2014* - new and upcoming albums

good track,looking forward to listening the whole album,I always liked them for
their original style, I really hope is as good as "white darkness",thanks for the link

And if I can suggest you something really really prog,check Matthew Parmenter
facebook page and look Discipline's live performance, got no words,super band

For me, most of Nightingale songs are too predictable, almost like "lets make some twist here and there or different kind of sound" and then its prog rock/metal. So far the only album Dan Swano and the co. has made what really impressed me is Edge of Sanity - Crimson II.

It's definitely a guilty pleasure. They're not a prog band by any stretch of imagination. But for people like me who miss 80s rock that wasn't radio friendly, they're more of that. Stuff like Foreigner, Kansas, Magnum and Genesis.

It's definitely a guilty pleasure. They're not a prog band by any stretch of imagination. But for people like me who miss 80s rock that wasn't radio friendly, they're more of that. Stuff like Foreigner, Kansas, Magnum and Genesis.

Yeah, they kind of have that AOR sound going for them at times.

Anyway, I have the album now but only listened through it once, but feel I need to listen through it again for it to really sink in. The first time through I was doing other things at the same time so I wasn't giving it enough attention. Other than that it seems quite solid; however, so far I actually feel that "Forevermore" is my favorite track. Although that could just be because its the track I was already familiar with beforehand and, like I said already, I wasn't giving the album my full attention.

One other thing to note on the subject of the AOR sound. That kind of influence in music is what really got me into Keldian. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHUZ3laTraw

Ne Obliviscaris' sophomore is not my cup of tea, as I've deduced after listening to some samples. I don't like generic and modern sounding metal, except for some genres like traditional prog and power. On the other hand I sometimes / rarely like old-school'ish black metal, and Spectral Lore's new album is just my thing in that regard. I'm quite hard to satisfy concerning symphonic power metal also, yet Equinox's album sounds very good to me now. Yet I have to listen to it thoroughly to ascertain its value. Dark Fortress' new album sounds very "evil". It has a more appealing production and approach for me, than Ne Obliviscaris. Yet I haven't listened to it in full still. Same about Arion - Last of Us. It seems like a enjoyable melodic heavy/symphonic metal album, on my first impression. Nero Di Marte's new album has an awesome sound, but too experimental to my taste. I'll most probably update my top 2014 list with at least one of these. Anyway, it seems better to wait the end of December. :)

"Sounding" was the key word there. Their debut sounded much fresher, both in sound and some other details like intense growlings etc. I got tired when i listened to some samples. In the past, i used to be bored; but now i get tired. Maybe I'm too old for most modern sounds. :) The easiest and best way to put it is "I just don't like the sound", I suppose.

Had a chance to check out the Haken EP and NeO's new album and both are pretty excellent in my opinion. :hotjump:

Citadel just seems to flow better to me than portal of I (no disrespect to that first album which was great).

"Sounding" was the key word there. Their debut sounded much fresher, both in sound and some other details like intense growlings etc. I got tired when i listened to some samples. In the past, i used to be bored; but now i get tired. Maybe I'm too old for most modern sounds. :) The easiest and best way to put it is "I just don't like the sound", I suppose.

I guess you mean modern as in new, the right use of that word.

A lot of people use the word modern to mean a genre of music, and that would be a weird comment for Ne O.

Yes, technically modern stands for another thing, but in spoken language we can use it to mean as in new. I agree. Maybe I'll dig Citadel in the future, and I might get used to the sound. I generally am having problems with "new" bands' second albums, I have no idea why. Maybe they are the results of "we understood our "mistakes" (?) that we did in our debut, now let's make it perfect" attitude. It is just an assumption of course. :)

Have you guys heard this new album The Book of Gates from Amadeus Awad's Eon. It features Russel Allen (among others) on vocals:

Last edited by a moderator: