Top Ten Guitarists - and the twins!!

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
First of all, is it wrong to be aroused when looking at the current front page of Rolling Stone?

00331067.jpg

The magazine also ran a poll to determine the top 10 guitarists of all time - here are the results:

01. Jimi Hendrix
02. Duane Allman
03. B.B. King
04. Eric Clapton
05. Robert Johnson
06. Jimmy Page
07. Keith Richards
08. Chuck Berry
09. Stevie Ray Vaughn
10. Ry Cooder

Obviously these are all 'classic' rock or blues guitarists....the thing I don't get though is Chuck Berry. I think he is way overhyped [as a player] to be honest. I would have replaced him with Jeff Beck or Pete Townsend personally. AND NO GEORGE HARRISON?????

Do you think we could attempt a top 10 list of metal guitarists? Shouldn't really take much brain power if you already know who your favorites are....

Go on, make a list - should be interesting to see the diversity. :Spin:

1. Jerry Cantrell
2. Bill Steer
3. Peter Tagtgren
4. Trey Azagthoth
5. Kerry King
6. Pepper Keenan
7. John Christ
8. Mikael Akerfeldt
9. Jon Nodtveidt
10. Logan Mader

Bill Steer was my #1 for years until Degradation Trip came out last year.

And yes, a classic rock list without George Harrison is HERESY. :mad: Also, no Tony Iommi???

The Olson Twins each comprise one half of the antichrist, together they are unstopable. Flee, humanity, flee!!!

NAD said:
And yes, a classic rock list without George Harrison is HERESY. :mad: Also, no Tony Iommi???

In that case, where's Ritchie Blackmore or Davie Gilmour too?

The Olson Twins each comprise one half of the antichrist, together they are unstopable. Flee, humanity, flee!!!

Satan rules. \m/

JayKeeley said:
Satan rules. \m/
The Olson Two are no doubt metal. :Shedevil::Shedevil:

I must admit a classic rock list would be nearly impossible to create. Robert Fripp is most certainly my favorite. I hate Clapton almost as much as I hate the fucking Eagles, so none of them get on the list. :loco:

NAD said:
I hate Clapton almost as much as I hate the fucking Eagles, so none of them get on the list. :loco:

:lol: Haddsie hates the Eagles with a passion. I also think Clapton is an overrated guitarist, although there is a really good live album of his (at the Albert Hall I think) where his live rendition of "White Room" just fucking smokes! Seriously, he just lets it rip, and I think it's the only time where he goes nuts and doesn't seem so preoccupied making sure he stays in the pentatonic major.

THANK YOU BOTH!!!! Fuck me, even my BOSS yelled at me once for hating Clapton, and all my friends think I'm nuts for hating the Eagles. Cream kicked ass, but that was all Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker man, Clapton was inconsequential to that group.

"Look man, I've had a long day, and I really fucking hate the Eagles man!"
--The Dude (from Big Lebowski)

I'm looking for room to add Max Cavalera and Dimebag Darrell to my top ten... hmmm.

OK to the list (and their defining moments):

1 - Randy Rhoads (Diary of a Madman / Tribute)
2 - Adrian Smith (Somewhere in Time)
3 - Jake E Lee (Bark at the Moon)
4 - Dave Mustaine (So Far, So Good...So What)
5 - James Hetfield (Ride the Lightning)
6 - Dave Murray (Powerslave)
7 - Yngwie Malmsteen (Rising Force)
8 - Chris DeGarmo (Operation Mindcrime)
9 - EDIT: Max Cavalera (Arise) DELETE: Criss Oliva (Gutter Ballet)
10 - Marty Friedman (Rust in Peace)

By the way, to explain the entire list, all I have to tell you is that I was born in 1970. So everything post 1990 is icing or rehashed IMO. :D

:Smokedev:

NAD said:
I'm looking for room to add Max Cavalera...

For fucks sake, I knew I'd forgotten someone....let me think....Criss Oliva might have to be moved to the bench.

You just can't deny that everything from Bestial Devastation through to Roots is, on average, better than anything Savatage ever put out, except maybe Gutter Ballet which is on par. But I mean, Arise alone puts Max in the list.

General Zod said:
Any list that leaves off Steve Vai is inherently flawed.

GZ

Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Tony Macalpine, Vinnie Moore - all great guitarists / shredders....but tough to make it into the top ten just through lack of song writing capabilities....

Anyway, where's your 'flawless' list you mong?! Come on....and none of this Zero Hour crap either. :D

NAD said:
I hate Clapton almost as much as I hate the fucking Eagles, so none of them get on the list. :loco:

Haha, I was just about to agree wholeheartedly to this when I saw that JayKeeley did it for me! Clapton, like a hundred years ago, was cool. Clapton today makes me want to poke my eardrums out with the nearest icepick. I can't stand all of this "B.B. King is my best friend" bullshit. Why does Eric Clapton think he's some kind of poor foke who grew up listening to the neighbors strum the blues on the front porch in Alabama suddenly.... what happened to the days when it was all about being on too many drugs and cool shit like that?!

AND THE EAGLES!!! :puke: :puke: :puke: Hearing the Eagles on the radio is like a traumatic experience for me now. It's "adult contemporary" at it's worst..... No, wait, I take that back, the Moody Blues is adult contemporary at it's worst, but the Eagles is a close second.

