Top Ten Guitarists - and the twins!!

JayKeeley said:
Savatage are not power metal per se (according to the Helloweenies), but then neither are Iced Earth, Nevemore, or Children of Bodom. But guess what? The power metal crowd thinks they all are. The bands consider themselves to be power metal - they're not lining up to play the ProgPower fest to fill a prog slot! That would be left to the likes of Pain of Salvation, Porcupine Tree, or Zero Hour.

Not all power metal has to be derivative of Helloween.

Who cares what the power metal crowd thinks? I don't think any of the bands you mentioned are power metal, which is such a lame term anyways. When it comes to bands that are often labeled this joke of a term, I just call them heavy fucking metal.

Papa Josh said:
Who cares what the power metal crowd thinks? I don't think any of the bands you mentioned are power metal, which is such a lame term anyways. When it comes to bands that are often labeled this joke of a term, I just call them heavy fucking metal.

So what the fuck is the difference between power metal and heavy metal?! :lol: And if they're so interchangeable, then is there even a debate?

I'm not even sure what constitutes power metal anymore or whether it is merely a pseudonym for traditional metal (the fact that it has become synonymous with 80s recycling points in this direction), but I am certain that most of the genre lacks power...

JayKeeley said:
So what the fuck is the difference between power metal and heavy metal?! :lol: And if they're so interchangeable, then is there even a debate?

I've always thought of Power Metal as high-pitched Heavy Metal :B

Ayeka said:
I've always thought of Power Metal as high-pitched Heavy Metal :B

...except for Falconer, Children of Bodom, Jag Panzer, etc ad nauseum...

I think power metal = heavy metal. I think about 10 years ago, it was Helloween and their like, but now everyone and their uncle gets the tag.

Can someone listen to Judas Priest & Dio and write-off 'power metal' as a genre altogether? Likewise, can someone who likes Hammerfall and Running Wild write-off 'heavy metal'?

JayKeeley said:
...except for Falconer, Children of Bodom, Jag Panzer, etc ad nauseum...

...none of which I have ever listened to :p The Power Metal I have heard is wonderfully high-pitched :) please do not piss on my fire ;)

Ayeka said:
please do not piss on my fire ;)

pissing_fire_hydrant.jpg

God forbid if people begin to think that Metallica's - St. Anger is actually Heavy Metal!...it wouldn't surprise me if they did. I would call St.Anger Gay Metal 'intruding' Arse Metal!

god damn nad said:
1. Jerry Cantrell
2. Bill Steer
3. Peter Tagtgren
4. Trey Azagthoth
5. Kerry King
6. Pepper Keenan
7. John Christ
8. Mikael Akerfeldt
9. Jon Nodtveidt
10. Logan Mader
i'm changing this. top 10 in no particular order:

dimebag darrell
bill steer
peter tägtgren
trey azagthoth
kerry king
dave mustaine
james hetfield
josh homme (kyuss = metal)
j. yuenger
jerry cantrell

1) Blakkheim ( Brave Muder Day)
2) Don Anderson ( Pale Folklore)
3) Mike Scalzi ( Down Among the Deadmen)
4) Chuck Schuldiner ( Symbolic)
5) Bart Frydrychowicz ( Defiant Imagination)
6) Daniel Mongrain ( Warp Zone)
7) Trey Azagthoth ( Formulas Fatal To The Flesh)
8) Syriak ( _We, Invaders)
9) Jason Mendonca ( Choronzon )
10) Melechesh Ashmedi ( Sphynx)

Never got the "Power Metal" meaning , sometimes it is referred to as Stratovarius , Blind Guardian , Angra , COB etc.. and sometimes , mostly in some European countries I think , as Pantera/Nevermore etc..

Go figure :err:

hehe ... this thread is great. all the old farts are here (and I am talking about the forum users not the bands mentioned)

Ok, The Eagles, while gay, have their place in rock, more so than let's say ... Dream Theater in metal ... The Eagles to me DEFINE California and the lifestyle in their music ... they were no musical geniuses, and probably a step below in schmaltziness from Chicago ... but they knew how to write a fucking great country/rock song.
As I mentioned in some other thread before, to me this is harder than Vai fucking masturbating away on 10 tracks into nowhere.

haha! "j. yuenger"? i thought that guy disappeared of the face of the universe! wha' happened?

he did some demo after zombie and worked with a few other dudes i think, none of which i've heard of course. need to seek these out, tried once and failed.

i just remember a few months ago becoming re-obsessed with astro creep and realizing how fucking awesome that dude was. that dude was so heavy and so catchy and so creative and so this and so that and blah blah blah.