2014* - new and upcoming albums

new A.C.T was decent but I was left a little disappointed. too much interlude talky stuff.

Yeah, and that's why I can't stand Ayreon or any of the Clive Nolan projects. You want to tell a concept story right? Good. You want to put a script in it? Fuck off. Go be a screen writer. Or a slam poet. Just because it (kind of) worked in Scenes From A Memory doesn't mean it should be applied as a "prog standard", which it seems so many bands are trying to do now.

It's like the prog rock and prog metal formula now is:
::Take 1 part 70s prog
+Metal, if desired
+Conceptz & St0riez, but don't hire an editor and make sure it seems as 14yr old written as possible.
+Weedly guitar solos and keyboard solos for "special effects". Michael Bay! Woo!
+Orchestra. Especially when it's just a freeware keyboard sample library. Oh yes.
+Use odd time signatures
+Occasionally steal riffs from 70s prog mentioned in step 1, call it tribute or homage
+Bake 375 degrees for 70 minutes, since that's the maximum amount of junk we can cram onto a CD.

Thank you bands that do not do this. No really, thanks for actually being progressive.

I was really looking forward to the new Insomnium and somehow forgot it was coming soon. I just happened to come upon it the day after release while browsing the record store. Anyway, as pretty much always its quite good. Their albums are always good at first but as I become more familiar with them I enjoy them even more.

Also, didn't see anyone say it here but the new Opeth is finally dated and titled: Pale Communion/release date June 17th

Yeah, and that's why I can't stand Ayreon or any of the Clive Nolan projects. You want to tell a concept story right? Good. You want to put a script in it? Fuck off. Go be a screen writer. Or a slam poet. Just because it (kind of) worked in Scenes From A Memory doesn't mean it should be applied as a "prog standard", which it seems so many bands are trying to do now.

It's like the prog rock and prog metal formula now is:
::Take 1 part 70s prog
+Metal, if desired
+Conceptz & St0riez, but don't hire an editor and make sure it seems as 14yr old written as possible.
+Weedly guitar solos and keyboard solos for "special effects". Michael Bay! Woo!
+Orchestra. Especially when it's just a freeware keyboard sample library. Oh yes.
+Use odd time signatures
+Occasionally steal riffs from 70s prog mentioned in step 1, call it tribute or homage
+Bake 375 degrees for 70 minutes, since that's the maximum amount of junk we can cram onto a CD.

Thank you bands that do not do this. No really, thanks for actually being progressive.

OK... I don't like that kind of stuff either...

The few songs I sampled of the new Insomnium seem to sound the same as their other stuff...

The same with Mekong Delta...

I still haven't come across the talky stuff you're complaining about...

Do you recall which songs have it?

1. Intro. Entire track.
6. Presentation. Entire track.
8. Argument. Everything after the first 10 seconds.
9. Confrontation. Last bit.

That's too much for me.

By the way the last track, and I noticed this now, is totally ripping off Pain of Salvation.

A.C.T. is an awesome band tho, and Silence and Last Epic are two very underrated albums.

1. Intro. Entire track.
6. Presentation. Entire track.
8. Argument. Everything after the first 10 seconds.
9. Confrontation. Last bit.

That's too much for me.

By the way the last track, and I noticed this now, is totally ripping off Pain of Salvation.

A.C.T. is an awesome band tho, and Silence and Last Epic are two very underrated albums.

Thanks... I also noticed the PoS in that last song...

Track 6 and 8 do suck with that and I didn't hear it in the intro because it was so low in the mix.

My album of the year so far is absolutely Elvenking's The Pagan Manifesto. All their styles and influences (folk, power metal, orchestral, 80s pop influences, a a smidge of emo/metalcore) have finally coalesced into what I think they've been aiming for all along for the past 12 years. It's a much more mature and unique sound, and with all the influences and styles coming together like that, I dare say it produces quite a progresssively-tinged style of metal. I didn't think an Elvenking album would ever be contender for my album of the year, but there just isn't a bad track on this album. It's their best songwriting, best production value, catchiest chorus. All that said, I have no idea if Elvenking is anyone's cup of tea on this forum.

Here's probably the most adventurous of the tracks on the album, and one of my favorites:

Last edited by a moderator:
new act is good but unfortunately new Iq is by far better and gets me totally forget act and also transatlantic

I'm guessing I'm one of the few who don't think much of the new IQ...

They take way too long to get going in most of the songs... I want to fast forward it too much...

I'm guessing I'm one of the few who don't think much of the new IQ...

They take way too long to get going in most of the songs... I want to fast forward it too much...

Go listen to powerviolence, that would be more in tune with your attention span

I might be late on this. Sorry if you all already know. But:

shadows_of_dying_sun.jpg

Insomnium - Shadows of the Dying Sun. :worship: fucking amazing. Easy candidate for album of the year, along with Agalloch, probably Anathema, and IQ.

2014 is looking MUCH improved compared to 2012 & 2013.

Fuck yes, this album is awesome. Can't stop listening to it. :OMG:

They've been putting out nothing but great stuff for a long while now, but I'm finding that I need to be in an increasingly specific mood to really enjoy their music. The lyrics are just so... I mean, in a way they work well but at some points they feel like they've been written by a girl in her early teens or something... but I don't want to rag on them too much 'cause in the end I can't help but like the band.

Danny is into his Deepak Chopra et al. influenced spiritual mumbo jumbo these days, so that with his apparent newly found positive outlook on life is reflected on the lyrics he's written.

I'm not really a lyrics person so I don't really care so much. I just don't share the outlook.

Otherwise the band is in very good form.