Still Life

It was hard as hell for my to locate a copy of Still Life. I got it in 2000, before I ever knew of theendrecords. Anyone else have difficulty finding it in a store?

Difficulty isn't the word I'd use. More like impossible. I couldn't find anything in 2000 in stores (here) except MAYH. It's always the one you already have. :rolleyes:

Diso-
"..sound muting is still very much apparent in The Moor in the right headphone.."

:err: I think it's time I refreshed my home headphones. I listened to The Moor last night VERY CAREFULLY and even muted the left side. All I heard was a killer tune and cymbals crashing. Like I said last night, they tried to fix it (like 5th Horseman said) and I think they did just that.

It's not that I'm so board that I want to sit on the floor with headphones and try to find recording errors by my favorite band. It's more like I want to know for myself. If it's been mentioned "countless times" I may want to investigate.

What brand of headphones you guys prefer?

BlackParagon-
"Now if you want to talk about bad production let's talk about MAYH. I realize that it's supposed to sound very raw for effect too, but the bass levels really fuck up the mix. Whether it's in my car, or at home, or when wearing headphones, I have to turn the bass down a lot to prevent distortion, or in the case of my home stereo, which handles bass well, to hear the guitars. No further complaints on that one though. It's great, but just a little less bass in any future re-masterings would be nice."

As Teal'c would say: Indeed. It still remains a favorite. I love the ideas Mike had in that album...the flow of emotions it invokes. I think it sounds killer if you tune it a bit. Most times, I have to tune every album a little differently anyway, but MAYH definitely requires less bass than most.

Reactions: BlackParagon
Ive noticed the odd moment in The Moor many times. It seems like i need to yawn so my ears pop, but i keep reminding myself that its the song... The first 10 times i would make myself yawn, but then i noticed i would have to yawn at the same part of the song every day =-p...

Originally posted by DoReMi
Undoubtedly one of Opeth's finest moments. However, the entire experience is completely ruined by the piss-poor production job.

You're complaining about a few seconds in each song you mentioned (presumably, everyone else only hears it in "The Moor") where the mastering process got fucked up. This ruins the whole album? That's pretty picky...

Everyone is talking about how Still Life is now "fixed." Well, there are only two cd versions until the digipack is released...the original from 1999 and the reissue with the slipcase in 2000.

I have the slipcase version, and it still has all the little "errors" that keep making these threads come up every other week. So whoever said that their version is fixed is tricking themselves.

Still, the problems in "The Moor" is pretty irritating, can't say it ruins the whole album though. Does anyone know for sure if the new digipack Still Life really is remixed/remastered ? I would care much more for the problems in "The Moor" to be fixed than some half-shitty quality bonus demotrack like those on Orchid and Morningrise...

Originally posted by Lunatic_Fringe
Ive noticed the odd moment in The Moor many times. It seems like i need to yawn so my ears pop, but i keep reminding myself that its the song... The first 10 times i would make myself yawn, but then i noticed i would have to yawn at the same part of the song every day =-p...

That's exactly what I'm talking about. That sensation right there. Thanks for describing it so fully.

Originally posted by Mr. Niel
You're complaining about a few seconds in each song you mentioned (presumably, everyone else only hears it in "The Moor") where the mastering process got fucked up. This ruins the whole album? That's pretty picky...

In Face of Melinda, it lasts for no longer than a second, so it doesn't really matter much. But with The Moor, it keeps going from muted to normal for like 2 minutes, and that, to me, is incredibly aggravating. You may still think that I'm being picky, but such half-assed production jobs should not be made. It really takes away the experience for me. Just my two cents.

Mr. Neil-
Everyone is talking about how Still Life is now "fixed." Well, there are only two cd versions until the digipack is released...the original from 1999 and the reissue with the slipcase in 2000. I have the slipcase version, and it still has all the little "errors" that keep making these threads come up every other week. So whoever said that their version is fixed is tricking themselves.

Everyone? Who's everyone? I don't see any other responses in this thread were the word fixed was used except my own and that was used rather loosely. (my apologies) And "whoever said that." Why not take 10 seconds and get the names so there's no question who you're responding to/complaining about. So, let's say you're only talking about what I said which was...

