Still Life

DoReMi

Sep 3, 2002
Brussels/ Belgium
www.globaldomination.se
Undoubtedly one of Opeth's finest moments. However, the entire experience is completely ruined by the piss-poor production job. At times during The Moor, Face of Melinda and Serenity Painted Death (one of my all-time favourites), the sound becomes "muffled". I don't know what it is, but it is the same with the mp3's I have of the album, and incredibly aggravating. I bought my copy in the U.S. I live in Europe, and therefore have an European CD player, although this, I doubt, has anything to do with it. Is it the same with everyone else? It's been bugging me for a while, as I often find myself simply turning the damn thing off after a couple of minutes, which is a shame, as I find it stands out amongst the best (Deliverance and MAYH... don't think much to BWP, although it is a good album).

I always thought the production was perfect on it actually!

But in this month's terrorizer magazine it has a peaceville ad which has Still Life on it, and apparently they've remastered and reissued it as a digipack. So maybe you might want to seek that out if it's annoying you that much.

Yeah. Might aswell. Is it out now? Listening to BWP now, and I take back what I said. Great album. I will say, however, that it doesn't quite stand up to other releases... or maybe it does... hang on... haha!!

The problems I had with the album were The Drapery Fall and the drawn out song Dirge for November, but now I see that the latter completely adds to the atmosphere of the album. Yeah, I'll stick to my guns and say that along with Still Life, it doesn't quite measure up. Although both albums are absolutely excellent.

yeah,when is this digi out.im hoping for new artwork and maybe a nice embossed sleeve.

I agree with you. I've noticed some poor production on BWP even though I have the new release with the extra bonus songs (don't know it the album it self has been re-mastered?)

Yeah, this topic has already appeared countless times.

During the recording of Still Life there was some fuck up with the mastertapes... they tried to eliminate the problems but couldn't get rid of all of them. It's like the sound in the right speaker is crackling and fading at times.
You can especially hear those production faults when listening to the album with headphones.

But I'd never even think about turning it off because of those problems... the album IMO is way to good for that.

Fifth_Horseman-
Yeah, this topic has already appeared countless times.

:err:

Well then...SHAME ON ME. I've heard only praise for Still Life's production. HUH!

"It's like the sound in the right speaker is crackling and fading at times. You can especially hear those production faults when listening to the album with headphones." Really! Hm...now that curiosity has set in, I'll be gearing up with the headphones after work for an exclusive Still Life journey.

Hopkins, I think the cut off in SPD is intentional. I read somewhere that Mikael was tired of ordinary song endings and decided to cut off the song unexpectedly.

If true, thats a miserable idea. A bad ending for one of the best songs of all time!

Originally posted by Fifth_Horseman
... they tried to eliminate the problems but couldn't get rid of all of them. It's like the sound in the right speaker is crackling and fading at times.
You can especially hear those production faults when listening to the album with headphones.

Especially with headphones. Yes folks, it is true. There are a couple of flaws in the production. I think it only happens twice though. I could tell all of you on what songs and at what time these fuck ups occur next time I listen to that album with headphones. They don't bother me though. I think the overall production is great on that album. Have any of you that question the production quality and compare between albums ever considered the fact that they use different effects on every album? They wanted the guitars to sound muddy on that album, that's why they used the cheapest distortion pedal ever made. The BOSS Distortion DS-1 pedal. That along with Gibson guitars makes for a raw sound that is perfect for that album on a musical level and for the subject matter. Perfect. The mix is just fine. Peaceville isn't Sony. Now if you want to talk about bad production let's talk about MAYH. I realize that it's supposed to sound very raw for effect too, but the bass levels really fuck up the mix. Whether it's in my car, or at home, or when wearing headphones, I have to turn the bass down alot to prevent distortion, or in the case of my home stereo which handles bass well, to hear the guitars. No further complaints on that one though. It's great, but just a little less bass in any future re-masterings would be nice.

Originally posted by midwintertears
Hopkins, I think the cut off in SPD is intentional. I read somewhere that Mikael was tired of ordinary song endings and decided to cut off the song unexpectedly.

If true, thats a miserable idea. A bad ending for one of the best songs of all time!
It's a great ending to one of the greatest songs off of Opeth's best album. That cut is very narrative. The whole album is a story, and even without the lyrics you can still feel the emotional rollercoaster the protagonist feels. I always felt that that was a brilliant way to end that song in particular. But that's just my opinion.

I personally think it's alright for the most part too but I do get the muffled thing..

Personally though it's in my top five albums of all time... it's so fucking amazing.

BWP has great production I think... though my favorite productions jobs have been ones from Devin Townsend.

Brandon

Yeah almost always listen to opeth on my Grado's because I don't have a very good stereo at my house (too much of a hassle while in school and coop). I've noticed that the mp3's I had of Still Life had a few spots where one of the headphones would muffle a bit. I found Still Life today at a local record store and picked it up. Seems as though the glitches are gone. Perhaps they have remastered it. I'll let you know for sure once I listen to it front to back.