2014* - new and upcoming albums

Thanks for explaing why I'm such a terrible fan because I don't like their new direction...

I don`t say that fans are terrible, cause they don`t like the new direction. They are terrible, because they`re complaining and bitching how it sucks all time. I don`t understand you - I love nitpicking and when I hate something, I usually use dozens of arguments why it`s so bad, not just saying "piece of shit". If you ask me about Prometheus movie I will write like an entire review to explain why it`s sensless, pointless, boring and just awful. Here fans' expressions are usually just pure discontent with no real meaning behind it.

When I discover DWoT and other classic SX albums for the first time I thought it`s just crap, but after an year and few more listenings I found out that some of them are amazing (especially DWoT, V). Following the logic of the fans, I should just write here "Russell`s singing on Damnation Game is squeaky, he sounds like an eunuch" and "Lyrics on Odyssey are so bad they gave me cancer, no more true Symphony X ;_; RIP"

Oh, and I also deify those "SX nowadays sounds like Pantera" thing. Just listen to the King of Terrors and tell me that the main riff does not sound like ripped alive from a Pantera song. I`ve never heard any other Pantera similarities in newer SX material.

By the way, for the first few months I also hated last three albums of myGRAIN and I was thinking "No more myGRAIN again, they killed that band" and now... I love all of them except the last one, not in my style (but not horrible or "shitty" or "medicore" or "unoriginal").

Over time I've retained my liking for the people (who very rarely, nowadays) pop in to discuss something - off-topic or music, doesn't matter. That's why I'm around. I am a little excited about SX' new album and such news, of course -- I still enjoy much of their music -- but that's not why I'm here. The same, I wager, is the case with many other people here with registration dates before 201X.

No-one that I know on this forum hates the albums in question. They just dismiss them as 'meh.' Many of them really like the proggy & neo-classical stuff, however.

How is it flawed, its the same if you get used to some flavor on ice cream for example and suddenly they change it, you feel like complaining but in the end you just have to accept and live with it.

That part is dead-on.

I was saying that the reason people don't like PL/IC might not be what you wrote. Not for everyone, anyway.

&Phanto... yeah definitely about the pre 201x thing.

I feel really sorry for Symphony X, their fans are terrible. The only things that you can do is complaining and complaining "Iconoclast so shitty" or "Iconoclast is the same as PL but with horrible vocal/shitty lyrics". Sometimes I`m wondering did you even hear that album.

It`s funny, cause I have no friends listening to SX or even metal and this is the only place where I can discuss about this band. And you know what? I can`t. There`s no point of saying how I love these 2 new albums, here they are 100% hated.

Anyway, did you ever heard of myGRAIN? This is my second favourite band, absolutely best Death Metal band in the history. Fast, sharp, heavy, very melodic, catchy as hell, stunning clean vocals & growl, lyrics that make absolutely no goddam sense (but some of them are really amazing), rocking riffs and original keyboard sound. They are working on the new album and now we know almost nothing, but they posted few things about on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/MyGrain

Woah woah Mr. BootyBefuddled, sorry we're not creaming ourselves over metalcore lello,

y dont u try some real death metal, if your anus can HANDLE IT

Me I'm pretty hardcore, so this doesn't scare me

Last edited by a moderator:
All that matters.

74684c605f0d3d11ba6ada3764a90b0d.jpg

Woah woah Mr. BootyBefuddled, sorry we're not creaming ourselves over metalcore lello,

y dont u try some real death metal, if your anus can HANDLE IT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtzb0FTN4BE

Me I'm pretty hardcore, so this doesn't scare me

Aaah... okay

The song is pretty boring to me, when it comes to instrumental I`m more into something like this - http://www.myfreemp3.cc/artist/Derek Sherinian/Black Utopia/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MArxKI9D63c

This is the "real death metal" and it`s also boring, TRV METAL is pretty repetitive.

Voyager's new album V is great. Similar to their previous work The Meaning of I. Great summer album. I love hearing electronic pop tunes in summer from outside cafes etc., when I'm taking a walk by the shore. But this one is a great metal album with pop touches, that I can listen and enjoy at home also.

I actually just discovered this band with V. I probably have heard of them before in the past but just never made an effort to listen to them.

Anyway, I am really loving this band! V is quite good; however, it takes until about halfway through the album for some of the more atmospheric stuff to present itself. I have since obtained the two previous albums and feel I actually like them a bit better than the new album, even though I still really like it.

I haven't gotten a chance yet to really listen to their really early stuff so I can't really judge the newer albums in that regard as Kenneth was stating he really only like the first 2 albums.

As for Voyager, the first album is unlistenable for me, Univers was great. I don't remember I am the Revolution too much, and their last 2 albums are fantastic. They are very listenable and interesting for me.

Yes. It is debatable, but their new style is quite rare, i must say. Their previous era was more dependent on atmospheric doom stuff, and there had been lots of bands doing that at that time. In the end, their new style is more powerful and different (in a negative way for me, it either creates disturbance in my psychology, or bores me. Maybe in time, I'll like new Anathema better. :) )

Plus, saying "unique" to a band requires knowing hundreds of thousands bands. But we are not doing scientific stuff here, and i don't see any wrong in such statements drawn from our knowledge and experience.

Voyager was kind of unique (kind of) early on. Later albums are pretty much your standard prog metal / power metal fare with keyboards.

That's the strange thing for me though, as some years ago I started growing a bit bored with a lot of the newer "standard" progressive metal as a lot of bands were coming out and not differentiating themselves. But when I randomly clicked on Voyager on YouTube something about it just really jived with me. I understand that for the most part they aren't doing anything groundbreakingly new and have a lot of the standard elements you are talking about. There is just something about them that has reinvigorated my desire for prog metal. Maybe it was just the right time and that YouTube video of the full album of V just happened to pop up for all I know?

???

Doesn't Voyager make electro-pop or something now? That sounds kind of cool.