2014* - new and upcoming albums

Album of the Year will probably be one of these for me:
10561644_10152590272819898_6207267205347387563_n-320x320.jpg

292259-emp.jpg

002f5324_medium.jpeg

The new Ne Obliviscaris album is absolutely unbelievable. I'm legitimately stunned.

And this is coming from someone who honestly didn't care all that much for Portal of I.

Still can't quite make my mind up about that band. Their music sounds really good at times but the whole melodeath element I've never been into.

^ The best since they kicked Christian out of the band, and perhaps their best to date. The guitar playing is simply stellar on this one and the song writing has really improved compared to their last few albums.

You're nuts. Scar Symmetry is dead. The new album is a caricature of what that band used to be. The lyrics are so fucking terrible I laughed, and the music is just going through the motions. It's a parody of itself. Their last album was shit too. Dark Matter Dimensions was the last good one, and that one suffered from crushed production.

(Philosophical/existential lyrics and tight musicianship, despite a downward trend in production quality)
1. Pitch Black Progress
2. Symmetric In Design
3. Holographic Universe
4. Dark Matter Dimensions
(Now writing extra shitty high school quality SF lyrics and unmemorable riffage)
98. The Unseen Empire
99. The Singularity

^ If I didn't know you better I'd be insulted. Well, let's just say I strongly disagree with that statement and leave it at that. You may have a point on the lyrics though; my first language is not english so I could never bring myself to focus on the lyrics while listening to (most of) my music, so I still have no idea how good/bad they are on this one.

I agree with Ken. SS's early stuff was strong, although not listenable for me. Holographic Universe was great and i listened to it for quite a long time. And I completely agree about their last 3 albums with Kenneth.

vs.

Just compare the clean vox. It's like listening to Opeth's smarter tracks vs listening to Nightwish in their gayer moments, or One Direction singing about space ships. WTF is that synth patch? The 1980s called, but they didn't know how to leave a message on their rotary phone.

Also:

What happened to THIS band? The video sucks but.... the band that made "Neohuman" is not the same band. And the intro riff to Chaosweaver > Everything they've made since 2006.

I think Scar symmetry has more in common with these tools than it does with Dark Tranquillity now.

Just to hammer it home one last time and beat a dead horse.

Scar Symmetry now:

Scar Symmetry then:

They used to be interesting and intelligent, with some original ideas and great musicality. Now they're a bad joke "product" for mass consumption. And I'm not talking about popularity, I'm talking about image and intent.

Last edited by a moderator:
just received new transatlantic live blu ray,"kaliveoscope",amazing gig,great in everything,shot with many cameras,really a must for prog fans

thy play the entire "kaleidoscope","my new world" and "we all need some light"from the first cd, a good medley from "whirlwind",a long medley "all of the above-stranger in your soul",plus 1 hour extra while they're on tour and other 3 tracks played only in tillburg ,"nights in white satin "and "sylvia-hocus pocus" with Focu's member, more than 4 hours of material, blu ray is very well filmed with many views from many angles,worth the price (20 euros)

sweet post Ken.

god damn when you're really in the mood for Dark Tranq, they can be so fuckin good.

I was never a big fan of scar symmetry. they have a few catchy refrains but that's it.
worst of all those angsty clean/scream/growl mixing nu-ish bands is Into Eternity.

I remember seeing Into Eternity open for Dark Tranquillity. Ho man that was funny. Their frontman never faced the audience once. He would pop a diva scream randomly just to please himself.