Top Ten Classic Swedish Metal Albums

Emperor is Norwegian...If this were top ten classic norwegian metal albums, for sure in the nightside eclipse would be there. Possibly #1 for me.

i love how you listed my favorite at the gates album : the red in the sky is ours and not that over rated slaughter of the soul

Mark said:
After a request from Opeth.com, the off-topic forum has been closed, and all threads therein have been moved to UM's general chat forum (a link has been placed at the top of this forum for your convenience).

Please note, this forum is for Opeth discussion only. Flame wars, personal attacks, and other disruptive behaviour will not be tolerated - anyone wishing to push these limits may well find their account suspended without notice.

This forum is provided (and paid for) by Opeth for discussion about the band's music and performances. Please refrain from using it for anything else.

:lol: this is definately not off topic... pretty much all of these include one or more Opeth albums. If this IS off topic, this forum sucks, as the allowed thread topics are too limited...

Land Of Grey And Pink said:
im a jackass for picking slaughter of the soul? Slaughter of the soul is arguably the pinnacle album for modern swedish metal as most know it...as good as with fear i kiss the burning darkness is...to say that is their classic album over slaughter is just neglecting the statistics. id pick gardens of grief over burning darkness if we were just going for older album validity.
Slaughter of the Soul was the pinnacle of nothing. It just saw ATG going from a fairly innovative and compositionally brilliant band to some watered down pseudo-thrash band. The majority of music that the album inspired or paved the way for was crap as well. Unless you like all the At the Gates worship that goes on in metal (well really its more SotS worship, since all the ripoffs only seem to have heard that At the Gates album).

It just truly angers me when people worship Slaughter of the Soul so much as if it was something groundbreaking. The Red in the Sky is Ours, Gardens of Grief, and With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness are all better albums by a landslide, and no one ever talks about them.

1.Opeth - Blackwater Park
2.Opeth - Still Life
3.In Flames - Jester Race
4.Corporation 187 - Perfection in Pain
5.At the Gates - with Fear i kiss the burning darkness
6.The Haunted - made me do it
7.Dimension Zero - Silent Night Fever
8.The Crown - Crowned in Terror
9.Arch enemy - burning bridges
10.Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos

im a huge fan of melodic death so sorry about such lil selection :cry:

Opeth - Morningrise
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Hyprocrisy - Abducted
The Crown - Deathrace King
Amon Amarth - The Crusher
Opeth - Still Life
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Dark Tranquillity - Projector
Dark Tranquillity - Haven
At the Gates - With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness

ThePhilosopher said:
Slaughter of the Soul was the pinnacle of nothing. It just saw ATG going from a fairly innovative and compositionally brilliant band to some watered down pseudo-thrash band. The majority of music that the album inspired or paved the way for was crap as well. Unless you like all the At the Gates worship that goes on in metal (well really its more SotS worship, since all the ripoffs only seem to have heard that At the Gates album).

It just truly angers me when people worship Slaughter of the Soul so much as if it was something groundbreaking. The Red in the Sky is Ours, Gardens of Grief, and With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness are all better albums by a landslide, and no one ever talks about them.

Watered down? Slaughter still contains some of the most innovative, melodic, and even technical death metal riffs you could find at the time....thrash influence aside....death metal evolved from thrash anyway, so that argument hardly holds water in my eyes. Besides, its very hard to have an elitest standpoint on anything swedish and melodic like this, so i dont quite see what exactly youre arguing. Theres people here voting "corporation 187, and hypocrisy" albums as being classics...so i think you have bigger fish to fry in the complaint department.

yourdeadgroom said:
:lol: Angela has nothing to do with it. I can't stand Johan's vocals, IMO he ruined their first 3 albums. I like Angela's vocals very much. The problem is, WOS has too many run-of-the-mill songs (and yes, it does have about 4 top notch songs), the album as a whole loses momentum half way through, and IMHO the Amott brothers appear to have stopped trying when it comes to soloing, they now just rely on generic leads rather than doing anything interesting. Black Earth atleast has some fire to it.

I agree man,it really drops off towards the end and that sux since the first half of the album is damn amazing. The bonus track is my favorite song on there though.

in order
arch enemy - burning bridges
marduk - panzer division marduk
opeth - orchid
in flames - the jester race
hypocrisy - abducted
arch enemy - stigmata
opeth - my arms your hearse
arch enemy - wages of sin
hypocrisy - catch 22
in flames - clayman

now i dont like swedish scene so much.. meh

opeth - both MAYH and SL
at the gates - slaughter of the Soul
meshugga - destroy erase improve
soilwork - APP
in flames - whoracle
edge of sanity - purgatory afterglow

these are the most essential to me

Watered down? Slaughter still contains some of the most innovative, melodic, and even technical death metal riffs you could find at the time....thrash influence aside....death metal evolved from thrash anyway, so that argument hardly holds water in my eyes. Besides, its very hard to have an elitest standpoint on anything swedish and melodic like this, so i dont quite see what exactly youre arguing. Theres people here voting "corporation 187, and hypocrisy" albums as being classics...so i think you have bigger fish to fry in the complaint department.
Innovative, melodic, and technical? Hmm, with those criteria, lets evaluate a few songs.

"Cold" off of Slaughter of the Soul vs. "The Break of Autumn" from WFIKTBD. Oh yeah, "Cold" is so much technical, melodic, and innovative.:rolleyes:

ThePhilosopher said:
Innovative, melodic, and technical? Hmm, with those criteria, lets evaluate a few songs.

"Cold" off of Slaughter of the Soul vs. "The Break of Autumn" from WFIKTBD. Oh yeah, "Cold" is so much technical, melodic, and innovative.:rolleyes:

I didnt say that every song on slaughter is more technical or melodic than any song on WFIKTBD dumb dumb. you really should pay attention. But if youd like to do that...lets compare "World Of Lies" to "Raped By The Light Of Christ". :rolleyes:

moron.

Whatever, im not going to argue with you anymore about this silly swedish metal nonsense. You obviously think you know everything, which is fine...feel special, its your opinion...but i refuse to further argue anything that is just opinion anyway.

the keyword here is "CLASSIC"!!
The keyword here is "GAYLORD"!!
:Spin:
Naaaaaa,

die voor je, lamlul. :p

But seriously, Slaughter of th Soul is indeed the pinnacle of modern swedish death.
Can't deny that.

But classic, come on.... :loco:

I'd say:

At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin

Well, I'm too affraid the rest of album names I would post aren't classic :rolleyes:

Opeth-My Arms, Your Hearse
Dawn-Slaughtersun
Rosicrucian-Silence
Candlemass-Nightfall
Edge of Sanity-Crimson
In Flames-Jester Race
Ebony Tears-Tortura Insomniae
Arch Enemy-Burning Bridges
Diabolical Masquerade-Nightwork
Dissection-Storm of the Lights Bane

i'd like to say sorry here to 'The land of Grey and Pink'

I was drunk when I wrote that previous post and it's not very nice, sorry 'bout that :rolleyes:

I think Slaughter Of The Soul was THE most important album as influence for modern Swedish Death-metal.

And i also like Arch Enemy and especially Wages, but i can't really help that now, can I? :p