2014* - new and upcoming albums

Phanto

Alalalalalalalala.
Apr 8, 2005
Gothenburg, SWE
Happy new year and all that!

So which bands will release new stuff this year? Has there been anything worthwhile these first... two weeks?

----------

January:

I've only listened to Alcest so far and I gotta say it sucks. It's pure pop. It sounds like Alcest but the darker contrast is completely gone and with that they lose their magic. Leaked but not released.
It's also the only album up for 2014 on prog archives so far:
http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?syears=2014
Which is weird cuz it's not proggy at all.

Iced Earth released a new one but I won't even bother any more.

Transatlantic will release something but I don't really care since the only song I really like with them is All of the Above and that song is brilliant.

----------

Onward:

Sonata Arctica are making a "return to form" album. I heard a teaser and it actually sounds like their old stuff. Could be good. Slated for March.

Sigh, the japanese weirdo-band, had an amazing last album. They'll release something this year.

Devin Towsend has hyped his latest shit but when is it coming? I don't know!

Antimatter has something slated for December according to metalstorm...

Metalstorm also mentions swedish bands Atoma (I thought they split up?) and Falconer for 2014, but no ETAs.

Anathema is recording at the moment!

Forum-favorite female-fronted folk-rockers Karnataka and Mostly Autumn might have something for 2014.

Steven Wilson has like two releases a year so I suppose we can expect something from him too.

For me, most importantly, this could be the year norwegian folkers Lumsk returns - with a new vocalist!

Will it also be the year Symphony X returns? ... .. .. . haaaah

And will Jari/Wintersun take another decade to produce part 2 of Time?

I am personally really excited for the new Sonata Arctica myself! I am not one who absolutely hated that last few albums; however, I have been hoping for a while that one day they would make another album in vein of their first 3-4 albums.

I had heard a few months back that they were teasing that the new album may be more power metalish but I wasn't holding my breath. But then the other day they announced the album and claimed it would be more akin to the older albums, but on top of all that the band logo on the cover is back to the original design from their early days. I have such high hopes for it that I may end up being disappointed though...

I am still a bit worried that they are only doing this album to appease people and not because they necessarily really want to. All the way up until this new album was recorded they stressed many times that they would never go back to the "old style" again. They did mention that the album was the first time in a while that they recorded all the instruments in the same studio/together, so maybe they had fun with it?

Agalloch will release a new one as well, and Ne Obliviscaris.

And you can't forget Subterranean Masquerade!

Haven't heard the new Alcest yet and expect good things from it, hoping it won't be as mediocre as Phanto suggested. If anything pops up from Devin Townsend, Steven Wilson or Anathema I shall devour it. Opeth is releasing a new album that's supposed to have lots of strings and stuff, sounds awesome. Don't know if anyone here knows/cares about who Damon Albarn is, but I for one adore the guy and expect great things of his solo debut due this year. Then there's also the Sunn0)))/Ulver-collaboration that's coming out next month.

What I'm most excited about is the upcoming Cynic album, though. They've made two tracks available and I love them both, should be a fantastic record.

Wintersun is releasing Time II, and Blind Guardian will release something but the album title hasn't been released. Opeth will be good.

Oh FFS guys you had to murder my wallet again.

Opeth
Agalloch !!!
Anathema? They just killed it on Universal & Weather Systems. Hope for more amazing stuff.
IQ is sweet.
SunO)))/Ulver ! I look forward to that one for sure.
Ne Obliviscaris might be my new up-and-coming favorite.
Sigh is fucked up. And good.
Antimatter's last album was great... more would be nice.
Alcest has finally failed to deliver after nailing it a bunch of times in a row.
DevT (one of the only two valid DTs- the other being Dark Tranq) is usually good.

Sonata Arctica is dead to me, as is Iced Earth. Don't care about them.

Transatlantic I look forward to. If it's like the first two albums, I'll preorder it on LP. If it's like the 3rd one... maybe I'll pass.

ooooooo Agalloch. Now that's a band that rarely fails to deliver something solid.

I hear Opeth will continue in the vein of Heritage (at least in that it won't be death metal). It's a shame but it can still be good.

I've read a bit about the next Blind Guardian. Haven't really listened to them in a long time now. I hope they don't over-orchestrate.

At the Gates just teased something for 2014

New album even after they said they wouldn't do one?

Last edited by a moderator:
^---Kind of a mood-killer when an eerie message like that ends by splitting into recommendations of current chart-topping music videos.

Listened to A Celebration for the Death of a Man.../In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion by Agalloch and The Transfiguration Fear by Sigh since I wasn't too familiar with those bands. Agalloch was pretty damn awesome, will have to get The Mantle. As for Sigh... I don't even know what to say. I don't even know whether I think it's good or bad.

Metalstorm also mentions swedish bands Atoma (I thought they split up?) and Falconer for 2014, but no ETAs.

Don't know why I missed this earlier, but more Atoma would be nice, yes. Hoping whatever they put out next will be mostly instrumental like the first one, that's quite an enjoyable album. I'll also mention Barren Earth since they're working on a new album with a better vocalist now.

Hoping for a new Seventh Wonder album this year but over at that forum the last update seems like it may still be a ways off.

Yeah I'm hopeful about a new Seventh Wonder album this year as well. It just seems like all the band members are busy with other things, like Tommy with Kamelot, and Andreas with whatever it is he does. I'm also excited for a new NeO album, as well as Insomnium, but I don't want to get my hopes too high, just so I don't get unrealistic expectations.

Definitely seems that way based on that video they posted recently. At least they had a couple of rough clips to listen to. Didn't realize Insomnium is recording this year. I found them kind of recently and it's pretty decent stuff overall. Harsh vocals aren't usually my thing but for whatever reason I don't mind it with them quite as much.