I aquired Still Life yesterday...

Rusty

A-HAHAHA!
Sep 14, 2001
Nottingham
...and it's not as good as Morningrise, and here's why:

1. It's not as progressive as Morningrise

2. The growling is closer to croaking rather than screaming

That's not to say that it's a bad album, 'cos it's still really good. Near the end of Serenity Painted Death, when it goes back into 'White face, haggard grin', the guitars are amazing. The best songs on it are The Moor and Benighted.

And, just who is Melinda???

I am bedazzled that you have consumed 'STILL LIFE' in 1 day! I believe I only really start to hear a piece of music, especially Opeth, after many listens...you pick up extras, like, those goose bump inducing growls in the background within the entrance of 'The Moor'...and the way Mikael sounds 'frantic lustahhh' in 'Godhead's Lament', not to mention the musical sounds, but I could go on forever, enjoy!

well, I mean that Still Life is one of the best Opeth albums... after Morningrise and Orchid that is :)
the reason is 'cuz thay are so much more progressiv, and the acustic parts are just SO great
but then again thay are great on Still Life to...
hmmm... maybe I have to reconsider wich is the best album harr harr :D

Originally posted by Jo
I am bedazzled that you have consumed 'STILL LIFE' in 1 day! I believe I only really start to hear a piece of music, especially Opeth, after many listens...you pick up extras, like, those goose bump inducing growls in the background within the entrance of 'The Moor'...and the way Mikael sounds 'frantic lustahhh' in 'Godhead's Lament', not to mention the musical sounds, but I could go on forever, enjoy!

Listen to the lovely lady. Once you get to know it I'm pretty sure you'l start to think differently about it :)

Alright. Time to get a few things straight.

Firstly, I LIKE Still Life. It's pretty damn good. The point I was making, is that AT THIS MOMENT I still prefer Morningrise.

Secondly, I did mean to put that this was only my first impression, but I got carried away.

Thirdly, when I first listened to Morningrise, it instantly became my favourite album - ever. It seemed to just fit so good. With Still Life, it didn't click like Morningrise did.

Now, I'd just like to reinforce point one - I LIKE STILL LIFE!

Is that better? :D

Originally posted by rustymetal
Alright. Time to get a few things straight.

Firstly, I LIKE Still Life. It's pretty damn good. The point I was making, is that AT THIS MOMENT I still prefer Morningrise.

Secondly, I did mean to put that this was only my first impression, but I got carried away.

Thirdly, when I first listened to Morningrise, it instantly became my favourite album - ever. It seemed to just fit so good. With Still Life, it didn't click like Morningrise did.

Now, I'd just like to reinforce point one - I LIKE STILL LIFE!

Is that better? :D

nope :p , yeah i think everyone understood that anyway, but one days listen of any album compared to years of another kinda means that your gonna like the one you've heard for years. its come to a point now with me that my favourite opeth album is the one i've last heard, most of the time.

alas, we also got carried away...rampant haste posting...did not mean to jump down your thread, enjoy!

I did only get Morningrise a few weeks ago, but I suppose that I haven't stopped listening to it 'til I got Still Life. Anyway, it's only my opinion. :)

Hey, I posted my own acquiring Still Life thread, didn't see this one. Me, I can't critique a new cd without listening to it at least, say anywhere from 8-12 times.

After reading the replies, I agree with what Jo says...I know that I can't "consume" this entire cd in with only a few listens.

Originally posted by Jo

I agree, something fishy is going on here....

When I first heard Still Life I thought it was boring and it sounded like the other ones but like after 2 weeks I worked the album in and it sounded amazing! I mean every song on that cd is pure fuckin brilliance,when I buy a cd for the first 3 weeks I listen to nothing but that cd (besides mp3) and it becomes a part of me in some way.Last year I used to walk to my girlfriends house and I had MAYH playing in my walkman,whenever I listen to that cd it brings back memories which were happy and sad,Opeth is such an awsome band, there like candy ya cant get enough!;)

I think that Morningrise is definetly the worst album...the sound on the CD is terrible...

But its not a bad cd oofcourse! It seems that Opeth cant make bad things?

Where do you get that? It sounds fine to me.. the guitars aren't muddy like they can be at times in MAYH, and it's less raw than Orchid (which has been playing a LOT here)..

I'll check that out tonight. While the best production is generally considered to be that on Still Life and Blackwater Park, Morningrise has a definite atmosphere that surrounds it, which makes it a great album to listen all the way through (as most Opeth albums are..).

Enjoy them all, they're all totally unique and worthy of equal praise, love and repeated listenings. :p

I agree, Duvall. I love Morningrise's sound. I like Orchid's better but in actuality they are really quite similar. The guitar sound on Morningrise seems a bit more crunchy, not as smooth. After Morningrise the production gets just a tad too muddy for my taste. I love being able to hear all the instruments and all the parts distinctly.