2014* - new and upcoming albums

too bad cuckoo's nest didn't play faster. pretty good.
I hope vallendusk releases another album this year.

weird drum sound on soar, but I really like it anyway.

Yeah I get that. I don't mind though because I just like it lol. The drums do sound weird. The vocal style is different to me, at least when compared with other black metal style bands.

The drums sound awesome. Definitely different from what I'm used to hearing with these black folk bands, but it works. Did not know of this band/project before, thanks for the pointer.

the perfect BM, to me, are drums like heavy rain on a big empty tincan - a fast non-stopping patter; guitars soaring like an electric orchestra possessed by the devil providing the only real melody; bass creating an indiscernible murmur, at times peeking out to hoot like an owl; vocals like the screams of a dying elk. no clean vocals and preferably no orchestrations. mmm.

^ do you like woods of desolation?

not sure if this fits into what you described, but still good imo

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, my copy of the new Anathema came in today, and so far, I really like the first 4 tracks. The first 2 do make me think of both Untouchable songs from Weather Systems, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I only had time to listen to it (Distant Satellites) once so far, but it is definitely a good one once again.

the songs Anathema and You're Not Alone are two of the worst Anathema songs I've heard, which is a shame because they blot an otherwise perfectly fine album.

@donKyle the vocals sound a bit too thinned-out but it's certainly not bad.

Yeah those 2 are easily the weaker tracks on the album. I really like the last 2- distant satellites and take shelter. they blend nicely, and it's just a great finish.

EDIT: I'm not really a huge fan of the lost song part 3....I kinda like the self titled song better

I really like the album music-wise, but the lyrics and vocals are just a bit too "emo" for me. But yeah, otherwise a good album ...

I don't mind the electronic stuff too much. I would agree that they could have done more with it, but it's somewhat different I guess, and I don't think it takes away from the album

Anubis Gate - Horizons

My favorite prog metal album so far this year, and probably my fav album overall in 2014. It's definitely their strongest effort yet, being over one hour of very solid material. Usually albums that are this long have weaker songs (their other albums included) but I feel this is not the case here.

So I just finished listening to the new Anathema. Most of it was underwhelming 'cause it just sounded like Weather Systems with inferior songwriting. By the time I was getting to the end I was starting to think they'd chucked it, as the only truly redeeming moment of the album had been the climax at the end of the self-titled track, but damn, those last two songs were brilliant! The title track especially, I reckon it's one of the best songs they've ever done.

All in all a so-so album with a great finish, encouraging in the sense that it leaves you feeling like they still have places to go.

Voyager's new album V is great. Similar to their previous work The Meaning of I. Great summer album. I love hearing electronic pop tunes in summer from outside cafes etc., when I'm taking a walk by the shore. But this one is a great metal album with pop touches, that I can listen and enjoy at home also.

The great Enchant is also gonna release their new album after 11 years. Quite excited to hear that one.