The forgotten albums - thread

Psychonaut said:
There was a band back then called Stormwitch and they had an album called Walpurgis Night. I thought it was a damn fine slab of metal. I had it taped and have never seen it since then.
Forgot about them, too. I purchased their TALES OF TERROR and Gravestone's BACK TO ATTACK at the same time, both of which were my introduction to the respective bands. Great, great German classic metal (perhaps similar to Accept at times). I didn't realize until recently that Stormwitch has a pretty extensive catalogue spanning the past 20 years or so. I only found the few I got on Scratched & Hot Blood Records around the mid 80s, and never saw anything else around here.

MRNot said:
Speaking of Rods, anyone who hasn't yet been "exposed" to the Mentors, YOU AXED FOR IT(?) and UP THE DOSE are not to be missed.. The music is simplistic, but the lyrical bent is some of the most raw, misogynistic hilarity ever perpetrated..

That's some funny stuff! Not something I would listen to allot but they are worth hearing at least once. It's funny that you mention them after the Wild Dogs posts, because Matt McCourt (the original Wild Dogs singer) is now playing with them and he has released a couple of new Mentors discs on his lable (US Metal I think is the lable name). I've not heard them, not sure if it would be the same without El Duce. And speaking of El Duce, it looks like he will forever be a foot note in the history of rock n roll.
For those that don't know, he claimed that Courtney Love offered him 10,000 dollars to kill Kurt Cobain. A short time later El Duce was hit by a train and killed. Truth or not it makes for a great rock n roll story.

MRNot said:
Speaking of Rods, anyone who hasn't yet been "exposed" to the Mentors, YOU AXED FOR IT(?) and UP THE DOSE are not to be missed.. The music is simplistic, but the lyrical bent is some of the most raw, misogynistic hilarity ever perpetrated..
Gee The Mentors! I hadn't heard them in a very long time indeed.:cool:

MRNot said:
Forgot about them, too. I purchased their TALES OF TERROR and Gravestone's BACK TO ATTACK at the same time, both of which were my introduction to the respective bands. Great, great German classic metal (perhaps similar to Accept at times). I didn't realize until recently that Stormwitch has a pretty extensive catalogue spanning the past 20 years or so. I only found the few I got on Scratched & Hot Blood Records around the mid 80s, and never saw anything else around here.

The first 3 Stormwitch releases Walpurgis Night (84), Tales of Terror (85), and Stronger than Heaven (86) were really excellent albums, different than anything I know. They called themselves "Masters of Black Romantik" (whatever that means), I would not at all compare them with Accept though. In fact it is really difficult to compare them with any band I know, it´s simply "evil but romantik". The only criticsm about Stormwitch I have ever heard is Andi´s voice: it is melodic, rather high, some people complain about his voice not beeing "heavy". Anyway, I like it. These albums are not available on CD unfortunately. Nevertheless, there is CD called "Priest of Evil" available with the best songs of the first 3 albums. You should definately check it out ! Also the 2002 comeback album "Dance with the Witches" is surprisingly good. Although only singer Andi is left from the original line up.
Cheerz

Well, STORMWITCH played fine German Heavy Metal. Teir discography is as follows:
Walpurgis night lp / cd
Tales of terror lp
Stronger than heaven lp /cd
The Beauty and the beast lp /cd
Live in Budapest lp/cd
Eye of the storm lp/cd
War of wizards cd
Shogun cd
Priest of evil cd
Dance with the witches cd/lp

Other bands I recomend from the old 80s:
Noisehunter, Killer, Veto, Iron Angel, Evil, Cloven Hoof, Death SS, SDI, Necronomicon, Drakkar, Pokolgep, Ossian, Omen (both USa and Hungary), Galaxy, Cruize, Voodoo, Tarot, OSSY, Cacumen, Gravestone, Stranger, Apocalipsis, Luzbel, Megaton, Thunder Rider, Vavel, Sarissa, Leather Nunn, Dark Knight, Halloween, Vixit, Kraken, Kronos, Rata Blanca, Hermetika, Griffin,
DARKNESS, PROTECTOR, MEKONG DELTA, MAD BUTCHER, MAD MAX, ANGEL DUST, POISON, HOLY MOSES, PARADOX, BRAINFEVER, WALLUP, VIOLENT FORCE, INVADER, THUNDER, HAZZARD, CANNON, CUTTY SARK, KINGDOM, STEELER, DEATHROW, AIRWOLF, BLACK HAWK, BREAKER, CALDERONE, METALSTORM, BATTLEFIELD, RESTLESS, ACCUSER, BLOODY SIX, KREATOR, EXUMER, VENDETTA, ASSASSIN, TANKARD, EXORCIST, BULLDOZER, NECRODEATH..... the list would be endless

