2014* - new and upcoming albums

Since a few people have mentioned an enthusiasm for IQ, it's piqued my interest. What would be a good route to go with their albums or should I just get all of it and let it ride?

UH OH OPINIONS INCOMING:

IQ is one of the best prog bands there's ever been. Every one of their albums with Peter Nichols is excellent (that means all of them except for Nomzamo and Are You Sitting Comfortably?).

If you like traditional prog, their debut, Tales from the Lush Attic, is probably the best place to start (it was recently remastered and rereleased, too).

But I think that Ever is one of the best albums ever. It's truly wonderful. There's a lot of albums I'd gladly burn to keep that one.

A.C.T - Circus Pandemonium

Good, but not as good as I was hoping for. Quite simple really: talk tracks ruin albums. Why do musicians still do this? It's as if they lost all artistic sensibilities for a moment when putting the album together. If you can't do a concept album without talky tracks, then guess what - your concept sucks.

Sounds a bit Trainfire-ish, which is one of my favorite songs from Ki.
I assume it's the same female vocalist. She's great.

Sounds a bit Trainfire-ish, which is one of my favorite songs from Ki.
I assume it's the same female vocalist. She's great.

Yup, it's the same singer: Ché Aimee Dorval. From what I remember, Devin's said earlier that the lead vocal duties are about 50/50 between the two of them and that he she's written a lot of the lyrics too this time, cause they had the right vibe for the album.

I went on a Transatlantic marathon yesterday.

It occurred to me that wow, the first two albums are just so much better than the last two. Hearing them all in a row really cemented how much better.

I'll be seeing them sunday in milan and It's gonna be a more than 3 hour set,I can imagine the mosh in "Black a the sky" like Marillion's "Market square hero",Maybe is a pity for the lack of Daniel Gildenlow but I'm sure Ted Leonard will replace him good,tickets are nearly sold out and it's good for a prog gig,I know that most of the attention will be for Portnoy but not in my case,I'm a Morse-Stolt fan

Electric Wizard is now mastering their new album! Looking forward to this!

That's awesome news. Did a little digging and it seems they've had an album ready for like a year but have been involved in some sort of legal battle with Rise Above records and couldn't release it. A bummer, but I'm sure the new one is going to be worth the wait, Witchcult Today is so damn good.

Mastodon!

Yes.

Devin's Casualties of Cool pledge site with the first track available for listening for those who may be interested. I like it:

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/casualties-of-cool

Good song. Nothing mind-blowing but it sounds pretty much like I was hoping it to sound, definitely looking forward to it.

A new Rocket Scientists album was released today out of nowhere.

It's awesome. Classic sounds, timeless melodies. Man, and the tone on that half fretless Stick rules. Best instrument ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember in 2002 seeing Norlander and lana Lane live in italy,not much crowd but an extraordinary gig ,they were very kind with fans ,I had "into the sunset" and "Oblivion days" (stunning records) autographed,looking forward for this new one

ANA-DS_400px.png

Due to be released on 9th June via Kscope, distant satellites is the highly anticipated follow up to 2012’s Weather Systems, recorded at Cederberg Studios in Oslo, with producer Christer-André Cederberg.

The beautifully ethereal artwork was created by Korean new media artist Sang Jun Too and based around his Distant Light Installation
The band released a statement on their new album:

“distant satellites is the culmination of everything ANATHEMA been working up to so far in our musical path. It contains almost every conceivable element of the heartbeat of Anathema music that it is possible to have.

There is beauty, intensity, drama, quietude, and extra musical dimensions that the band have previously only hinted at. All built on the song writing chemistry of Daniel, John and Vincent ~ and the haunting voice of Lee Douglas.

Produced and mixed once again by our very own Christer-André Cederberg (Weather Systems, Universal) and with some songs also mixed by the unassailable Steven Wilson, It's a special and unique release for the band.

ANATHEMA hopes the fans get as much joy from listening to and feeling the music as we did in creating it.”