Opet-
"I listened to The Moor last night VERY CAREFULLY. All I heard was a killer tune and cymbals crashing. Like I told myself last night, they tried to fix it and I think they did just that."

I was referring to what 5th Horseman wrote:
"During the recording of Still Life there was some fuck up with the mastertapes... they tried to eliminate the problems but couldn't get rid of all of them."

Please, don't misunderstand me. I don't doubt that there is a flaw in the mastertapes still and I'm not assuming they were literally FIXED. I'm only noting that if they did do what they could before they were released to make it better(fixed), then I think they did a pretty good job.

Are we on the same wave now? I see that so much. "someone said...blah blah blah" and the first thing I think is you're on the same thread and it's not like there's 100 responses. You remembered them saying it the first time, so get the names straight and people can see who the hell you're referring to. It only helps make your point that much more clear?

Originally posted by Opet
I see that so much. "someone said...blah blah blah" and the first thing I think is you're on the same thread and it's not like there's 100 responses. You remembered them saying it the first time, so get the names straight and people can see who the hell you're referring to. It only helps make your point that much more clear?

Oh okay....

Originally posted by Opet
Like I said last night, they tried to fix it and I think they did just that.

It's not that I'm so board that I want to sit on the floor with headphones and try to find recording errors by my favorite band. It's more like I want to know for myself. If it's been mentioned "countless times" I may want to investigate.

and

Originally posted by diso
I found Still Life today at a local record store and picked it up. Seems as though the glitches are gone. Perhaps they have remastered it. I'll let you know for sure once I listen to it front to back.

Other people have made these claims in similar "Still Life's Production" threads, Mr. Picky.

My point is, a few mastering flaws (not production), while irritating, shouldn't ruin Still Life, because it is badass. And none of these flaws have been fixed yet, since the digipak has not been released by Peaceville yet.

Here's what Mike has to say:

"Arrghh!
Yes, it's an DAT error...something happened with the DAT while we were mixing the album. Nobody noticed at first, then Anders from In flames heard these "drop outs"...they we're all over the place at first, but we managed to cut some of it out in the mastering...still that part couldn't be helped and I HATE listening to it! While I'm on the subject of recording errors...a lot of people have asked us about the ending of "Serenity painted death"...yes, it was meant to be there! Nobosy seem to think it's cool apart from myself and the band.

Cheers
Mike"

from this thread:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1842

I have no problem with the production on Still Life. Now MAYH, Morningrise, and Orchid on the other hand.... Ermmm.... great albums, terrible production. I think BP has the best production of them all though. Deliverance's overall sound quality is good I guess, but I don't like the songs at all.

Originally posted by skyshock1
I have no problem with the production on Still Life. Now MAYH, Morningrise, and Orchid on the other hand.... Ermmm.... great albums, terrible production.
I agree. Still Life and Deliverance are the only two Opeth albums with awesome production IMO. BWP is good as well, but a little too slick-sounding for me.

Mr. Niel-
"Other people have made these claims in similar "Still Life's Production" threads, Mr. Picky."

Hey, if I have to choose between being misunderstood or being seen as picky, then so be it. And that's Miss Picky. ;)

The two quotes you've got there, aren't they about two different things? Diso's talking about a remastered Still Life that he thinks he bought the other day, and well...you know what I was trying to say. RIGHT?

"My point is..."

I know what your point is. I understood it the first time, I just didn't explain that I did. It's a very understandable point! I totally agree. If the album is not as good to some only because of these flaws, then what can I say? There should be a warning on the label: "Don't Listen With Headphones!" :lol: It IS a great album and this thread is the first I've ever heard of any complaints about the mastering. So you see, this is all news to me.

"And none of these flaws have been fixed yet, since the digipak has not been released by Peaceville yet."

Maybe this is what Diso was hoping to have purchased the other day? Wasn't there a set of remastered ones released already with Orchid and MAYH? Is this going to be a 3rd release of Still Life?

Thanks for the quote BTW.

kiss.gif

ACK! What'd they do to UM! It's so....FOREIGN! ::looks around a bit:: Hey...this is kind of cool.