If you like Metal Church, Mike Howe's pre-MC band, The Heretic had a release titled "Breaking Point" that was quite good.
David Wayne joined former Heretic bandmates after the first metal church line-up change and created Reverend which was also pretty good.
There was a southern influenced hard rock band similar to Cinderella, but not quite as "poppy" called Tangier that had a release titled "Four Winds" that was pretty cool.
Kiss went badly 80's pop with "Crazy Nights" and a lot of Kiss fans hated it, but despite having 80's radio friendly songs, it was actuaslly very well written and one of the best releases cover to cover they made.
Pagans Mind is a prog-metal band from Norway that released a great CD called "Celestial Entrance." The band is definitely Porg, but the members all have different musical tastes. The guitarist is oldschool and a Van Halen nut, the drummer likes thrash and doom etc. etc. You can hear thrash, 80's metal and prog all in this package. It's one of the few prog CDs I would recommend to metal-heads that don't care for prog. If you "hate" prog don't get it, but if it's just "ok" there is enough oldschool and thrash stuff to make it good for most.

Bryant

metalmaster_14 said:
Well, STORMWITCH played fine German Heavy Metal. Teir discography is as follows:
Walpurgis night lp / cd
Tales of terror lp
Stronger than heaven lp /cd
The Beauty and the beast lp /cd
Live in Budapest lp/cd
Eye of the storm lp/cd
War of wizards cd
Shogun cd
Priest of evil cd
Dance with the witches cd/lp

Ups, hit the reply button too early on the message before .... anyway, @metalmaster_14 you light up my day !!!! I just checked the web, and you are right: Walpurgis Night and Stronger Than Heaven are available on CD. I have both as LP but need them on CD as well. Great ! Thanks for the hint.
Cheerz

yeah, there are cds, but are not much easy to get nowadays, since those are a bit bootleg. Anyway, remember that vinyl rules, the best way to listen to Metal music... :worship:

Two ore for the list:

Killer Khan - "Kill Devil Hills"
Last Chapter - "The Living Waters"

How could I forgot the cream of the crop?

Exorcist - "Nightmare Theatre":worship: :hotjump:

Wow, I have definitely started something there! And here's another forgotten gem from my collection: Kruiz - same. The only English album by this Russian band but nevertheless a masterpiece. If you ever get the chance to lay your hands on this baby don't let it slip away!
Oh, and to remind you all of the somehow forgotten second aspect of this thread: Stay away from Dragon's Fallen Angel. I had an online buddy who urged me as hell to get this record. Well, what can I say - rare does not necessarily mean good! I like Death Metal and I can appreciate bands from countries not very well known for their releases but Poland sure has better acts to offer. Pick up a Vader-record instead!

Is not 80's, but is definitively a forgotten one:

The Organization - "The Organization"

Helstar haven´t been mentioned yet, have they?

"Remnants Of War" and "A Distant Thunder" are some of the best metal albums released in the eighties (and "Burning Star" and "Nosferatu" aren´t bad either). The songs (especially those on "A Distant Thunder") are on a technically high level (though not as complex as those of bands like Watchtower or Sieges Even) and the excellent guitar work (also some great solos) is definitely worth a mention as well as the vocalist, who has a really powerful voice and who actually can sing. Considering the quality of Helstar´s music, it´s a shame they never left underground status. Perhaps they would have sold more albums, if they hadn´t "wasted" their time on good songwriting, but spent it on make-up or some silly image instead!;)

Some more albums which haven´t been mentioned yet (or did I overlook them?):
Hades - Resisting Success (No doubt they did!)
Death Angel - The Ultraviolence
Agent Steel - Skeptics Apocalypse, Unstoppable Force
Mordred - Fool´s Game
Heathen - Breaking The Silence

Burkhard

You are very right about Helstar. They ruled!! My favorites are "Remnants Of War" and "Nosferatu". The last one is very technical.

BTW, you mentioned Sieges Even. Well take a look here

They are back! New album in 2004 and a performance @ Headway 2004.

That's a nice old Thread to jump !!
Here's some records I can think of....

Savage Grace : The Dominatress EP(some of the purest US Metal Ever!)

Stampede : Official Bootleg (great NWOBHM)

China Town : Play it to Death (also great NWOBHM, you gotta be able to stand the higher pitch vocals, but if you do; awesome album)

Loudness : Birthday Eve & Devil Soldier (first 2 Loudness albums sang in Japanese are in fact much heavier than later English work!)

Bodkin : Bodkin (superb 1971 Hardrock from Scotland!)

Silver Mountain : Universe (Swedish Melodic Heavy Metal)

Oz : Fire in the Brain (also Swedish, but Powermetal)

Zoetrope : Amnesty (Metal/Thrash)

Znöwhite : All Hail to Thee EP (Thrash/Crossover/Speed Metal)

Chateaux : Chained and Desperate (NWOBHM with vocals of Steve Grimmit from Grim Reaper)

Liege Lord : Freedom's Rise (US Powermetal)

Exxplorer : Symphonies of Steel (Epic US Powermetal)

Damien Thorne : Sign of the Jakhal (US Powermetal)

Legend : Death in the Nursery (NWOBHM pearl)

Nevermore : Nevermore (just got this EP from 1989, US Powermetal/Thrash, not to be confused by the current Nevermore)