought up.

HOLY SHIT! those two are great indeed, even if by my standards that's MacAlpine weakest album :lol: . As for Axe they just kick ass. :headbang:

NP: Masterplan - 'Keeps Me Burning'

Well that's because Omen is new to me, I never paid attention before to them. While Warlord has been a fave of mine since I discover their music thru Hammerfall and Helreid covers.

I dont recall the last time anyone mentioned Omen around here(in the last year or so I've been around) *shrugs* I think its beer o' clock

So, let's say something about Omen. :D

"Battle Cry" is one of the best heavy metal albums ever, but I like the same "Warning of Danger" and "The Curse". :D

Perhaps not so forgotton since they recently re-released them, but Obsession's Scarred for Life and Methods of Madness are essential 80s Priest-type metal in my book.

I also think Mordred's In this Life was way under-rated.

I also hold Obliveon's Cybervoid on a high pedestal. It is a techno-thrash classic in my book, but didn't seem to make a big splash.

Perhaps not so forgotton since they recently re-released them, but Obsession's Scarred for Life and Methods of Madness are essential 80s Priest-type metal in my book.

+1000

Especially Methods of Madness is a classic metal album.

It's a pity that Obsession's 2006 effort (Carnival of Lies) hasn't gain the recognition that deserves. For me, the new album is better even than Methods of Madness.

+1000

Especially Methods of Madness is a classic metal album.

It's a pity that Obsession's 2006 effort (Carnival of Lies) hasn't gain the recognition that deserves. For me, the new album is better even than Methods of Madness.

it just takes awhile for someone like me to get up of his arse and buy the thing! cool tip - it's on my list now. I was hesitant that it didn't have all the original members, but you talked me into it.

Yes, the guitars are not so killer like in "Methods...", but the songs are really great - I don't find a single one that is mediocre. And Mike's voice has matured through the years and he sounds even better nowdays.

So, let's say something about Omen. :D

"Battle Cry" is one of the best heavy metal albums ever, but I like the same "Warning of Danger" and "The Curse". :D

Interesting I just received "Warning Of Danger", I got the curse probaly delivered on Monday. So far my only contact has been "Eternal Black Dawn" and that one of course kick so much ass it's a shame albums like that are not made every year.

NP: Superchrist - 'My Way Is The Law'