Top 3 bands of 2009

noren

Pixel coordinator
Jan 9, 2002
Alingsås, Sweden
www.progart.com
Would be fun if everyone posted their top 3 performances of the weekend.

Mine.

1 - Nahemah
This concert does without a doubt reach my top 5 of all performances on ProgPower EVER. They were awesome last time, but since I like the new album much more than the first one it kicked even much more ass this time around. I was totally in heaven. Bring them back again next year haha!

2 - I still can't spell or say the name byt Aqwhezya or something :)

Probably the most surrealistic thing I have ever experienced on a stage. I have to admit, I would never buy a CD by them. The music is to strange for my taste, but seeing this thin beautiful woman, playing her piano and then just stand up and growl...WOW, what can I say. I was shocked... in a good way of course :) This was the band that was my only certain "beer pause" during the festival... but they showed that a good show is just as important as good music. The surprise of the weekend..together with the fact that the breakfast at De Berckt was a lot better than it usually is!

3 - Cloudscape
I just love them. STUPID MOTHERFUCKERS. I STILL NEED TO KILL MIKE!!!!! :lol:

All in all, musically I don't think this years festival was as good as last years festival. But last year was probably the best ever so...

Top 3 from me?

Well, easy.

1. Akphaezya. Yes. Darek, Chris and Martyna are almost certainly bored of me right now, as I was running around almost ecstatic, shouting that they rock all the time. For me it was probably the most incredible performance I have experienced on ProgPower and one of most magical in general. Nehl is fantastic, and the music itself matches my taste perfectly. Besides, they have a car that smells cheese. How cool is that?
2. Vanity. Far better than I expected. I can bet that we'll hear more about them. A big surprise.
3. Hacride. Heavy road flattener. Mmmm.

Ah, did I mentioned Akphaezya?

:D

1. Hacride. When I saw them last year they were a really insecure band, the singer was constantly singing at the floor and they didn't really manage to set the correct atmosphere. This year I dislocated just about every bone in my neck and head, they were tight as hell and they managed to make the whole thing really atmospheric. They completely killed every band this year.
2. Seventh wonder. Also my second time I saw them, the first time was the concert they apologised for halfway through the show.
3. Akphaezya. They were surprising, and I really loved Achmed the drumming-terrorist.

Generally I liked most bands, with the exception of Enochian Panic attack.

1. Akphaezya (what they said)
2. Andromeda (long time no see (although I see everything!))
3. tied between Vanity (nice surprise) and Seventh Wonder

1. Andromeda (one of the best live performing musicians I've ever seen! )
2. Can't choose between Hacride and Evergrey, although their style is totally different, musically they are both amazing!
3. Akphaezya

Im probably a softy but here it is:
1. Seventh Wonder
2. Andromeda
3. Evergray

I might have been a sound-mixing thing, but most of the heavy bands sounded a bit the same to me, couldn't really hear every note, more like one wall of sound (even though some guys say it's supposed to be that way, I prefer hearing exactly what everybody does, so). Might have been because I was standing as far to the front as I could every time. Or maybe I should have listened more to the bands before ProgPower!
What about a ProgPower album that releases BEFORE the festival?

1. Andromeda - Amazing show, one of the bands I had the highest expectations of and they were ALL met! (@ Jonathan: Suske & Wiske en de Dronken Drummer :D)
2. Akphaezya - THE surprise of the festival
3. Tied between Hacride and Seventh Wonder, because they were both pretty much flawless.

I would also rank the performance of the Australians in the basement during the afterparties (who knew a single man could stomach so much Flugel) and the drummer of Seventh Wonder's strip-act in our room at the Berckt amongst the best performances of this year :p

I really appreciated Nahemah and Chaos Divine! Unfortunately, I missed many bands Saturday and we had to go back to France Sunday...
Hope you all enjoyed the festival, the atmosphere was so funny! I had a very good time at the after party!
See you

1. Seventh Wonder, the only band I knew in advance (shame on me!), great energy from the stage!
2. Mercenary, heavy and a pretty awesome live show
3. Evergrey, I know all the people who have seen them before didn't like this show, but I did! Just who plays 4 'instrumental breaks' in a just over one hour show!

1. Cloudscape; They really surprised me. I knew some music, but this was good!
2. Mercenary; Great energy, bashing and banging from the start!
3. Andromeda; Very good show, and a singer who's actually better live than on record!

1. HACRIDE: by far the best show I've seen this year, immensely tight, atmospheric and heavy.
2. Mercenary: fucking metal, hell yeah!
3. Seventh Wonder: excellent revenge for the Headway gig, superb music.

A late afternoon sitting on a bench in Sijwa with a pizza, a beer and Evergay/gery/grey acoustic on stage offered a new definition of heavenly bliss.

1. Seventh Wonder - world class melodic progmetal - tighter than my stomach against my belt after the after-show and really seemed to be enjoying themselves.
2. Andromeda - band most looking forward to and wasn't disappointed
3. Prospect - biggest surprise of the weekend for me - their cd sold out, so must have impressed others.

Also loved Neverland but as we shared rooms with them I could be accused of prejudice! Mercenary were great too - so much testosterone on one small stage - impressive!

(NB: Rene has accepted his failure to ever convert me to the growlies!!)

Another great weekend onstage and offstage - congrats and thanks to everyone involved and everyone I shared a beer with.

Roll on 2010...

1.) Andromeda! (Despite the sound being not really good in front of the stage) As Christer put it right: this is the fucking definition of Progressive Metal!
2.) Hacride! by far the biggest surprise, brutally grooving with atmosphere and complex rhythms (and it seemed to be a session drummer :OMG:)
3.) Evergrey (second biggest surprise: them playing 'When the Walls go Down')

honorary surprise mentions:
- Vanity, those young guys should be huge in some years, so much potential!
still searching my collection and memory for this King Crimson tune...
- Prospect, dunno why, but I loved their sound and bought a CD.
...but missed both bands at the after party...
- Enochian Theory for being just 'refreshingly different'...
- Knight Area for some beautiful Neo Prog on sunday 'morning' :)

flawless 'metal' shows by Seventh Wonder, Cloudscape and Mercenary as well!

biggest disappointment by far: missing Akphaezya :cry:

hey red, why didn't You say hello, You promised me a beer!?!? ;)

No "top 3" for me, I can't choose, my highlights:

Cloudscape
Akphaezya
Mercenary
Neverland
Evergrey