Ugh, just thinking about that makes me want to listen to something really fucking hateful right now.

JayKeeley said:
First of all, is it wrong to be aroused when looking at the current front page of Rolling Stone?

There's a very simple answer to that question: Yes! :lol: (and you knew I was going to say that!)

haddsie said:
There's a very simple answer to that question: Yes! :lol:

That's what makes it arousing. That's why they call it 'barely legal'...muwahahahaha. And the photograph is intended to make you think that anyway - otherwise they'd be in cute flowery hats rolling in the field with bunny rabbits, not in that 'come and get some double action and oops I lost a button' pose.

The media subjecting this sexy trend amongst women rules. If ZOG is behind it, then I'm getting rid of all my NSBM.

NAD said:
I hate Clapton almost as much as I hate the fucking Eagles,

I'll throw in my support for this one, Clapton is such a motherfucker, I hate him with a passion. And the Eagles were one of the worst things to ever happen to music, but as a wise man once said... them breaking up was one of the worst things to happen. Fuck! They all go solo...

JayKeeley said:
9 - EDIT: Max Cavalera (Arise) DELETE: Criss Oliva (Gutter Ballet)

Absolutely criminal.... if Oliva were still alive (R.I.P.), I'm sure his vision and ability would be 100 times that of Cavalera. Soulfly sucks sweaty cocks through gloryholes...

Oliva was the man. It's a damn shame what happened to him. A true veteran of metal, unlike this farce that has more to do with Deftones and Limp Bizkit than Morbid Angel or Napalm Death.

That's my two fucking cents. :Smug:

Papa Josh said:
Absolutely criminal.... if Oliva were still alive (R.I.P.), I'm sure his vision and ability would be 100 times that of Cavalera. Soulfly sucks sweaty cocks through gloryholes...

I object! That is speculative. And even when he was alive, why did we get such utter tripe like Edge of Thorns - one of the most overrated albums in history?

Oliva was the man. It's a damn shame what happened to him.

People become so gay about this just because he died in a car accident or whatever - like he's the only musician who's ever died tragically....come on.

A true veteran of metal, unlike this farce that has more to do with Deftones and Limp Bizkit than Morbid Angel or Napalm Death.

Don't be stoopid. Just because Metallica are shit now doesn't change the fact that their earlier stuff rules. Same with Max: Sepultura from Bestial Devastation through to Roots is all classic (each in their own way). Granted, everything after that has been sub par but you can't take away the stuff he played/wrote for Sepultura.

Criss Oliva is a demi-god no doubt, but there are better Sepultura albums than there are Savatage albums. I move him to the #11 spot.

That's my two fucking cents.

Keep your coinage sucka and just provide a list of your own you dirty mofo. And I'll bet $100 you include Devin Townsend....show me the money.

JayKeeley said:
I object! That is speculative. And even when he was alive, why did we get such utter tripe like Edge of Thorns - one of the most overrated albums in history?

A great album in its own right. The title track still kicks ass live to this day.

People become so gay about this just because he died in a car accident or whatever - like he's the only musician who's ever died tragically....come on.

Never once did I say that he was. I just think that, if you can't handle your fucking booze, don't get behind the wheel. Those fucks should've been severly punished.

Don't be stoopid. Just because Metallica are shit now doesn't change the fact that their earlier stuff rules. Same with Max: Sepultura from Bestial Devastation through to Roots is all classic (each in their own way). Granted, everything after that has been sub par but you can't take away the stuff he played/wrote for Sepultura.

Whatever, Roots is one of the MOST OVERRATED cds ever. Never liked Bestila much. Schizophrenia was good, but as long as you have Beneath the Remains and Arise, you're set. Don't get me wrong, I have everything from Schizo.. to Nation, I just don't think in a million years that they were better than the mighty 'tage.

Hall of the Motherfuckin' Mountain King!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Streets
Gutter Ballet
Dead Winter Dead
Poets & Madmen

All bad ass, hell I could list 'em all, but I have to get ready to make my 10 minute commute down the street to work! I will try to get on at work.

Oh, and no, I wouldn't include Devin in my top 10 guitarists list, maybe songwriters, but not guitarists. :cool:

Papa Josh said:
A great album in its own right. The title track still kicks ass live to this day.

Zak Stevens kills it for me. He just cannot carry a note and he lacks any vibrato in his voice. It's almost as lame as James Labrie. Both of them sound like they're singing in the shower or something. But anyway, I don't want to open a can of worms on DT here, but I really do dislike Zak Stevens just because he was hailed as some great singer when he was really just an average frontman. And the songs were weak IMO.

I just don't think in a million years that they were better than the mighty 'tage.

OK let's see what we've got here:

Hall of the Motherfuckin' Mountain King - Excellent, their 2nd best
Streets - Too theatrical and gay for me - I did like the reprise of "When the crowds are Gone" from ...Ballet
Gutter Ballet - Their best by far, even if they did rip off the "Hallowed be thy Name" riff in the title track, hehhehe
Dead Winter Dead - not bad, used to own it, don't anymore
Poets & Madmen - I've tried to listen to this a hundred times and it just never picks up for me. It just doesn't click for me.

Perhaps on a par then, where Sepultura have their BTR and Arise, and Savatage have HotMK and Gutter Ballet. I don't think Criss Oliva is bad by any means, I just think that Sepultura have meant more to me personally than Savatage, hence Max has to be in my list.