Top Ten Atmospheric Black Metal Albums

RedinTheSky

Jan 16, 2007
Joliet,Illinois
Post 'em here. I don't care if they strictly fall under the category of atmospheric.

Burzum - Hvis lyset tar oss
Burzum - Filosofem
Summoning - Minas Morgul
Summoning - Dol Guldur
Blut Aus Nord - Ultima Thulee
Shape Of Despair - Shades Of ...
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Enslaved - Below The Lights
Wolves in The Throne Room - Two Hunters
Darkspace - Darkspace II

Ulver's debut should be included in this one. Blut Aus Nord debut is one of my favourite albums lately. Negura Bunget's OM is really good one along with N' Crugu Bradului. Drudkh's Autumn Aurora and Forgotten Legends also should be listed here. I'd also go with Rain Upon the Impure by The Ruins of Beverast and Summoning's Stronghold. Gris is great one too, but can it be counted as atmospheric?

Ash Borer - Cold of Ages
Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane (I'm a little iffy on this being "atmospheric" but its so great and close enough why not)
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
Dordeduh - Dar De Duh
Enslaved - Isa
Weakling - Dead as Dreams
Wodensthrone - Loss
Wolves in The Throne Room - Black Cascade
Wolves in The Throne Room - Two Hunters

I'm checking out that Weakling album, pretty fucking good so far.

The Drudkh albums would have been on my list if I were to expand it, or if it was a different day of the week, lol.

Much saccharine. Much near-djent/'progressive metal'. Much 'spacey atmosphere if your idea of space is a tacky sci fi film'.

I don't think their music is especially bad, but they don't do 'atmosphere' nearly as well as Darkspace. And if I wanted spacey atmospheric BM that was a little more riffy than Darkspace, I could just go to Zhaaral's side project.

The keys (and guitars) are much more constrained. This is a good thing. Alrakis does it okay. Forest Silence and Midnight Odyssey too.

I'd like to find a black metal band that could pull of space ambience as well as... 'Space ambient' artists.

Something like Darkspace or Paysage covering bands like these

Last edited by a moderator: